Gibson Brands Forums

Wah wah wah wah wah

Californiaman

There are some pretty simple mods you can do to vastly improve its sound. I like my moddded CryBaby much better than my stock VOX 847.

Really?

I will check them out.

Does this apply to the CryBaby Original? I think that would be the one for $69

I guess I'm just an oddity. I have always liked Morley better.

I'm not saying the Cry Baby sounds bad, I like the treadle better on the Morley.

It's more of a mechanics thing for me.

Plus, a vintage Morley with all that polished chrome - Hell Yeah! [thumbup]

Really?

I will check them out.

Does this apply to the CryBaby Original? I think that would be the one for $69

Yep - and Vox too. Start here. You'll need to click

DIY resources then Wah Circuit Mods - check out the True Bypass Mod link as well if you want to change

the buffered input to true bypass.

There are some pretty simple mods you can do to vastly improve its sound. I like my moddded CryBaby much better than my stock VOX 847.

I was going to start a new thread, but I saw this. What mods can be made and how are they done?

My sons newer CryBaby is not up to his par. When we run it through the Effects Loop on his Peavey Valve King 212, the wah cuts into the distortion, almost making it clean, however if we run it the other way, (guitar to effects to amp), the wah sounds good with and without distortion.

Any suggestions???

Does running the effects through the amp's Effects Loop put them before or after the distortion signal? I've heard it done both ways, wah before distortion or wah after distortion. Just wondering which way it is with both scenarios.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd like to check that doc. out. It looks cool. An Original Crybaby was my first pedal. My parents got it for me when I first started playing. I love that thing. I don't play it much now though. Over the years, I wore out 3 pots in it. I just replaced the pot recently, and it just doesn't sound like it used to. It seems like they changed them up or something. I can't explain it, but the range (going from more treble to more bass) seems kind of harsh or less smooth than I remember.

While I can't speak to your question about modifications to a wah pedal, I will say check out surfpups link to the DIY modifications sight.

I will say this about the wah:

I have the Thomas Organ Co. "Sepulveda" Cry Baby Wah pedal. It's original and I love it. Especially used with my fuzz pedals.

I run it straight into the amp. No effects loop. Everything is front end. I don't have an effects loop.

I was going to start a new thread, but I saw this. What mods can be made and how are they done?

Yeah, the site I posted before has the mods I did. I'm sure there are countless others out there on the interwebz. [biggrin]

As for position, I probably wouldn't use the wah through the efx loop, but I use old fashioned amps that don't have them anyway. The wah is always first in my signal.

As for position, I probably wouldn't use the wah through the efx loop...

+1 [thumbup]

The wah is always first in my signal.

+1 [thumbup]

LPguitarman

There are a lot of good articles on the web regarding which effects are good to use in an FX Loop and which should be to the front end of the amp.

Also, it depends on the type of FX Loop you have (Parallel or Series) which will determine what type of FX will sound good in the loop (or work at all).

Archived