Gibson Brands Forums

Gig For The Paying Public Tonight

albertjohn

Tonight my playing partner Ashley and I will be joining Robbie Gladwell and guests at his annual fundraising gigs for Cancer Research. We're at The Quay Theatre in Sudbury, Suffolk. It's a lovely little theatre which seats around 150 or so. There on Friday too.

Proper stage, lighting and sound crew. All rather different to the pub duets I'm used to.

Set list:

Homeward Bound - Duet with Robbie (SWD)

Time Of The Season - with Robbie and Ashley (SWD)

Through The Barricades - with Robbie and Ashley (Tak 12er)

Fall At Your Feet - with Robbie and Ashley (SWD)

Baker St - with his band (Strat)

Losing My Religion - with his band (Tak 12er)

Hotel California - with his band. Sharing lead guitar duties [scared] (Strat)

I've done this gig 3 times before with him and I'm always really nervous on a proper stage - can't see the crowd for the lights, everyone silent before and during the tunes and they've paid to see us! Robbie often changes things around so getting good at thinking on my feet too.

All in a good cause though and we're all wearing pink shirts. (It takes a real man to wear pink!)

Sounds exactly like the situation we were in on Saturday night !

Remember main principl, go out there and have fun .... imagine youre just rehersing and roll with it !

All the very best, Im sure you guys will be great, must be great to have a 2nd guitar player next to you.

My guitar teacher promised to play lead next time we gig in a large venue like last saturday, should be really cool.

Enjoy tonight mate !

cheers.

Robbie Gladwell!

A big name in the world of guitar. Congratulations and good luck

Matt

I've known Robbie for over 10 years now and I'd consider him a great friend. He got me back into guitars and in particular Gibson's. He's a real master of his trade and it's a privilege to be playing alongside him.

Thanks for the advice Euroaussie. See above. Having Robbie on stage makes life 100 times easier.

Will be on the soft drinks tonight mate!

Benefits are great not only because it will be helping someone somewhere out but because you often do get to join up with an ad hoc band and play with folks you do not normally hang with. Last one I played I even got a chance to wring the lap steel out on "Mercury Blues" and my old Gibson A mandolin on "Amazing Grace" done Blind Boys style to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun."

Thanks for all the good wishes folks. Had a really great time last night depite making lots of mistakes. I played a few of the songs for the first time with a "proper" band - a great bass player and drummer. Brilliant.

Playing my strat through a Hughes and Kettner combo at a "proper" volume was a real treat.

Ashley and I have another crack at it tomorrow night and I'll try to remove some of the mistakes.

Great to hear AJ, must have been a real buzz play with seasoned pros ... i can understand why you were shittin' yourself a bit, i would be also .. [unsure]

Absolutely. Always carry a spare roll in the gig bag. You can never trust the facilities at some establishments. [scared]

Archived