Gibson Brands Forums

Dimebag

46 and 2

Dime was the nicest and coolest "Rock Star" I have ever met and worked with. He never forgot what it felt like to be a fan. I will always miss him and it bums me out knowing I will never get another chance to hang out with him again. He was an extremely funny, humble and generous Individual. RIP Brother Dime! BlaaaaaackTooooooooth!!!!!!!!!! These pics are from the day at the NAMM show when I gave him his first Dean replica of the DFH Guitar known as the Demon Dime if you look on the truss Rod Cover. He was very stoked about this guitar. He went to Washburn after I left Dean.

By the way we about got our booth shutdown by the NAMM show police that day. Dime had Randall bring over a half stack an just started tearing it up with the half stack on 10. We were getting a huge crowd around the booth and people were just calling out songs and he would start ripping into them. The NAMM show official ripped me a new A$ because we didn't have a "permit" to do that and threatened to boot us out if we didn't shut it down. Dime was cool though an he hung out for a couple of hours taking pictures, signing autographs and handing out pics. He wouldn't leave until everyone was happy. (and i was drinking) When you were around Dime you were drinking.

Also in one of the Pictures you can see the back of Grady Champions head. He was Dime's guitar tech forever and there are some good interviews with him in some of the Guitar mags.

Andy

Dime1.jpg

Dime3.jpg

Dime4.jpg

Dime2.jpg

deananddimele.jpg

3IMG_0024.jpg

2IMG_0044.jpg

Rectora, those are some sweet pics!

Man, six years already. I remember hearing about it on the news. Thought it was crazy back then, but I'm not sure that, even then at the age of twelve, I really understood how important he was as a musician. I mean, I loved Pantera, but didn't completely recognize what he really meant at the time. When it comes down to Dime, there's not a lot of new stuff that can really be said, so I'll say the old stuff that still holds true. In ways he was a bit of a contradictory personality: a very nice, humble soul, who was at the same time sincerely invested in producing aggressive, in some ways threatening music. From what I can tell (and I didn't know him personally,) he worked hard and cared a lot about his performances, didn't have a big head at all, really recognized what his performances meant to people because, as has been said, he never forgot what it meant to be a fan. Played some killer riffs, some killer solos, and really struck a perfect balance between being a great rhythm guitarist and a great lead guitarist. It's easy to see why he was so legendary in metal fan circles, even prior to his untimely death.

Rectora, those are some sweet pics!

Man, six years already. I remember hearing about it on the news. Thought it was crazy back then, but I'm not sure that, even then at the age of twelve, I really understood how important he was as a musician. I mean, I loved Pantera, but didn't completely recognize what he really meant at the time. When it comes down to Dime, there's not a lot of new stuff that can really be said, so I'll say the old stuff that still holds true. In ways he was a bit of a contradictory personality: a very nice, humble soul, who was at the same time sincerely invested in producing aggressive, in some ways threatening music. From what I can tell (and I didn't know him personally,) he worked hard and cared a lot about his performances, didn't have a big head at all, really recognized what his performances meant to people because, as has been said, he never forgot what it meant to be a fan. Played some killer riffs, some killer solos, and really struck a perfect balance between being a great rhythm guitarist and a great lead guitarist. It's easy to see why he was so legendary in metal fan circles, even prior to his untimely death.

Thanks man and you nailed it. I am extremely bummed as I had a disposable camera that I had taken a ton of pics of his original DFH when it was on my work bench in various states of disassembly. I never had them developed and I eventually lost that camera. Those pictures would have been awesome to have because I have never seen any of the DFH disassembled. I had them...

Andy

And if you haven't guessed I'm the goofy looking blonde hair guy. I was probably about 24 in those pics. Now I'm a fat old man with short hair and a corporate gig.... Times they do change. If I get a chance I will post some stories about how I ended up getting connected with Dime an some stories about the times we hung out if anyone is interested. Gotta get back to work now though.

Regards,

Andy

Archived