Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Sawyer

vourot

Oddly enough, being one of the most played Rush song on the radio, I still love it. I tried learning it on guitar last year. I wasnt ready for it. I got the song structure down ok, but some of those chords were a tad beyond my abilities. I may try again soon. I've been thinking a lot about it lately, actually.

I've been cracking out on the live version of Xanadu lately. I wont even attempt that on on guitar or bass.

I've done both song live many times......His technique is not that hard to master as opposed to many other guitarists..IMO..

Rush is a rush to learn, and study.....and great to listen to...

I can see the brilliant simplicity in his playing, and I can make the chords. I just cant flow from chord to chord. No biggie, though. I'll get it eventually.

Kudos for playing Xanadu live. Probably one of my all time favorite Rush songs.

EDIT: I just realized that video is isolated guitar. Awesome! That may help me a lot. Good post!

I can see the brilliant simplicity in his playing, and I can make the chords. I just cant flow from chord to chord. No biggie, though. I'll get it eventually.

EDIT: I just realized that video is isolated guitar. Awesome! That may help me a lot. Good post!

I played Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, & The Trees live at a Build a Band about 2-months ago. It was a blast. We actually had a drummer that could keep up pretty well.

Brilliant simplicity sums it up well..

We played an all day benefit show over the summer. The band before us were some highschool kids and they played YYZ. The guitar player had it down. The bass and drums had a hard time keeping up, but they did a good job overall. I was impressed.

You definitely have to be a monster bass player and drummer as well to pull that off. I always heard that the beginning rhythm was actually morse code for the letters YYZ. Not sure if that's true or not. Sounded good at the time.

You definitely have to be a monster bass player and drummer as well to pull that off. I always heard that the beginning rhythm was actually morse code for the letters YYZ. Not sure if that's true or not. Sounded good at the time.

And it means, .........you know what it means........hint...wings and the wright brothers,

I watched the Rush Documentry a couple of weeks ago ( don't even have to be a fan )

Agreed.

By far the most comprehensive look at the band I've ever seen.

I knew Lee's family was from Europe but I did not realize Lifeson and Lee both were sons of Holocaust survivors.

[crying] :unsure:

I always thought that song was an homage to Rush Limbaugh.

Tom Sawyer lived on the Mississippi River.

Rush is from Cape Girardeau, Missouri - on the Mississippi River.

Coincidence?

I think not. [thumbup]

Archived