Gibson Brands Forums

Is it time for an addition?

Artie Owl

Well, I'll tell you. Straight out.

I'm sick of seeing threads asking "is this a real Gibson?!!?!!11"

I might be alone in this but it feels like it's becoming more common in the lounge than usual. I know there are a lot of supremely knowledgable chaps and chapettes here who can help, but maybe have a forum section for identifying guitars with stickies for guitar daters and serial number searches?

I don't want to turn away new members, but correct me if I'm wrong, don't a large number of the "members" who join to find info on their Gibson just bugger off afterwards anyway?

It's just a thought, I honestly have no idea how hard or easy it is to add a seperate section for all that.

And if we can't do that maybe have a seperate section for "how i get tone liek Slash?!?!11:!" perhaps? [razz]

That has been discussed before.

The thing that makes it possibly a bad idea is that lotsa counterfeit info in one spot would be handy for counterfeiters.

I dunno.

Still, an area for IDing guitars and detailing model changes over the years seems like a very good idea.

Gibson - of ALL people - should encourage accurate information being posted and retained for historical reference.

That has been discussed before.

The thing that makes it possibly a bad idea is that lotsa counterfeit info in one spot would be handy for counterfeiters.

I dunno.

Still, an area for IDing guitars and detailing model changes over the years seems like a very good idea.

Gibson - of ALL people - should encourage accurate information being posted and retained for historical reference.

We did that, they just posted "Is this fake?" in that topic! [lol]

Also lets not forget the fact there are around 29 sections on the forum.

Id say around 6 of them are active?

Also we have around 10 or so sub sections.

What would make this section for fake guitars more active?

Also i have more argument agaisnt this, but im sure you dont want to here them.

But apart of discussion is to tell other peoples ideas that its stupid.

You cant deny that one, me and you are both guilty of that.

We just be discussing how stupid that persons idea would be.

Did i just find a loop hole?

It does hurt to ask if Dem00n is on the case apparently. But he does have well over 7 times more qualitiy posts than humble little me so he must be right, wasn't that a poll topic recently? [biggrin]

Anyway I'll condense my thoughts into a more poignant email and send it off to Customer service later, right now it's almost home time from the office.

Thanks Duane!

It's a noble thought, but what will happen is they will post it in the Lounge anyway, as that is the area that gets most of the traffic. We already see that to some extent.

[thumbup]

I always thought most n00bs stayed away from the Lounge.... It can be a little intimidating [biggrin]

I know prior to becoming a Mod on the Gibby side of things, I stayed clear of the Lounge.... All my postings were on the Gibby LP or SG forums.

It does hurt to ask if Dem00n is on the case apparently. But he does have well over 7 times more quality posts than humble little me so he must be right, wasn't that a poll topic recently? [biggrin]

Anyway I'll condense my thoughts into a more poignant email and send it off to Customer service later, right now it's almost home time from the office.

Thanks Duane!

I didn't mention about how i am god because i have more posts then you did i? [flapper]

I like to discuss things you know.

im 99% ****** and 1% smartass! [lol]

I didn't mention about how i am god because i have more posts then you did i? [flapper]

I like to discuss things you know.

im 99% ****** and 1% smartass! [lol]

It was implied [razz]

I know where you're coming from dem00n honestly I do, but I was just thinking maybe there could be a section out of the lounge that would keep people who don't know about older Gibson's (like me I don't really know that much about the older ones except what I learned here) from commenting on lygit guitars and questions. People who want to help can cruise the subsection instead. Just a thought anyway.

(like me I don't really know that much about the older ones except what I learned here)

Don't feel bad..... neither does Gibson.... Trying to get info on Gibsons that were built during the Norlin era, especially those that were built at the Kalamazoo Plant is like venturing into a black hole. [biggrin]

It was implied [razz]

I know where you're coming from dem00n honestly I do, but I was just thinking maybe there could be a section out of the lounge that would keep people who don't know about older Gibson's (like me I don't really know that much about the older ones except what I learned here) from commenting on legit guitars and questions. People who want to help can cruise the subsection instead. Just a thought anyway.

I know where your coming from to, and i know i come off a like a d!ck a lot but i just dont see a point in a other sector.

I think Gibson should put an Ad asking for all future owners to call or email them pictures if they think their guitar is fake.

We guitar playing video game nerds gotta stick together yo!

I think such a section wouldn't work. Most of "us" would hardly ever go there. People would still pop into the lounge to ask.

I think such posts should be moved to the pertinent section tho. Like "is this les paul real?" well, ask in the les paul section, maybe the guys in the lounge are here just to clown around and know nothing about guitars and will probably give you the wrong info on it. [flapper]

Most of those questions are about lesters, I don't know why they get posted here instead of the LP section where they belong.

[rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Then there's the "people come here, ask just one question and then never show up again" thing... sounds like one of those chicks from 20 years ago (and back) who would get pissed after a one night stand when you didn't call 'em again. :rolleyes: If they only come here for info on their new guitar and want to spend the rest of their time in other stuff, fine. Be glad we are here to help them with that. They could be asking in "hong kong are us guitars" and getting the wrong info.

We have a rep for being the folks who know our schtuff. People from other forums send folks here for info on all kinds of gear.

We should take that as a compliment, and be responsible with our well deserved reputation.

ok... Y'ALL's well deserved rep.

It's a noble thought, but what will happen is they will post it in the Lounge anyway, as that is the area that gets most of the traffic. We already see that to some extent.

[thumbup]

well then the mods can move them where they belong, right duane [biggrin]

Archived