Gibson Brands Forums

White Stripes

Silenced Fred

I generally like Jack's playing. I loved all the slide of the first couple of White Stripes albums. I think he backed off of the slide playing on purpose so as not to get pigeon-holed, but I think it might be time to back off the Whammy Pedal now. That screechy stuff is getting a little old.

Not to outright condemn Jack White as a musician, because frankly I think he's very talented and I actually liked the White Stripes stuff when it was coming out (although I sort of lost interest post-Elephant,) I thought a lot of the Raconteurs stuff was pretty good, and I have admittedly very little experience with the Dead Weather, I have to say that the biggest problem that I have with Jack White is what I tend to call a "contrived rawness." It seems to me that the prevailing notion behind his music is that he's making music that is portrayed as raw and heartfelt, and so everything he uses in his performance is some piece of junky gear that he picked out as a suggestion of rawness and authenticity (because any guitar not made of plastic or plywood is totally pretentious.) At the same time, he performs music which is very abstract and high-concept, essentially as extrapolations of alt-rock with topical blues-rock trappings. Basically, he's fetishizing certain qualities of his idols and influences, and at the same time constructing a marketable "indie" image--in essence, I see it as blues for the hipster set. Again, this isn't to undermine the positive qualities of his work, I just feel the need to point this out because there's something about his image and his performance style which bother me very much, and to me it represents a contemporary sort of disconnect between content and performance, where the performance style and image are contrived in order to be a certain way to appeal to a certain type of audience and take precedence in informing musical decisions. He's gotten better about this lately, I think--the performance with Conan, by the way, I thought was phenomenal--but I always feel like Jack White, the image and the performer, is being sold to me. I suppose that's the way it usually tends to be, what with Ted Nugent and his animal hides, The Beatles and their Mod suits, CCR and their "down-home" image, every metal band ever, and so on, but there's something about Jack White, something that seems to me like it's so pandering and insincere, that really bugs me. Of course, this is all perception, so make of it what you will and feel free to flame me for it.

I loved "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground," though.

...And I like how Meg White's breasts move when she drums. Just sayin'.

Yeah but I don't think Jack ever came out and said "Hey check me out I'm super raw and bluesy I DGAF and I only use crappy guitars because anything else is pretentious." I think critics pinned that on him and it stuck. He uses nice guitars like Gibsons and Gretschs all the time.

Not to outright condemn Jack White as a musician, because frankly I think he's very talented and I actually liked the White Stripes stuff when it was coming out (although I sort of lost interest post-Elephant,) I thought a lot of the Raconteurs stuff was pretty good, and I have admittedly very little experience with the Dead Weather, I have to say that the biggest problem that I have with Jack White is what I tend to call a "contrived rawness." It seems to me that the prevailing notion behind his music is that he's making music that is portrayed as raw and heartfelt, and so everything he uses in his performance is some piece of junky gear that he picked out as a suggestion of rawness and authenticity (because any guitar not made of plastic or plywood is totally pretentious.) At the same time, he performs music which is very abstract and high-concept, essentially as extrapolations of alt-rock with topical blues-rock trappings. Basically, he's fetishizing certain qualities of his idols and influences, and at the same time constructing a marketable "indie" image--in essence, I see it as blues for the hipster set. Again, this isn't to undermine the positive qualities of his work, I just feel the need to point this out because there's something about his image and his performance style which bother me very much, and to me it represents a contemporary sort of disconnect between content and performance, where the performance style and image are contrived in order to be a certain way to appeal to a certain type of audience and take precedence in informing musical decisions. He's gotten better about this lately, I think--the performance with Conan, by the way, I thought was phenomenal--but I always feel like Jack White, the image and the performer, is being sold to me. I suppose that's the way it usually tends to be, what with Ted Nugent and his animal hides, The Beatles and their Mod suits, CCR and their "down-home" image, every metal band ever, and so on, but there's something about Jack White, something that seems to me like it's so pandering and insincere, that really bugs me. Of course, this is all perception, so make of it what you will and feel free to flame me for it.

I loved "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground," though.

...And I like how Meg White's breasts move when she drums. Just sayin'.

"The White Stripes are the most planned band, by being the least planned band."

Its ok, its your opinion. I believe you are wrong, but whatever. its your choice. He didn't choose that, he found something and it works. I mean even if he did, I don't care about image. He makes kick *** music. To call it blues for hipsters? Hell no. Bonamassa is the blues for the masses

XDemonknight,

I fully disagree. Jack White is the real deal. The whole junky equipment thing is from growing up poor in Detroit. I am sure that if he could have afforded a Les Paul and Marshall amp he would have had that. Take a look at his Detroit contemporaries like the Dirtbombs or Von Bondies. It's all used, cheap gear because that is what they could afford. Second, you can tell that Jack played every show like it was his last. He never expected to make it, but approached it with a F it attitude; I am going to go all out because who knows. Lastly, the guy is honestly a freak and he embraces it whole heartily. If he is anything like me on stage a switch flips and you are not the same person.

Archived