Gibson Brands Forums

Neck damage from no strings?

cjlandry

I gave my son an Epi LP Jr a few years ago, and discovered, back in July that he and his friends had removed the strings and just left it that way.

I restrung it and it had the worst fret buzz I've ever heard. I tried adjusting the tailpiece/bridge (whatever it's called on a Jr), but it did no good.

I decided not to mess with it until I get a proper luthier's straight-edge. The guitar isn't worth paying a tech, so I decided that I'm gonna check it out myself. I hope I can get it playable again. If so, I plan to put a custom paint job on it and a WD or GFS pickup, along with new pots and jack.

I gave my son an Epi LP Jr a few years ago, and discovered, back in July that he and his friends had removed the strings and just left it that way.

I restrung it and it had the worst fret buzz I've ever heard. I tried adjusting the tailpiece/bridge (whatever it's called on a Jr), but it did no good.

Leaving a guitar sitting without strings should not cause a problem. However, it does sound as though you need to tweak the truss rod. NOT the bridge. You will need a good straightedge to do it nicely. I believe Frets.com has a good tutorial on how to setup a guitar, and I'd follow that.

If it has been a few years since a set up, then yeah, a truss rod adjustment is in order. Also, depending on how it was "stored", it may may have tweaked the neck as well.

Before you start adjusting anything, look down the neck and make sure it isnt twisted. Then feel the back of the neck near the first few frets to make sure there is no scarf-joint warping. I dont know how it was stored or treated, but leaning a guitar with its back against a wall (like kids will do) for extended periods of time can cause scarf-joint warping and tweaked necks. If all of that stuff checks out, go ahead and do the adjustments.

AAAIIIEEEEE!! AIIEEEEEEE!!!!!! [scared]

Epiphone Lounge "DO-IT-YOURSELF" STICKY!!!!

Go to above, scroll down to ***GUITAR SET-UP/TRUSS ROD ADJUSTMENT: Section,

there are 6 entries that address this topic!!!

Read this one FIRST (uses 18" Straightedge), THEN head off to DIY Sticky!!!

"Adjusting Truss Rod"

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/49478-adjusting-truss-rod-what-ways-do-yall-use/page__pid__671246#entry671246

Thank You!

Once again, I ended up sort of answering my own question.

I took the guitar down from the hanger, where it's been hanging, strings on, since late July.

Started looking at the neck and could see no warp. Tuned up and started playing. It's back to normal now.

I guess all that time without strings did allow it to backbow a bit, and the string tension brought it back into shape.

Thanks for the help in the DIY tech sticky. I never think about that because it's in the lounge.

I decided not to mess with it until I get a proper luthier's straight-edge.

Stewmac has a notched one for $72 plus shipping. Hmmmmm

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Measuring/Notched_Straight_Edge.html

But.....

If you have a dremel and a couple of hard wheels....

I bought a 36" x 2" heavy duty aluminum ruler for $10.

Marked frets with a marker and cut V notches. Works great! The 3' gave me enough to make one for Gibson spacing and one for Fender spacing.

Only a couple of things to watch: If you look at Stewmac's they start with the 2nd fret. In time I found that many guitars have a slight roll off on the first fret space.

Take your time so you don't burn out the dremel.

Wear Safety goggles (not glasses)

Willy

Stewmac has a notched one for $72 plus shipping. Hmmmmm

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Measuring/Notched_Straight_Edge.html

But.....

If you have a dremel and a couple of hard wheels....

I bought a 36" x 2" heavy duty aluminum ruler for $10.

Marked frets with a marker and cut V notches. Works great! The 3' gave me enough to make one for Gibson spacing and one for Fender spacing.

Only a couple of things to watch: If you look at Stewmac's they start with the 2nd fret. In time I found that many guitars have a slight roll off on the first fret space.

Take your time so you don't burn out the dremel.

Wear Safety goggles (not glasses)

Willy

Thanks, Willy. I have one on order already. One side notched for 24.75", the other for 25.5". $27 with shipping off ebay.

Thanks, Willy. I have one on order already. One side notched for 24.75", the other for 25.5". $27 with shipping off ebay.

Great Deal!

If I could have got one at that price I would have gone for it in a minute. I made mine a couple of years ago and there weren't any on the bay.

At $73 it was out of the question for me.

Willy

Can a set of strings of higher gauge cause a good guitar to buzz?

I had to return my new Jr. because I went over budget. That money was for a guitar/pc processor and so I returned it (Her) and got the POD UX2. I hope that things work out with the Jr. I think that this UX2 will turn out to be an incredible gadget but right now I would trade it back for the Jr. You mentioned you would like to mod the guitar. I suppose I really like that LP Jr. because it had a low, quiet action and if I had an urge to upgrade the tuners or pickup I would not feel like a fool who is guilding a turd. Don't forget to smack those kids.

I'm still enjoying my new purple LP II Special Plus Top!!

Good luck with Epi. LP Junior!

Can a set of strings of higher gauge cause a good guitar to buzz?

I had to return my new Jr. because I went over budget. That money was for a guitar/pc processor and so I returned it (Her) and got the POD UX2. I hope that things work out with the Jr. I think that this UX2 will turn out to be an incredible gadget but right now I would trade it back for the Jr. You mentioned you would like to mod the guitar. I suppose I really like that LP Jr. because it had a low, quiet action and if I had an urge to upgrade the tuners or pickup I would not feel like a fool who is guilding a turd. Don't forget to smack those kids.

I'm still enjoying my new purple LP II Special Plus Top!!

Good luck with Epi. LP Junior!

Possible, I guess. I've never used anything other than the Slinky Pinky strings on this one, so that couldn't have been the issue. Darnedest thing I ever experienced on a guitar. It's good to go now. I just got through jammin' with it through my Vibro Champ XD and a 2x12 cabinet.

With the hybrid modeling amp, it sounds fine to me just as it is, provided I'm crunchin' on it. It doesn't have a pretty "clean", but I never expected such from it.

-I had the string off of my Classic for almost 8 months. When I finally got around to restringing it, everything was good to go. Btw, still loving the Mean 90 neck p'up!

L8R,

Matt

Maybe it's the bolt on neck, or maybe it's because they were more likely off for two years. I think they liked to play air Guitar Hero on it. If that was the case, I'm sure the strings got in their way.

Archived