Gibson Brands Forums

Standard vs Traditional

Hthomas

I played both side by side. Both are soo much different. My own preference was the traditional, the standard was light and IMO felt like a toy. I didn't like the neck on the standard either. I liked the pickup in the trad alot better too, bustbuckers are nice but the 57's shine through to my ears. The traditional is the best bang for the buck IMO.

Keep in mind this is just me, some love the new standards and whatever works for them is ok in my books.

I'd say head down and try them for yourself. Oh and if at all, try an R9 out, more money but if you can find a used one, might just be right for you.. Also I'd say look at the CR8 (chambered 58) and possibly a figured top R8 out...

hope that helps :)

I played both side by side. Both are soo much different. My own preference was the traditional, the standard was light and IMO felt like a toy. I didn't like the neck on the standard either. I liked the pickup in the trad alot better too, bustbuckers are nice but the 57's shine through to my ears. The traditional is the best bang for the buck IMO.

Keep in mind this is just me, some love the new standards and whatever works for them is ok in my books.

I'd say head down and try them for yourself. Oh and if at all, try an R9 out, more money but if you can find a used one, might just be right for you.. Also I'd say look at the CR8 (chambered 58) and possibly a figured top R8 out...

thanks dude. I have a R8 already. I no all about the amazingness of that haha! I just am wanting to get another LP, one in black so I was thinking of getting a Trad.

I looked at both too, when I was looking to buy. Here's what I compared:

- The trad has a 50's neck. The Std has an asymetrical neck.

- The trad is weight relived. The std is chambered.

- The trad has vintage tulip tuners. The std. has locking tuners

- The trad has a regular input jack. The std. has a neutric jack.

- The trad has a short neck tenon. The std. has a long neck tenon

There are probably more differences, but these are what I looked at when I decided

on the trad. The features and benefits of each can be debated. It's all a personal

choice and what each is worth to you. The std. had more features than what I wanted.

However, the 50's neck was probably the deciding factor. It just felt better.

Don't listen to this guy [flapper]

For me, the biggest difference was the neck. Trad=fat, Std=thin. It all comes down to your personal preferences.

Has anyone played a standard and a traditional side by side to see the differences? I'm gonna be getting another LP soon. I already have a R8. I was wanting to get a Trad, but are the really that different? one better than the other?

Hi Hthomas.

Well, you're touching a hot topic here ! Owning a standard myself, I can tell you that I really love this guitar, especially the neck profile and the pickups. To me, the only turn off about the traditional could be the fatter neck. In fact, I think that the trad is a better bang for the buck if you like the '50 neck... up to you. And by the way, the light burst finish is a beauty.

Have fun shopping, I do it all the time ! [biggrin]

Nicolas

Standard for me! Its all down to personal preference and what feels and sounds best to you.

My advise is to try at least two of each before you buy and then keep trying others until you find one that you can`t put down.

I am however surprised, that someone with a R8 would be asking this question! I could understand how someone could try one and have a compelling desire to buy, but I think this is not the case, as you are asking for opinions on 2 versions.

The Transnational would be the closest match to the R8 (neck profile & pickups) and the Standard (I am amusing you are talking about the 08 Standard) would give you something a little different.

All the best

I have a Standard you likely couldn't pry from my cold dead fingers.

If money were no object, I'd buy a Traditional tomorrow.

I can't agree more with your needing to go play them and see. I'd also recommend you play as many different guitars of each that you can. I shopped for 18 months to find my Les Paul and I'm here to tell you there is a LOT of dead wood out there.

Archived