Gibson Brands Forums

Whoa

neilpanda

That was very nice.

But it does kinda point to the first vid of the guy "covering" EVH.

At what point does that sort of thing become the measure of the individual player's skill, rather than a simple "copy" of the original?

And when does that become "good enough"?

Nobody refers to the local Symphony as a "Beethoven Cover Band".

Does it matter?

. . . At what point does that sort of thing become the measure of the individual player's skill, rather than a simple "copy" of the original? . . .

Come on. It's a performance. It's always about skill. But it's also be about talent and meaningful intrepretation.

A musician plays a piece of music, with accuracy and fluidity - that's a skillful musician.

A musician plays a piece of music, with accuracy and fluidity; imbuing it emotion and feeling - that's a talented musician.

A musician plays a piece of music, with accuracy and fluidity; interpretting as he goes, making meaningful changes, creating previously unheard sounds, emotion and feeling - that's a great musician.

And hell yes it matters. Case in point -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj7pDNDuoJ0

I like to listen to the Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

I prefer the Virgil Fox version, but I don't deny the skill of E. Power Biggs.

But neither one of them is J.S. Bach, and they are not perceived as having his gift.

If I was going to listen to a recording of Eruption, I'd listen to the one by EVH.

If I were going to go see a live performance, I might enjoy watching the guy in the first vid...

Hmmm, this is my opinion and just my view; but here it goes...

There is a lot to think about. For instance, In rock music, performer and composer are usually one and the same. In the 'composers' lifetime, you become accustomed to the music and there are some pieces that are even regarded as rock 'classics' that people don't like to see tampered with (or as others would see it - interpreted). I have always struggled with that; as so much of rock, to me personally, should be about individuality and following your own sound...I don't know, maybe that is my short fall? Even some of my favourite guitarists that wrote their solos, like Randy Rhoads and Brian May, improvised around the solos when playing live.

In Classical music, more often than not (thankfully) we don't know (and often don't want to know) the definitive way the composer wished the piece to be played. After all that is what makes being a classical performer so exciting - interpreting the piece and making it your own! Then there are living composers like Leo Brouwer who encourage performers to add their stamp to the piecemsp_thumbup.gif So we don't actually change the notes like a rock guitarist to add our stamp but instead vary the dynamics, phrasing etc etc...

So as someone who plays classical and rock/blues, I have always found much more 'to do' as a performer when interpreting the notes on the page of a piece of classical music than when playing a rock piece. (I of course mean classical to cover 16th century through to today) For me what makes the interpretation more satisfying with a classical piece is partly to do with the medium; as a classical guitar piece is written contrapuntally and you are basically controlling an orchestra with all the different lines coming out of one instrument, where as with In rock/blues/pop etc etc you are just playing single line melodies.

Aside from the medium having more going in it to do things with, there is greater scope to be expressive through the use of dynamics on a classical instrument. The expression on an electric guitar comes more through articulation and improvisation than how expressive you are with right hand tonal changes, dynamics, fingering etc etc.

The above is all general and probably could be a great thesis subject, a comparison of the roles of a classical musician and rock guitarist.

Matt

Archived