Gibson Brands Forums

OK, just out of curiosity...

Shnate McDuanus

How many of you decide you're going listen to some music, only to find yourself analyzing every detail of every song as soon as you press play?

I do it a lot and it drives me crazy. I shouldn't spend so much time rewinding and replaying Pete Townshend's fills on Live at Leeds, but let's just say that, the way I listen to it it's the longest 38 minutes ever put on tape.

I don't really pay attention to lyrics, but I notice bad ones. Early Kiss and Robin Trower come to mind. I also notice bad song structure, like some of Budges stuff that ran on too long or had parts added that didn't make sense within the song. The biggest letdown I've ever heard was when the bass comes in on Rick Derringer's Let Me In. Great guitar sounds with a great riff, but the bass comes in and over powers everything.

I shouldn't spend so much time rewinding and replaying Pete Townshend's fills on Live at Leeds, but let's just say that, the way I listen to it it's the longest 38 minutes ever put on tape.

Tape?

Really?

theres this cool digital format now called MP3......

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

Just busting your balls.

Call me crazy,

I always find my self listening to production values on studio albums,

to the point of, now before going into the studio I usually listen to Appetite For Destruction (IMO best produced studio album in rock.) looped for days before hand, just gets my head in the right place.

How many of you decide you're going listen to some music, only to find yourself analyzing every detail of every song as soon as you press play?

I do it a lot and it drives me crazy. I shouldn't spend so much time rewinding and replaying Pete Townshend's fills on Live at Leeds, but let's just say that, the way I listen to it it's the longest 38 minutes ever put on tape.

i'm like that with a few albums, one of them being metallica's "black" album...iv'e played that album to death since day one and when i listen to it now i pick out all the drum parts and analyze them, then when i listen again i pick out the guitar and so on and so forth...it's got to the stage where i could play all the instruments/songs backwards if i wanted to [biggrin]

Tape?

Really?

theres this cool digital format now called MP3......

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

Just busting your balls.

The stuff got recorded to magnetic tape before the vinyl was pressed, and before it came out on any other format. That's what I mean, wise guy. [smile]

Call me crazy,

I always find my self listening to production values on studio albums,

to the point of, now before going into the studio I usually listen to Appetite For Destruction (IMO best produced studio album in rock.) looped for days before hand, just gets my head in the right place.

Well, if it's in preparation for your own studio work, I can see nothing wrong with it. Actually, it makes sense to me.

No i still enjoy the music for what it is...if i find myself tearing it apart, why am I listening to it?

Give me more credit. I'm not saying I don't enjoy it, it's just that I inadvertently wind up doing this sometimes--a lot, actually, before I catch myself and stop myself from doing it. Good for you, though, that you don't share this tendency.

In which case....

You are Drinking the Wrong Stuff :blink:

Always strive to enjoy your music

Whether playing or listening to :rolleyes::-({|=

Yeah...I probably am drinking the wrong stuff?

What giant cardboard box do you get your wine from?

Kinda like the old hot-rodding days - the cars that were "all show and no go."

Yeah, impressive tricks that fall flat are the kiss of death if there's anybody sober in the audience.

If it's bad enough that the drunks notice . . .

[scared]

When I listen to stuff from way back in my high school days, my ear is very different now.

Some of those songs could have been done so much better.

Or they aren't as good as I remembered.

Sometimes something grabs me that I've missed for 35 years.

I appreciate great arrangements and great mixes, as subjective as that is.

While I'm on that tangent, I heard this song again while I was in town today.

Never liked it to begin with, like it even less now.

The song is mediocre at best, but I absolutely HATE the drums;

Reminds me of the old days of vinyl - is the record stuck?

[thumbup] I do this. I have noticed that MP3’s seem to pick up more detail through my iPod. I will be listing to a 20 or 30 year old song I have heard a million times and catch things I had not noticed in the past. I do the most “re” listing to Tool, there is a lot going on there to me.

Give me more credit. I'm not saying I don't enjoy it, it's just that I inadvertently wind up doing this sometimes--a lot, actually, before I catch myself and stop myself from doing it. Good for you, though, that you don't share this tendency.

Haha ok more credit bequeathed...

I do listen for certain aspects of the songs but i do not rewind and listen and rewind and listen...just every time i hear it, i hear (or listen for) different stuff. I gotcha... [flapper]

Archived