Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional

wineredrich

I have a chance to buy a Les Paul Traditional model online. Looking for some info on them. There seems to be two models a "plus" and a "pro". This one has two '57 humbuckers. I think what concerning me is what's being described as a 50's style "fat" neck. Will it feel radically different than the neck radius on my 1980 LP Custom? Need your help 'cause I'm a lefty and although I can and will go pick one up at Guitar Center, I can't really play it. thanks.

All Trads have weight-relieved bodies and short neck tenon. If it has '57s, it's the regular Trad. The Pro has different pickups (I think one '57 and one Burstbucker), slim neck, different finish, push/pull pots. Not sure what you mean you can't play it since you're picking it up in person. Try it, and if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Lots of info on here about them and their difference's. Main difference between the two are simple.

The Plus has a more of a quilt top with two 57's in it and the 50's style neck.

The Pro has has a 57 in the neck and the a Burstbucker 3 in the Bridge position. It also has coil splitting with the pickups. Pro has a plain top as well. 60's style neck on it which is more slimmer than the 50's style.

Not sure how it would compare your 80's LPC, but the neck on my Plus feels right to me and I have small hands.

Hope that helps

Lots of info on here about them and their difference's. Main difference between the two are simple.

The Plus has a more of a quilt top with two 57's in it and the 50's style neck.

The Pro has has a 57 in the neck and the a Burstbucker 3 in the Bridge position. It also has coil splitting with the pickups. Pro has a plain top as well. 60's style neck on it which is more slimmer than the 50's style.

Not sure how it would compare your 80's LPC, but the neck on my Plus feels right to me and I have small hands.

Hope that helps

^ What he said. [thumbup]

I have a chance to buy a Les Paul Traditional model online. Looking for some info on them. There seems to be two models a "plus" and a "pro". This one has two '57 humbuckers. I think what concerning me is what's being described as a 50's style "fat" neck. Will it feel radically different than the neck radius on my 1980 LP Custom? Need your help 'cause I'm a lefty and although I can and will go pick one up at Guitar Center, I can't really play it. thanks.

I'll tell you what I know, and will be corrected by others...My Les Paul Custom had the 50s fat neck, and I loved it...The Traditional pro has the 60s slim profile neck, and the Traditional Plus has the 50s fat neck...The actual difference in thickness is very very small, but players really do have their preferences. I do not know if your Custom has the 50s fat neck or not. You can call up Gibson or go to their web site to find out...I'll bet it's the fatter neck. The fatter neck gives better tone, but that is my opinion...Both the pro and the plus have the '57 pickups. I've got one in Desertburst and it is beautiful and sounds great. So, it's a matter of preferance. The pickups will be different from your Custom, ( I prefer the 57s ) but you can always switch pickups out. Even though Gibson uses the terms Fat and Slim, and the feel is different, the amount of wood difference is very small. Hope this helps.....Others will now join in, add their opinions and correct me.....Do not pay to much for your guitar...PM me if you wish ( or e-mail )...

Sorry I wasn't clear, Addict. I can go physically pick up a LP trad at guitar center, but the left handed model I can buy would be a mail order thing and I can't play it ahead of time. So far from the kind responses, I see that mine is a "plus" model with the two 57 pups and the 50's neck. Glad to hear Big Bill say the neck feels right although he has small hands. My hands I would say are "average" sized. I guess I'm picturing this big fat baseball bat neck and me having trouble fingering notes on it but I'm sure I'd get used to it. Right?

^ even with a mail order, you can still return it if you don't like the neck. What do you have to loose?

Bloody Canadians...

I said it comes with one BB. I never said it's specifically a BB 1. The joke's on you. HA!! [biggrin]

doh, misread...oops sorry Tim...

^ even with a mail order, you can still return it if you don't like the neck. What do you have to loose?

Bloody Canadians...

I said it comes with one BB. I never said it's specifically a BB 1. The joke's on you. HA!! [biggrin]

Actually R9, Gibson LPs sold in Canada come with BB EHs, BB Bs, and BB Cs, they are the same as BB 1s 2s and 3s, just labled differently.....FINALLY I knew something about Gibson LPs that R9 didn't know !!!!!! [flapper][confused][rolleyes][scared]eusa_clap.gif[lol]

( R9, I found an R9 used for $4000.00, is this the magic # I've been looking for ? )

Damian, your reply kind of comforted me. thanks. I liked 2 things you said. 1) the difference in the actual amount of wood is very small and 2)my 1980 Les Paul Custom actually probably has a "fat" neck which was unknown to me all along.

Following up on that, I sent an email to Gibson Cust Serv. and got an answer that although no actual records are available on the neck profiles of 70s and 80s Les Pauls, my LP Custom more than likely has the "rounded 50s profile" neck. If that's the case, then I'm happy the new LP has the same. thanks again.

Damian, your reply kind of comforted me. thanks. I liked 2 things you said. 1) the difference in the actual amount of wood is very small and 2)my 1980 Les Paul Custom actually probably has a "fat" neck which was unknown to me all along.

Following up on that, I sent an email to Gibson Cust Serv. and got an answer that although no actual records are available on the neck profiles of 70s and 80s Les Pauls, my LP Custom more than likely has the "rounded 50s profile" neck. If that's the case, then I'm happy the new LP has the same. thanks again.

You are very welcome. I am not the most knowedgable one here on Les Pauls but I am learning as always. If you wish, there is a thread titled Gibson Les Paul Models by Rizal from a short while back; if you can figure out how to find the thread it is interesting; And post # 16 by Pippy explains the actual differences in the necks, including mathamatical numbers. The Plus tops can be quite stunning, although not as stunning as Gibson's reissues and other Custom shop LPs...Mine is the Desertburst which is as dark of a burst that I'll tolerate. I also like their Ice Tea bursts, but the choice is yours. If you wish, you can E-mail me or PM me for 'pricing' tips; I can't discuss them on the forum, and I respect their rules. There is also a Les Paul forum which you may find interesting; I'll be visiting there more; it's more facts and more formal than the lounge...Just a thought....Sure makes me happy that I could help, regards, Damian...

Archived