Gibson Brands Forums

Which Amp?

awel

Hi,

I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom and a SG std and a Mesa Dual Rectifier.

For my stoner band the Mesa is OK but I find it a litlle bit 'cold' for blues sound and as I am more and more in the blues rock [unsure] ; which amp do you advize that can bring me that warm and smooth tone I am looking for?

Thanks

I'm not an expert, but doesn't Vox or Fender have the "bluesy"-amps? What blues-rock are you into, like Hendix or Cream?

Yes something like that, close to the brown sound of Clapton in the 70's or Carlos Santana in the 70's too.

All the test and videos I can found on the Laney VC30 but as well the video sound seems excellent as well in some forum a lot of people says that the power tubes and speakers are cheap made

[crying]

what about the fender blues deluxe?

Yes something like that, close to the brown sound of Clapton in the 70's or Carlos Santana in the 70's too.

All the test and videos I can found on the Laney VC30 but as well the video sound seems excellent as well in some forum a lot of people says that the power tubes and speakers are cheap made

[crying]

what about the fender blues deluxe?

I've tried out the VC15 in a shop with a strat. Super little amp.

I've tried out the VC15 in a shop with a strat. Super little amp.

That's what I was thinking when watching the test on Youtube, and that was exactly the kind of sound I was looking for, but when I am reading users opinion :(

pfff, the gear what a hell, it seems that quality is not easy to find at 'normal' price, I mean now quality of marshall are very low, fender, I don't know and boogie seems too cold for me.

I'm happy with my Blues jr, except for the fact that there's no line out, but that's common for tube amps. Go to your local music store and try a fender Blues jr.

I have tried it too, and I really liked it but 15 W is not enough to play with a drummer. I was more thinking about a 30W at least.

What do you think?

You may want to look at the Mesa Transatlantic. I just got one a few weeks ago and I love the bluesy tones. It's 25 watts but it is a loud 25 watts!

May I ask you which guitar you're playing with and do you have put some videos on you youtube or some of 'home made' sound samples?

I have tried it too, and I really liked it but 15 W is not enough to play with a drummer. I was more thinking about a 30W at least.

What do you think?

I recently just picked up the new updated Fender Hot Rod Deluxe....and it's a hell of an amp and plenty loud...It handle's pedals like no other, and it has that great Fender cleans..

May I ask you which guitar you're playing with and do you have put some videos on you youtube or some of 'home made' sound samples?

I'm playing a LP Studio and a Strat, sorry I don't have any clips but check out youtube for demos there are several on there. Here's a pretty good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nppczTLYQ8&feature=related

I'm playing a LP Studio and a Strat, sorry I don't have any clips but check out youtube for demos there are several on there. Here's a pretty good one:

thanks a lot, true this Mesa is very warm tone.

[thumbup]

Hi,

I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom and a SG std and a Mesa Dual Rectifier.

For my stoner band the Mesa is OK but I find it a litlle bit 'cold' for blues sound and as I am more and more in the blues rock [unsure] ; which amp do you advize that can bring me that warm and smooth tone I am looking for?

Thanks

Mesa's "Cold?" Have you tried cutting back on the Mid-range, and Treble, a bit?

Mesa's have always seemed like "Hot Rodded" Fenders, to me. Vox and Marshall, are

a bit "darker" in tone, but even they can be made brighter, with the right settings.

Crank up the bass, cut back the treble and mids, and things should "round" out, and/or

warm up, nicely. Just my 2-cent's worth.

Personally, I use Fender and Marshall amps, but I've never heard a Mesa, or Vox (Tube amp) that I didn't

like, either. So...???

Also, if money's no object, check out Matchless, Dr.Z, Bad Cat, and others, of that ilk.

CB

You might try out Egnator amps. Very versatile. Their Renagade may be perfect for you, and they have other great models as well; great amps...Bowdiddly is right about the Trans Atlantics; sweet amps.

And in response to a comment you made earlier; don't forget that you can always switch out speakers and up-grade the TUBES, and doing both carefully can revitalize a 'dead' amp and turn a good amp into a tone monster.......If you choose to do that, these guys will advise you with great finese....Check out Egnators though, got me a handful of em......

But, as a cork sniffin' luddite drinkin' the kool aid, they know more than I do....!!!

[confused][unsure] :unsure: [crying][scared][drool][lol] [lol]

Mesa's "Cold?" Have you tried cutting back on the Mid-range, and Treble, a bit?

Mesa's have always seemed like "Hot Rodded" Fenders, to me. Vox and Marshall, are

a bit "darker" in tone, but even they can be made brighter, with the right settings.

Crank up the bass, cut back the treble and mids, and things should "round" out, and/or

warm up, nicely. Just my 2-cent's worth.

Personally, I use Fender and Marshall amps, but I've never heard a Mesa, or Vox (Tube amp) that I didn't

like, either. So...???

Also, if money's no object, check out Matchless, Dr.Z, Bad Cat, and others, of that ilk.

CB

Thank you, I will try your advises.

sadly like for most of us ... money is an issue

[biggrin]

Archived