Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you play Bass with three fingers or four?

dem00n

Hey ChanMan; don't know how long you've been doing bass or what you're using, but if you're getting a lot of buzz with finger playing you may be set a bit low. It's not always as clean as playing with the pick, but you shouldn't be buzzn' like a bee with fingers.

Thanks man!!

I've only been playing for a year or two, and work bass practice in along with mandolin and dulcimer, around guitar practice. I had it set up, and the action is low, but not horribly so. I've got and LTD F-104, btw.

My buzzing comes from the fret hand. I think I'm not placing my fingers close enough to the fret wires, because if I slow down and really focus, I don't buzz nearly as much.

I appreciate any tips I can get!

[thumbup]

I like my action as low as absolutely possible. I've noticed that (for me) if you strike the string to hard, the string will smack the upper reg frets from the attack. Thats just part of having low action on a bass. This can be avoided with technique. It takes a lot of practice and patience though...and a alot of thought about how you are striking the strings. Another thing to help in that situation is to turn up the amp and play softer. Much softer. The harder you strike the strings, the wider they vibrate and have more of a chance of rattling on the upper reg frets.

This is one of those things that I have been working on in a major way since getting my new bass. We have some songs with big dynamic changes, and I have to be careful going into the softer parts so I dont rattle. Sometimes I will use the side of my finger to get a softer touch. The harder, calloused pard of my fingertips are more susceptible of producing harsher tones and string rattle partly due to lack of sensitivity in my fingertips. This is another good reason for not anchoring to the pickup when playing (from another thread). That type of anchoring reduces your dynamic range and tends to make you pluck harder due to the position of your hand...also which makes your hand fatigue quicker than it should, causing even less dynamic range after a period of time just because your hand tires quicker. People with bigger hands may not notice as much because they have more range just from a size standpoint.

Excellent advice!!

Thanks dude!!!

Excellent advice!!

Thanks dude!!!

[thumbup]

Thanks man!!

I've only been playing for a year or two, and work bass practice in along with mandolin and dulcimer, around guitar practice. I had it set up, and the action is low, but not horribly so. I've got and LTD F-104, btw.

My buzzing comes from the fret hand. I think I'm not placing my fingers close enough to the fret wires, because if I slow down and really focus, I don't buzz nearly as much.

I appreciate any tips I can get!

[thumbup]

From the fretting hand? Hmmm. That sounds strange to me. I can fret anywhere between frets and get zero buzzing unless I'm up against the previous fret. You shouldnt get any buzzing from finger placement either. It honestly sounds like you arent applying even pressure or enough pressure. It takes quite a bit more pressure to properly fret a bass than a guitar. On the other side of the coin, I can be fairly heavy handed when fretting a guitar. You can play bass with a light hand as long as your fretting pressure is consistent and the action is low enough. I still buzz out sometimes when I do runs or string skips (or if I'm not paying attention...wandering mind and all that) . It always boils down to a matter of accuracy and pressure for me. Or if I second guess myself about where I'm going, I might buzz out because I misfretted in haste.

[thumbup]

From the fretting hand? Hmmm. That sounds strange to me. I can fret anywhere between frets and get zero buzzing unless I'm up against the previous fret. You shouldnt get any buzzing from finger placement either. It honestly sounds like you arent applying even pressure or enough pressure. It takes quite a bit more pressure to properly fret a bass than a guitar. On the other side of the coin, I can be fairly heavy handed when fretting a guitar. You can play bass with a light hand as long as your fretting pressure is consistent and the action is low enough. I still buzz out sometimes when I do runs or string skips (or if I'm not paying attention...wandering mind and all that) . It always boils down to a matter of accuracy and pressure for me. Or if I second guess myself about where I'm going, I might buzz out because I misfretted in haste.

It very well may be pressure related. I noticed that I get less buzz if I fret closer to the lead wire, but it's entirely possible that I'm simply applying better pressure when I focus on where I'm placing my fingers, if that makes any sense [lol]

I just played for a bit, and am thinking you may have nailed it with the pressure issue. Play the LP, which has such a sweet low action, I've gotten out of the habit of really digging in with my fret hand.

So... other than slow chromatic scales on various areas of the fretboard.... any good excercises to build strength?

It very well may be pressure related. I noticed that I get less buzz if I fret closer to the lead wire, but it's entirely possible that I'm simply applying better pressure when I focus on where I'm placing my fingers, if that makes any sense [lol]

I just played for a bit, and am thinking you may have nailed it with the pressure issue. Play the LP, which has such a sweet low action, I've gotten out of the habit of really digging in with my fret hand.

So... other than slow chromatic scales on various areas of the fretboard.... any good excercises to build strength?

I used to use those finger strengthener things that you squeeze. That was a long time ago, but I'm sure it helped initially. Really, its just about practice practice practice. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find that there is sort of a 'sweet spot' between applying enough pressure and over gripping. Much like guitar, it eventually becomes pretty much effortless and you wont need to give it too much thought. One of the exceptions would be the low B on a five string. Its a bit of a different beast and takes a little more thought about how you apply pressure AND pluck the string. I typically have to really lay on the pressure as not to buzz the string, yet hit it super light with the plucking hand. The lower you are on the fretboard, the more pressure you need and a lighter touch with the right hand.

Try to flatten your fingers more on the fretboard. Try to angle your fingers a bit. Use the side of your fingers a bit. They don't have to be straight and square. The older upright bass players had a tendency to what I call side swipe the strings on the board.

I've played bass in a few bands over the years and I use all 4 fingers and I play with and without a pick. To me, playing the bass is just as comfortable as playing the guitar.

Speaking of playing bass, here is one of my favorite's!

Shawn

You're in NYC Dem00n; many good music schools and musicians there....I play bass, but I'm no expert....

It is amazing to meet and watch killer bass players....When ever guitar players claim that playing bass is so much easier, well.....

I'm just glad that you get to meet those caliber musicians.......

I play bass with every finger, a apart from my little finger, on the picking hand. In fact; the similarity of right hand technique with the classical guitar and bass; really helps - and of course employing classical guitar right hand thinking, you can have bass lines are contrapuntal! too, which really adds lots of spice to the line!

Matt

I'm very much a three fingers bass player. I anchor the thumb, and the index, middle, and ring do the job. I have much more control that way, and I like the tone better.

If you dont mind me asking, what do you anchor to? And does it change depending on the bass?

These days, I'm about 50/50 with the anchoring. I either freefloat the thumb or anchor to a string, depending on how hard or soft I'm playing. I typically anchor when I want to dig in or do a lot of walking.

`

........ can play with all 4 of his fingers,

he was crazy fast and accurate. ............

`

No sweat. I can play with all 4 fingers and

be crazy sloppy and laid back ! I may even

include my thumb sometimes. Lotsatimes.

As a bassslob, I find it necessary to keep

ALL my fingers productively occupied, or

else they'll just tangle with various strings

in a counterproductive manner. Zeeeesh.

A bass is a very large guitar. There's lotsa

room for all the fingers anyone cares to use.

`

Archived