Gibson Brands Forums

epi les paul classic qm top vs prs se santana

maelstrom

prs se santana vs epi lp classic.

both are in the same shape. epi is 05 chinese prs is 01 korean.

$200 for prs $250 for epi. what would you buy.

im pretty new to all of this so i cant really say what feels best yet. only been playing about 6 months. i wanted to know which is the better value.

thanks.

prs se santana vs epi lp classic.

both are in the same shape. epi is 05 chinese prs is 01 korean.

$200 for prs $250 for epi. what would you buy.

im pretty new to all of this so i cant really say what feels best yet. only been playing about 6 months. i wanted to know which is the better value.

thanks.

Can't offer you much advise on the PRS. but I bought a '99 epi paul and freakin' LOVE IT!! I probably played about 3 or 4 les pauls new, and an epi dot. Played half a song with it and knew this was the one. Asked the dude that was hwlping me why it played so much better. he said that the guitar had been played, broken in. And ive been playing for about as long as you have( a year). Ive seen a couple of epi classics and they look pretty cool. The quilt top is awesome.

Mabey I could help you this way, what kind of music do you like/play? Whats your current guitar? acoustic?

Paul Reed Smith has two basic goals regarding his guitars:

1. You should be able to take one of his guitars out of the cardboard box and go immediately to a gig ... no setups, no adjustments needed. I'd say that from the guitars I've handled at work, he acheives about a very admirable 95% in this regard.

2. He wants to appeal to ALL players ... namely both the Gibson and the Fender camps.

Here's where I have a problem with PRS guitars. When you hear a Les Paul playing, you pretty much KNOW it's a Gibson. Same with the sound of a Telecaster or a Strat. PRS guitars are very beautiful to look at and a pleasure to play ... but to me, they are completely devoid of personality!

Santana really makes that thing sing ... but he utilizes a great deal of EFX to get that same "Santana Sound" that he got with all of the other guitars he's used in the past. By themselves, that guitar just doesn't sound like that. It is just "blah" enough, however, that you'll pretty much be able to turn it into whatever you want with the right combination of pedals of software modeling ... if that's what you're after.

Neither choice is a bad one ... but being the Les Paul nut that I am, I'd go with the Epi. Play 'em both and see what you think. Good luck!

Jim

I have a PRS SE soapbar because I was hunting for something with P90s:

prs%20se%20soap.jpg

I also have an epi les paul custom and a dot. As Jim said, the setup out of the box on the PRS was bang on and it's certainly the most playable guitar of the three. If it had humbuckers, I don't know that I would be so fond of it, but the p90s definitely give it a distinct sound. part of the draw for me with guitars is their appearance...when I see my dot or les paul, I want to pick it up and play it. This is a good thing. So it's a hard decision...you could make life easier for yourself and buy both ;-).

I am about to make some sweeping generalizations here, :blink: But it's just to keep things simple.

Lp is basically a heavy good sustaining tone machine, fender is basically a bright twangy bell ringer. and PRS is kind of a hybrid along with brands such as Patric Eggle, and Gordon smith to name a couple. I have played and owned gibson, epiphone, Eggle, PRS, and fender amongst others. And i can say that while some of the hybrid guitars look and play beautifully, i had more fun and enjoyment from playing Gibson and Epiphone than i have on any other brands. [biggrin]

personally i would take the Epi Lp [thumbup]

Howdy,

From a completely different viewpoint. Epiphone is made in Communist China to whom we already get almost everything. It is a sovereign power that just overtook Japan to become the world's second largest economy. We as the 1st owe them hundreds of billions of dollars. Korea and the US are Allies and that at least helps their economy. So solely from that point of view I suggest the PRS SE, also look at the quality difference.

glennc

If you don't know what feels best......how should we know [rolleyes]

He wants to buy used.......

so this doesn't count [rolleyes]

Good Point, well taken. But I again say to check the quality of construction and finish difference. Good luck in any case.

glennc

Archived