Gibson Brands Forums

Installing new nut - question

rdsmith3

I put new strings on my Les Paul Traditional Pro. I realize, however, that it needs a new nut. I actually realized that when I took the old strings off, and the D string was stuck in the nut slot. It looks like they cut that slot too low. But I ignored this warning sign because I really wanted to just play my new guitar. I set it up according to specs, and I have a horrible buzz in the D string. Everything else is fine. The string height is just slightly higher than specs, and the neck has a very slight bow in it. I did a decent job with the set up, but the D string is too close to the fret board at the nut.

So ... is it possible to install a new nut without completely removing the old/new strings? I just put a brand new set of DR Pure Blues on it, and I don't want to cut them off. I guess I could just unwind them completely because I know they are going to bother me if they are in the way.

Any advice on this? Thanks.

P.S. I even have a Tusq nut on hand, because I bought two of them, intending to put one on my Dot.

I put new strings on my Les Paul Traditional Pro. I realize, however, that it needs a new nut. I actually realized that when I took the old strings off, and the D string was stuck in the nut slot. It looks like they cut that slot too low. But I ignored this warning sign because I really wanted to just play my new guitar. I set it up according to specs, and I have a horrible buzz in the D string. Everything else is fine. The string height is just slightly higher than specs, and the neck has a very slight bow in it. I did a decent job with the set up, but the D string is too close to the fret board at the nut.

So ... is it possible to install a new nut without completely removing the old/new strings? I just put a brand new set of DR Pure Blues on it, and I don't want to cut them off. I guess I could just unwind them completely because I know they are going to bother me if they are in the way.

Any advice on this? Thanks.

P.S. I even have a Tusq nut on hand, because I bought two of them, intending to put one on my Dot.

If it's just one slot, try filling it with a little Super Glue. Little bit at a time, until it builds up in the slot. Let it dry hard, test the string until the string is just a touch too high, A little light filing and you'll probably be OK.

If you decide to swap the nut, just loosen the strings and move them to the side.

If it's just one slot, try filling it with a little Super Glue. Little bit at a time, until it builds up in the slot. Let it dry hard, test the string until the string is just a touch too high, A little light filing and you'll probably be OK.

If you decide to swap the nut, just loosen the strings and move them to the side.

+1

Whether you "raise" the slot or replace the nut by moving strings to the sides of the neck, you may also want to protect the surrounding areas with some masking tape. (Just in case. Accidents do happen.)

Willy

Almost every nut I have replaced has been with the strings on.

I just loosen them and put them to the side.

I like to keep the strings on because when I'm done I like to be able to put the strings back on quickly to put pressure on the nut while the glue sets.

What everyone else said, plus, (apologies if you know this already) if you do replace the nut, before knocking it out cut around the edges with a scalpel or craft knife so you don't take chunks of varnish with you.

What everyone else said, plus, (apologies if you know this already) if you do replace the nut, before knocking it out cut around the edges with a scalpel or craft knife so you don't take chunks of varnish with you.

I believe the nut goes in after finishing, so it's typically not bonded to the neck by anything other than a drop of glue.

You know, it's possible to do some damage "cutting" around the nut - look closely, if there's nothing to cut - no finish material holding the nut in place - don't bother running a blade around your headstock.

Archived