Gibson Brands Forums

Nut not centered...

alans056

Hello

I replaced the nut on my Les Paul Custom today.

I glued it with superglue.

Now the thing is, it's not PERFECTLY centered... The strings are not perfectly in the middle of the neck... Like 1 mm or something...

Is this a thing I can live with ?

Thanks

Whether or not you can live with this is your decision. In some aspects 1mm is not much, in others, it's everything. Play it for a while to determine if you need to reset the nut.

+1

Which way is the skew? If it's toward the treble side, that could cause problems with the high E slipping off the fretboard when fretted or bent.

Doesn't really look that bad. But why don't you just reset it? It would drive me nuts if I knew it wasn't right, otherwise.

And use Elmer's White glue NOT superglue!!! - much easier to work with and adjust.

A small drop front and back is all it takes.

That's not a Gibson. Why post it here?

[crying][crying][crying] BWAAAAAAAAAA...We're not WORTHY....Sob, sob.

Not a Gibson specific question.

Maybe the OP was looking for some productive insightful help from those who might know.

BRAVO to you, Sir! That IS what a FORUM is all about! +1.

I can NOT play if the strings are too close to the bass side. I need them centered. But I play drop D with heavy vibrato. I suggest having a professional route the nut next time, you can avoid any headaches from too high strings, buzzing etc. if you find a good luthier...

The nut seems a bit too flat also, I like them rounded off towards the headstock. Gives it more of a punchier snap if less of the string is caught in the nut...

Archived