Gibson Brands Forums

WD Music - Kent Armstrong Pickup deals

brianh

I got a set of these Kent Armstrong P90s last week, haven't installed them yet, but for $60 a pair, it was worth the risk:

More overstock here: http://www.wdmusic.com/PICKUPS_SS.html

Also, I typed in the HALLOWEEN discount code and got another 10% off the order - maybe it'll still work...

Bargain, thanks for the heads up Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a set of these Kent Armstrong P90s last week, haven't installed them yet, but for $60 a pair, it was worth the risk:

WDP90.jpg

Did you install them yet? How do they sound? I've heard good things about KA pickups.

Also, when you bought the set, did you get a reverse wound one? I haven't used humbucker sized P90s before, so I don't know if having one of them reverse wound/reverse polarity is necessary.

Okay, enough questions for now...

No not yet. Hoping to get to some guitar mod work over the long weekend.

I did get a matched set for humbucker effect and a new Epi ES-175 in trade that's begging for P90s.

Also went to the Mojotone booth at the Philly guitar show on Saturday. Got a pre-wired 335 harness with CTS pots, orange drops with treble bleed resistors, and a switchcraft 3-way for cheap.

Will post ASAP.

Question: If I got one of the humbucker sized P90's and put it in the neck position and had a regular humbucker in the bridge, would the P90 need to be reverse wound/polarity or does it matter?

Good question, I'm just about to pull the trigger on an order (21hrs) and have this doubt also, I've trawled a bit and haven't found a suitable answer yet, might look at the DIY section for inspiration.

• 3 weeks later...

What a nightmare it is ordering off these people. I just ordered 2 x Humbucker Distortion Pickup - White, 1 x Humbucker High Output - Gold Cover and 1 x P90 Pickup (Humbucker Retofit) Gold RW/RP.

I asked for a USPS shipping total and was told that to get an accurate USPS shipping total to pay for my order and the cost of shipping would be calculated and forwarded to me. I pay for the pickups and then was told that the 2 x Humbucker Distortion Pickups were out of stock and aren't expected for 2 - 3 weeks, what a bloody hide, they should have notified me of that an out of stock situation existed in their first reply, not after coaxing my payment from me.

Needless to say this has bought 3 of my projects to a screaming halt for an indeterminate period, I should have gone with GFS as I originally intended.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE FOOLS, THEY OPERATE DISHONESTLY, DON'T TRUST THEM.

What a nightmare it is ordering off these people. I just ordered 2 x Humbucker Distortion Pickup - White, 1 x Humbucker High Output - Gold Cover and 1 x P90 Pickup (Humbucker Retofit) Gold RW/RP.

I asked for a USPS shipping total and was told that to get an accurate USPS shipping total to pay for my order and the cost of shipping would be calculated and forwarded to me. I pay for the pickups and then was told that the 2 x Humbucker Distortion Pickups were out of stock and aren't expected for 2 - 3 weeks, what a bloody hide, they should have notified me of that an out of stock situation existed in their first reply, not after coaxing my payment from me.

Needless to say this has bought 3 of my projects to a screaming halt for an indeterminate period, I should have gone with GFS as I originally intended.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE FOOLS, THEY OPERATE DISHONESTLY, DON'T TRUST THEM.

Sorry you've had a bad experience. I got my orders from them accurately and on time. I have yet to install the pickups, because I'm planning to put them in my Dot, and I have pots, caps, jacks, and switches to change out in my Les Paul and G400 first.

I pay for the pickups and then was told that the 2 x Humbucker Distortion Pickups were out of stock and aren't expected for 2 - 3 weeks, what a bloody hide, they should have notified me of that an out of stock situation existed in their first reply, not after coaxing my payment from me.

That's a bummer Rastus, sorry for the trouble. When I ordered, I got everything except a creme soap bar P90 that was out of stock. It came a week or so later, and the shipping was no extra charge.

But you're right - they should make it clear what's in stock and what the lead times for anything that's not, at least on the summary page before you click the purchase button...

But you're right - they should make it clear what's in stock and what the lead times are for anything that's not, at least on the summary page before you click the purchase button...

The thing that upset me the most was I actually had contacted them about shipping and their reply was a shipping quote, and the reccomendation, I pay for the order to get a firmer shipping quote, absolutely no mention of stock levels. So I pay and then am notified of the stock stuff-up after the payment. I could have had GFS pups payed for and on their way for less outlay, but thought the Kent Armstrong's would be better value.

Archived