Gibson Brands Forums

Am I Being Nitpicky?

cabba2203

I've had my Jet City JCA2112RC 1x12 combo amp for just under 3 months now, great sounding amp.

Last night I'm noodling around on it, working on some new stuff when I notice the power light go from bright blue

to very dim blue. I kick the standby on and the light gets bright again. I go off standby and after a couple of seconds the light goes dim again. I made sure nothing funky was going on with my powerstrip. That's when I noticed that the tolex under the rubber strap handle was bubbling up and loose from the board. Only in that spot, nowhere else. The top vent is right in front of the strap area.

Anyway, I sent an email to Jet City a moment ago to get their input about it.

Normally, I wouldn't think much of it, but it's only 3 months old.

The rest of the amp is solid and as I said, sounds killer.

These things are kind of minor and cosmetic, am I being nitpicky by considering warranty repair?

Nah, I don't think you're being nitpicky. I'd worry that the light dimming could be an early indication of some kind of problem. It would be at least a good idea to get it checked out. Maybe try contacting Jet City about it? Maybe it's supposed to be that way? I dunno.

Do you like the tone from that amp? I've been gassing for a nice 50 watt head from Soldano, and those Jet City amps are way more affordable. Their logo is the only thing that bothers me, but that's a minor thing I guess.

I hope you can get to the bottom of that problem with the light.

Do you like the tone from that amp? I've been gassing for a nice 50 watt head from Soldano, and those Jet City amps are way more affordable. Their logo is the only thing that bothers me, but that's a minor thing I guess.

I love the sound of the amp. It's great.

If you don't like the logo, they have "dress kits" for the amp heads that look different.

You can see them on the Jet City website.

I certainly don't think you're being nit-picky.

Any potential problem area needs attention before it becomes an actual problem. When the area in question is handling very high-voltage electricity the importance of resolving the oddity is magnified greatly.

You did well to contact the manufacturer.

P.

I certainly don't think you're being nit-picky.

Any potential problem area needs attention before it becomes an actual problem. When the area in question is handling very high-voltage electricity the importance of resolving the oddity is magnified greatly.

You did well to contact the manufacturer.

+1

I've noticed the light dimming on my JCA20H occasionally, but not consistently. Haven't had any bubbling or anything though.

Definitely the right choice to contact them and consider warranty. Get that stuff looked at.

If you find out whether the light this is supposed to happen or not, please post that info, as now I'm curious if I should be contacting them too. Mine's only a couple months old.

Also, re: their logo. They do sell alternative fronts for the amp. Mostly different color, and one really sweet looking metal mesh one I'm thinking about getting. The logo is held on with two screws, so maybe just take that off and screw in something custom to make it yours? Just a thought.

- B

I love the sound of the amp. It's great.

If you don't like the logo, they have "dress kits" for the amp heads that look different.

You can see them on the Jet City website.

Oh, cool thanks for the info. Sorry to take this thing slightly off topic. Anyway, good luck with finding the cause/solution to that light dimming.

If you find out whether the light this is supposed to happen or not, please post that info, as now I'm curious if I should be contacting them too. Mine's only a couple months old.

I sure will. I really doubt it was meant to do that. I think the bulb may be going or has a poor solder connection.

I don't think it will effect anything as I've had old Marshall heads that the power light would flicker the whole time it was on or blink out for long periods of time and light back up. Just like the tolex thing is just heat building up under the plastic strap when it's flat against the top of the amp and has caused the tolex to lift and deform.

I might mount a fan on the rear blowing outward to pull air in from the top and out the back. I'm sure there is some kind of mod where I can wire it to the amp electronics to power it. That might help.

I've had my Jet City JCA2112RC 1x12 combo amp for just under 3 months now, great sounding amp.

Last night I'm noodling around on it, working on some new stuff when I notice the power light go from bright blue

to very dim blue. I kick the standby on and the light gets bright again. I go off standby and after a couple of seconds the light goes dim again. I made sure nothing funky was going on with my powerstrip. That's when I noticed that the tolex under the rubber strap handle was bubbling up and loose from the board. Only in that spot, nowhere else. The top vent is right in front of the strap area.

Anyway, I sent an email to Jet City a moment ago to get their input about it.

Normally, I wouldn't think much of it, but it's only 3 months old.

The rest of the amp is solid and as I said, sounds killer.

These things are kind of minor and cosmetic, am I being nitpicky by considering warranty repair?

Hey!! I thought it was just my amp, but the same exact thing was happening to my new JCA2112RC which I got 5 days ago. What gives? Its a great sounding amp, but the pilot light seems to becoming faulty already. I'm thinking it was just the lamp bulb, I hope.

Hey!! I thought it was just my amp, but the same exact thing was happening to my new JCA2112RC which I got 5 days ago. What gives? Its a great sounding amp, but the pilot light seems to becoming faulty already. I'm thinking it was just the lamp bulb, I hope.

Wow, sounds like we found an actual parts quality issue. Crappy jewel lights.

I would send an email to Jet City support (support@jetcityamplification.com) and report it.

I wonder if others have reported this yet.....

Hmmm...

This is interesting.

I have the 20 watt head and just recently noticed

that the tolex directly under the handle is sticky,

really sticky. Like someone spilled soda or something there...

I know it wasn't like that before and nobody but me has access

to my man cave / beat lab.

Could the handle be having a chemical reaction with the tolex?

I've never heard of that before but anything's possible I guess.

That's it... I'm gonna yank that handle off right now (just in case).

No problem with my light.

Good luck.

And... oh yeah, I love this amp...

Hmmm...

that the tolex directly under the handle is sticky,

really sticky. Like someone spilled soda or something there...

YES! That's exactly it!

I think it's more a heat thing than chemical reaction due to there being no cooling under the strap, but it could be.

So it's happening on the heads as well, I figured those would stay cooler as there's more venting.

Interesting. Please report it to Jet City.

Wow, sounds like we found an actual parts quality issue. Crappy jewel lights.

I would send an email to Jet City support (support@jetcityamplification.com) and report it.

I wonder if others have reported this yet.....

Will do. These particular model and the head version had a recent price drop from $399 to $299 and they've only been out for less than a year. Is there a connection here with what we are experiencing with QC? I mean, other than the tolex and pilot light issues, this amp sounds amazing for the price.

Found this over at the MLP forums:

Oh, and while you're here, you've probably received several enquiries for a flickering power indicator light when the amp is on. Any insight on what's going on there?

The response from Jet City:

The lamps. ugh. yes, we have had a few problems - my fault. It has been remedied now but we have had some reports from the field.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/76972-jet-city-20w-head-what-cab-2.html

Found some issues with the light mentioned over at Harmony Central too, and just in general with googling around. Seems they mostly just ship you a new bulb assembly. Consensus seems to be "hate to say anything because it's otherwise a great amp, and the light isn't *that* important, but still, you'd expect it to work."

- B

Found this over at the MLP forums:

The response from Jet City:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/76972-jet-city-20w-head-what-cab-2.html

Found some issues with the light mentioned over at Harmony Central too, and just in general with googling around. Seems they mostly just ship you a new bulb assembly. Consensus seems to be "hate to say anything because it's otherwise a great amp, and the light isn't *that* important, but still, you'd expect it to work."

- B

Cool, thanks for the info!

I got a reply from Greg Beekman (SALES OPERATIONS MANAGER - JET CITY AMPLIFICATION) and if it were just the light issue, offered as bschory posted, to send me a replacement light assembly. As my amp is having the other issue, he is going to RA it to be bench checked and repaired. He was really cool about it and eager to get my issue resolved.

So far, Jet City support is 101%!

As it turns out, I never checked when I unboxed my amp, that the internal speaker was plugged into an 8ohm jack and not the 16ohm jack.

Typically, I would have thought that should only effect volume/tone and not the transformer like if I was doing a 4ohm/16ohm mismatch but maybe that's why it was running so hot?

In any case, I'm getting good treatment so far from Jet City.

I got a reply from Greg Beekman (SALES OPERATIONS MANAGER - JET CITY AMPLIFICATION) and if it were just the light issue, offered as bschory posted, to send me a replacement light assembly. As my amp is having the other issue, he is going to RA it to be bench checked and repaired. He was really cool about it and eager to get my issue resolved.

As it turns out, I never checked when I unboxed my amp, that the internal speaker was plugged into an 8ohm jack and not the 16ohm jack.

Typically, I would have thought that should only effect volume/tone and not the transformer like if I was doing a 4ohm/16ohm mismatch but maybe that's why it was running so hot?

Oops, and yes....I'm glad their tech support is 101%...

Good to hear they are taking care of you, and no I don't think thats being nit-picky at all.

That's the type of reply I'm talking about.

Happy customers = Satisfied customers.

Good treatment and a professional response. [thumbup]

Well a big 1++++ [thumbup] for Jet City customer service. I just got off the phone with Greg and he will be sending me the pilot light assembly as well. He stated that the soldering was soldered too hot causing the pilot light to go faulty. I'm so impressed with the JCA2121RC 20watt combo, I may just go ahead and order the 100watt head. Rumors has it that the 100watt head is practically the same design as the popular soldano SLO head.

WOW! [smile]

Instead of me shipping my amp up to NY for testing, as I don't feel there is any internal damage done, I opted for the replacement light assembly be sent to me and to deal with my tolex issue, Greg is sending me an empty, unblemished combo box that he had in his office for me to swap my amp into. That's incredible service!!!

Jet City not only make great sounding amps but their support is above & beyond!

Awesome is all I can say.

WOW! [smile]

Instead of me shipping my amp up to NY for testing, as I don't feel there is any internal damage done, I opted for the replacement light assembly be sent to me and to deal with my tolex issue, Greg is sending me an empty, unblemished combo box that he had in his office for me to swap my amp into. That's incredible service!!!

Jet City not only make great sounding amps but their support is above & beyond!

Awesome is all I can say.

Wow indeed. With that great service, they will sure gain loyal customers. I'm one already. I've been playing the JCA2112RC since I got home from work. It is really a great rock amp.

Archived