Gibson Brands Forums

"Crank-it-up" Songs

freak show

Whenever I listen to Fleetwood Mac's Live in Boston album, no matter what volume I'm at I always turn it up a bit more for the final track. It's a classic, it's simple, it's kinda funny in a way, and it is awesome.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deep Purple?

Oh. Sorry, I thought at first you meant a 1939 #1 hit with Bea Wain singing with the Larry Clinton orchestra. <grin> I actually prefer the Helen Forest version. Deep Purple wasn't originally even written with a lyric, but...

<chortle>

Always thought Wain was one of the sexiest singers of the era, but Clinton's orchestration was reeeeally from the time period.

m

First measure...

Yupper... a great piece with a great bird singer.

Actually I like the Shaw arrangement Helen Forest did better than Clinton's - but Bea Wain was something special.

BTW, I have a FLV downloader and some of Wain's stuff on the computer for play... And this one too. Note the guitar in the front row.

m

If you are city folk, this still may have some relevance taken as a metaphor.

I know "country" isn't that big a deal here, and nowadays I do more that'd be considered "jazz" or "light rock." But...

Young men... and men who think young... and women who love them can find some relevance to this one if the guy had a tendency to do a few wild things...

The deal about the bull no man can ride is that the rodeo rider told his girlfriend he would "turn out," which means he wouldn't try the ride. Just thought I'd point out the terminology. Then he rode and died.

BTW, it kinda reminds me of a young friend who broke his neck riding bulls. Took a year off, came back and won first in a decent bull riding. Dunno what'll go on now; wife's expecting. We'll see. Some rodeo friends got busted up worse in a Cessna 210 crash en route to a rodeo some years back.

Oh - and my first trip to Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo was in '53. <grin>

m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3VocYI2KE

Chris was a good guy and knew how to maximize his talents. If you don't know the piece, check out his "cowboy up" on Youtube if it's still there. In effect he comes right out and sez whether boots and hat or wingtip shoes and a suit, there are times you've gotta just cowboy up... dust yourself off and get tuit. Or as Garth put into the piece "Good Ride, Cowboy," you can "Pull you hat down tight and just Ledoux it."

I met Chris a few times when I lived in Wyoming but... he wasn't much into being out in front unless it was at a rodeo or show. I actually got to know his wife a bit better since she was the kids in school "mommy" so typical of a small community. The new bronze statue of Chris in Kaycee is something else.

He definitely was part of the tiny ranch community just downhill from the Hole in the Wall and some pretty interesting territory in the shadow of the Big Horns. But there's a tendency in this general neighborhood to look at world champion bronc riders as neighbors rather than as "celebrities" we've gotta hassle.

As for saloons and fights...

Not so much around here. Once in a while a bit of a fisticuff discussion outside a saloon. Usually it's pretty peaceful and frankly I feel safer in the local saloons and the streets outside on a busy night than in fancier "lounges" in Memphis on a slow night.

m

at about 1:52 look at Pauls bass, he has foam under the strings in front of the bridge and it is falling out;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imb4tYOk8GE

For all of the all talk and no show of Lennon, his love and appreciation of noise during the Beatles post Sergeant Pepper era warms my rotten heart. That fuzz is amazing. Anyone know what he used? I know on the recording they ran his guitar right into the tube mixing board and cranked the channel gain, but this is live, baby.

Archived