Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid question thread

Silenced Fred

Besides 12 string guitars, whatz the deal with extra guitar strings - 7 string, 10 string, etc ?

<edit - oops - already up>

Why is the cross faded paint job on a guitar called a "burst" ?

Why would someone by a "photo-top" guitar ?

/whew

1. 7 strings add an extra bass string; 10 strings double all but the top 2 strings.

2. Marketing

3. Because there really IS no accounting for taste. And there was a contest to design your own guitar by a non-Gibson manufacturer where they encouraged you to upload your own pic. If it was selected, you won the guitar. Also, see #2 above... Marketing.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is nitro suposed to be better than poly?

Lacquer was popular on cars years ago as well.

Since it never really "dried" and hardened the way we think of enamels, it was able to be manipulated.

Polishing could reveal a shine as good as new by removing the micro-thin weathered topcoat.

When enamel ages and discolors, you're stuck with it.

First car I ever bought with lacquer scared me to death when I first waxed it - the paint was coming off on my cloth!!!!

[scared]

My old man told me to keep going - it would like fine when I was done.

He was right. Shined like it was brand new paint - brilliant and rich beyond belief.

It can also be touched up and blended easily to cover mistakes or damage - largely a lost art.

Years ago, Gibson had no problem with respraying a guitar - now it's almost a crime.

Polyurethane and other enamels don't HAVE to be sprayed so heavily, but they often are.

And clearcoats are a relatively recent development in the guitar and automotive world...

Lacquer was popular on cars years ago as well.

Since it never really "dried" and hardened the way we think of enamels, it was able to be manipulated.

Polishing could reveal a shine as good as new by removing the micro-thin weathered topcoat.

When enamel ages and discolors, you're stuck with it.

First car I ever bought with lacquer scared me to death when I first waxed it - the paint was coming off on my cloth!!!!

[scared]

My old man told me to keep going - it would like fine when I was done.

He was right. Shined like it was brand new paint - brilliant and rich beyond belief.

It can also be touched up and blended easily to cover mistakes or damage - largely a lost art.

Years ago, Gibson had no problem with respraying a guitar - now it's almost a crime.

Polyurethane and other enamels don't HAVE to be sprayed so heavily, but they often are.

And clearcoats are a relatively recent development in the guitar and automotive world...

Interesting.

I haven't waxed a car in 20 years.

Bet yours looks good, eh?

[flapper]

The only cars you'll see lacquer on now are in museums and car shows.

As good as a $5.00 drive through can be.

Ah, the wonders of modern chemistry.

Modern paint is great. Not unlike that indestructible poly finish that gets put on guitars these days.

(Spoken like someone who doesn't own or want an old car.)

RE: 7-string guitars...

I'd never seen or heard of adding another bass string when I was into 7 and 9-string guitars. It always was done in courses like on a 12. The 7 doubled the G an octave up and gave a nice ringy sound like a 12. There were several variations of the 9s I'd seen.

m

Why isn't there a pick with a mini-beeper built in - so I can find the damn thing when I misplace it ?

Because Gibson invested all their time and research dollars into the Firebird X.

Also, it is a form of designed obsolescence.

baked beans,...beans beans are good for your heart the more you eat the more you fart the more you fart the more you eat the more you sit on the toilet seat...is this true? :-k

Not unless the beans have been improperly prepared. This could be made into a true statement, if it finished with "... the more you fart, the better you feel, so why not eat beans at every meal?"

But then, that is kind of answering a question with a question....

Naaaah.

If I want lower sounds I'll change tunings. That, as well as the extra pressure, is why a lotta old-time 12-string pickers and even some new ones will drop at least a full pitch on their guitars. I did it on the 12 a while; used to do a number of dropped tunings in my super-folkie days - so many I've forgotten how they were done. I wish I were kidding, but I ain't.

Seriously, that's one reason why, I guess, I really do like the robot idea. I remember only too well having to carry a joke list to any gig where I was s'posed to do more than three or four songs because I needed something to help take up the time while I was retuning... <grin>

m

Naaaah.

If I want lower sounds I'll change tunings. That, as well as the extra pressure, is why a lotta old-time 12-string pickers and even some new ones will drop at least a full pitch on their guitars. I did it on the 12 a while; used to do a number of dropped tunings in my super-folkie days - so many I've forgotten how they were done. I wish I were kidding, but I ain't.

Seriously, that's one reason why, I guess, I really do like the robot idea. I remember only too well having to carry a joke list to any gig where I was s'posed to do more than three or four songs because I needed something to help take up the time while I was retuning... <grin>

m

My plusses are back, and one for you!

I tried out that Schecter I lnked. It wasn't for me either. I didn't want a robot until I saw that gorgeous Midnight Manhattan that Vienna1981 posted in the Intro section.

That is a gorgeous axe!

I wanted to like the Schecter Stargazer bass - but when I saw one up close I was horrified with the bad craftsmanship - the string-thru was eating through the wood in the body, and it was covered in sawdust. But it looked fine in the ad.

They don't offer it for sale anymore.

I suppose some things get a bad rap for a reason.

I wanted to like the Schecter Stargazer bass - but when I saw one up close I was horrified with the bad craftsmanship - the string-thru was eating through the wood in the body, and it was covered in sawdust. But it looked fine in the ad.

They don't offer it for sale anymore.

I suppose some things get a bad rap for a reason.

Dang it if I didn't hit the wrong thread.

I hate it when that happens.

No judgement, right?

Archived