Gibson Brands Forums

"Beano-burst"

pippy

Didn't he play this guitar in the Tommy movie?

clapton%20in%20tommy%20the%20movie.jpg

As the film 'Tommy' came out in '75 (suggesting It was probably shot in '73-'74) and the 'Beano' was stolen in '67(?) it's doubtful the guitar there is the same one.

Clapton went through a few LP's after the one he used on the Bluesbreakers album was stolen. I suspect (although it is only a guess) the one he used in the film is one of those.

P.

As the film 'Tommy' came out in '75 (suggesting It was probably shot in '73-'74) and the 'Beano' was stolen in '67(?) it's doubtful the guitar there is the same one.

Clapton went through a few LP's after the one he used on the Bluesbreakers album was stolen. I suspect (although it is only a guess) the one he used in the film is one of those.

P.

Gotcha. Thank you

Ann-Margret was such a FOX!! [love]

CB

True 'dat. Still is to some degree (for an old lady!). That's the cool part about gettin' old, the older women look better and better, and the young ones still look just a s good.

As for the Beano Burst, well... I'll leave those to whoever. I would dearly love to get an R0 V3 though! THAT should be about as close to that Guitar as Gibson will get (yep, covered pups, and different tuners- but the neck should be similar as should the sound).

From what i understand the 50 S/A are gone. they sold for $19,999 , the Aged are going for $9,999 amd the VOS i think are $5,999.I think the only thing specail will be the pups and and neck size , after that it's an R0. I'm thinking about the aged, but imo there are much nicer lookin guitars out there. i don't think any but the S/A'd will hold value.

Now all we need is a Fool SG! When I was looking at the specs of this guitar, as well as others on Gibson.com, I was shocked to find that the bridges are made out of zinc. I can see it on an Epi but not on a Gibson, let alone a custom shop. You would think that they're made out of steel. Still a nice tribute to EC though.

I got very lucky and it's a long story so I won't get into here and now ,But I'm getting a S/A in mid january. I have the RO ver.3 so I'll review and post pics of both after I have some time to play the new 1. the ver.3 is a great guitar and I truly love it. Lets see how much better if at all the Beano is.We'll see

I got very lucky and it's a long story so I won't get into here and now ,But I'm getting a S/A in mid january. I have the RO ver.3 so I'll review and post pics of both after I have some time to play the new 1. the ver.3 is a great guitar and I truly love it. Lets see how much better if at all the Beano is.We'll see

Great, really looking forward to the comparative review! Even if it's no better than the R0, it's of course a VERY special guitar, congrats on scoring one. For me, the R0 V3 is a specific goal I plan to go after sometime after getting my first Historic (which will probably be either an R6 or R7- I crave the gold!).

On Wednesday 12/22/10, I drove eight hours to pick up a VOS Limited Edition Eric Clapton 1960 Les Paul (Serial # EC 020) from Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin. I didn't want to pay extra for Tom Murphy's "aged" version, and certainly not an extra $20,000 for Eric's signature, (no matter how good his penmanship might be), but the VOS model with its select woods and workmanship, and Clapton's input on its production, made it seem like a guitar I really had to have. Whether this, or any Gibson Custom Shop Limited Edition is a "good investment", only time will tell, but I can tell you that my new Gibson is a very special Les Paul, lightweight and beautifully finished, a joy to play, with "vibe" to spare.

If you get the chance to play one, do, before they're no longer available. This is a great guitar, and I hope to enjoy it for years to come. The Clapton provenance just adds to the fun. Thanks, Gibson. This Limited Edition was a great idea.

And thanks Eric, for years of inspiration.

Jack6849

• 4 weeks later...

You all might have done the smart thing .I was talking to my guy at S/A yesterday and he told me all 55 guitars are now in the UK Having

Mr.Clapton trying all of them out so he can deside which ones he wants.That'a a dream. I hope they take photos with him trying all of them and for the ones he does not take , they give the person who bought that guitar, they also give the picture of Mr Clapton trying it out. That would be very specail and make it one of a kind. Mr. Clapton , I don't know if you read this forum,but if you do ,I would ask you to please consider this. It would be difficult to put into words how much this would mean , to the very lucky few like myself, who will use the guitar and not just put it on display. Thank you.

Jamman

Sounds interesting. I love my EC Strat, and I absolutely love the Beano album, and Clapton is one of my all time favorite guitarists. But I'd be hard pressed to pick up one of these (haven't read all the details yet) when there are already 3 versions of the R0 available (for substantially less money I presume), one of which should be as historically accurate to that guitar as Gibson has yet produced. And I have to question just how much accuracy (to that particular guitar) Eric can contribute, considering he possessed it for around 2 years only, and has not had it in over 40 years. I'd be far more inclined to go for a current R0 model (actually plan to get one within the next year or two).

BTW, this prototype has pickup covers? IIRC, the pics I see from the Beano era of Eric with a Les Paul all show them uncovered.

I agree you as to how much "accurate input EC could put into this particular LP." As somebody stated: ...how much accurate info could Gibson gather from a player who was very young at the time, on a guitar that disappeared over 40 years ago." "Once again marketing triumphs over common sense." He has a point, but IMO, this is a marketing ploy for a truly great LP from a great blues icon.

The prices start at $6K and go up to $20K for the 'Murphy aged', real autograph (enclosed I presume). I auditioned and am seriously considering the $6K version. For a high quality LP with really great pickups that plays great with lower than a snake's belly, action, seems a bit high, but within reason. I could definitely do without the comic book cover. I would prefer the Bluesbreakers album cover art. From a marketing point of view, I would call this LP the 'BLUESBREAKER'...but there may be copyright issues with John Mayall.

As a player for over 50 years (scary), I liked this axe very much! It truly has its own voice and looks very ordinary but sound and plays extraordinary. My other consideration is saving $2,200 and getting the Fender EC Custom Shop Strat or saving $4500 and getting the 'regular stock' EC Blackie Strat model. GC is allowing me a very fair trade in option on this LP, so one more sleepless night at the least, here. Decision needs to meet common sense.

http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/msp_confused.gif

Archived