Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul BFG

fab432

Hopefully a forum member will be able to answer these questions concerning a Les Paul BFG I was thinking of buying. Definitely an interesting guitar but it is slightly different to the ones I have seen pictures of. I am trying to determine whether it really is a legit Gibson Les Paul BFG. The serial number is 009580537. On the back of the headstock it is stamped Made In USA and then the year 2008 is stamped below the USA. Also the truss rod cover is solid black with no writing and the ones I have seen pics of have a clear goldish truss rod cover. Lastly the burstbuster humbucker in the bridge position has two black faces and the ones I have seen have a black and a white face. The guitar colour is black with the gold undertones. Any input would be appreciated.

Hopefully a forum member will be able to answer these questions concerning a Les Paul BFG I was thinking of buying. Definitely an interesting guitar but it is slightly different to the ones I have seen pictures of. I am trying to determine whether it really is a legit Gibson Les Paul BFG. The serial number is 009580537. On the back of the headstock it is stamped Made In USA and then the year 2008 is stamped below the USA. Also the truss rod cover is solid black with no writing and the ones I have seen pics of have a clear goldish truss rod cover. Lastly the burstbuster humbucker in the bridge position has two black faces and the ones I have seen have a black and a white face. The guitar colour is black with the gold undertones. Any input would be appreciated.

I'd suggest calling Gibson Customer Service (open 24/7 I think) and ask them, they can tell you if the serial number shows as that year and model, and what it should be equipped with.

New ones sold standard with no truss rod cover, as stated.

The GMoore BFG has a truss rod cover new. Bb3 crème/blk.

Take a close look at the soldering connection of the BB3,

If it looks like it’s been re-melted then it has probally been replaced.

Could be hard to tell.

The BB3 kind of looks like the original shape-wise,

Could a Permanente marker make it black?

Many thanks to all forum readers and their input. I guess it is real after all although I have not seen the date stamped on the back of the headstock on other models but I guess it was done at the factory. I'll check the pick up wiring to see if it was replaced and I don't think it has been inked black but a good thing to check out. Thanks again to all who aded their two cents!

When I get back from vacation I will post the story of my '56 LP Gold Top that I thought was a 1970's model when I bought it - great story of a really bad looking guitar now restored - Merry Christmas to all!

Looks good to me... most of them didn't come with a TRC (or switch tips) so the guy must have added those. The pickup thing is tricky... some came with black pickups, some with a black p90 and a creme/black humbucker... this one, being the black model, might have come stock with the black/black pickup.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good to me... most of them didn't come with a TRC (or switch tips) so the guy must have added those. The pickup thing is tricky... some came with black pickups, some with a black p90 and a creme/black humbucker... this one, being the black model, might have come stock with the black/black pickup.

Naw, I have a black one and it had the Zebra BB3 stock..but I have to agree with the dude up top- The crafty folks in China who are bootlegging guitars are NEVER gonna copy a BFG. There's just no incentive. Why take the time and materials and resources when you could use them to knock off a custom that will fetch triple or quadruple the price? You can barely get a grand for an original BFG with hangtags. It'd be a waste of their time and money. They don't do it because they love guitars and they love the craft and they love woodworking so much that they make faithful reproductions of the Gibson's they love. They're leeches whose decisions are guided by the best way to maximize a buck. They hate Gibson and they want to take off as many suckers as they can.

Some one just changed out the PU on that thing.

How does it sound?

Archived