Gibson Brands Forums

Sonic Youth

Silenced Fred

Damn. Can't a man verbally beat down a crappy band without the original poster thinking it's a cut on them?

Actually when I woke this morning I was considering just deleting my reply because I was obviously irritated when I wrote it. This is not a good state of mind in my opinion to respond to something. I left it up as I was going to add an addendum to it and admit where I could have definitely handled things better.

So with that I apologize to evol and the rest of the forum members here for not handling this in an adult, constructive manner. After some sleep and consideration this is my response.

Evol,

I'm not sure if you realize this but your response could be taken a bit personally by the person who posted what you're bashing here. In this case that person would be me. I have no problems with you not liking Collective Soul. I don't have a problem with you saying "Meh..Never cared for that band" Cool... I can respect that and I wouldn't try to convince you other wise. When you get into bashing something like you did then you are essentially bashing the people who do like it. This is where I have a problem. In this example I happen to like Collective Soul and some of their music.

As an open minded musician I can usually find something in almost any group, type, style, genre etc... that I can say " well that was kinda cool" or at least appreciate something about it that was done well. It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to rush out and buy their CD or start following them around on tour. If I can't then I still wouldn't spend my time to bash it since there might be somebody out there that thinks it is just as great as what I might consider something else to be great. Again, if asked or I felt compelled to add my 2 cents I would just pretty much say "Nah I've never really cared for them" and move on.

If I really had an issue with a band to the point that I just had to unleash my personal distain for them I would most likely just create some type of dedicated post to it. For example: Why I would rather smash dog poo in my ears than listen to Collective Soul. I think then at least you get like minded folks who would have a great discussion around your opinion.

I realize you were ( at least I hope) not directing your comment directly and maliciously at me. My point is why we can’t at least be grown up enough and act like true musicians by expressing our opinions in a manner that doesn't belittle someone else that might have an opposing opinion.

That's it... Rant ends here and I hope we can have better communications in the future.

Regards,

Andy

You cannot be serious. This band? Really? More tasteless butt rock riffs sandwiched into milquetoast singing and playing. Every time I hear that Shine or spit me out (the giving head song) song I am so offended. My sense of good taste is offended.

I have no sense of good taste. But I can't stand Sound Garden, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, Collective Soul, Rage Against The Machine, Filter, Helmet, Tool, Pantera (don't get me started on Phil Anselmo ripping off Exhorder -- check em out on youtube), Queensryche, etc. Jane's Addiction I can do in small doses.

The Cramps were still going strong in the 90's, so we had that going for us though.

I have no sense of good taste. But I can't stand Sound Garden, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, Collective Soul, Rage Against The Machine, Filter, Helmet, Tool, Pantera (don't get me started on Phil Anselmo ripping off Exhorder -- check em out on youtube), Queensryche, etc. Jane's Addiction I can do in small doses.

The Cramps were still going strong in the 90's, so we had that going for us though.

Cool ...opinion noted and appreciated. So what do you like other than the Cramps?

Evol,

I'm not sure if you realize this but your response could be taken a bit personally by the person who posted what you're bashing here. In this case that person would be me. I have no problems with you not liking Collective Soul. I don't have a problem with you saying "Meh..Never cared for that band" Cool... I can respect that and I wouldn't try to convince you other wise. When you get into bashing something like you did then you are essentially bashing the people who do like it. This is where I have a problem. In this example I happen to like Collective Soul and some of their music.

As an open minded musician I can usually find something in almost any group, type, style, genre etc... that I can say " well that was kinda cool" or at least appreciate something about it that was done well. It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to rush out and buy their CD or start following them around on tour. If I can't then I still wouldn't spend my time to bash it since there might be somebody out there that thinks it is just as great as what I might consider something else to be great. Again, if asked or I felt compelled to add my 2 cents I would just pretty much say "Nah I've never really cared for them" and move on.

If I really had an issue with a band to the point that I just had to unleash my personal distain for them I would most likely just create some type of dedicated post to it. For example: Why I would rather smash dog poo in my ears than listen to Collective Soul. I think then at least you get like minded folks who would have a great discussion around your opinion.

I realize you were ( at least I hope) not directing your comment directly and maliciously at me. My point is why we can’t at least be grown up enough and act like true musicians by expressing our opinions in a manner that doesn't belittle someone else that might have an opposing opinion.

That's it... Rant ends here and I hope we can have better communications in the future.

Regards,

Andy

Maybe it was a little of a knee jerk reaction and how were you to know that there are few things in life that push my insanity button? Cilantro is one of them. The music of Collective Soul is another. If there was medication to sooth this button I would consider it.

Let's bury the hatchet and move on. Cool?

Maybe it was a little of a knee jerk reaction and how were you to know that there are few things in life that push my insanity button? Cilantro is one of them. The music of Collective Soul is another. If there was medication to sooth this button I would consider it.

Let's bury the hatchet and move on. Cool?

Sounds good to me man. [thumbup] [thumbup] By the way. I am completely with you on Cilantro! ihatecilantro.com

Good to see Jazzmasters to the fore

And a lady playing a Thunderbird

Only adds to the delight

V

:-({|=

When I saw them she was playing a torqouise 70s or 80s SG bass. It was sweet. She was just pounding it on the ground lol. I was enfatuated..

I can see why the chicks dig guitarists because when I see a chick rockin out it's just :wub:

When I saw them she was playing a torqouise 70s or 80s SG bass. It was sweet. She was just pounding it on the ground lol. I was enfatuated..

I can see why the chicks dig guitarists because when I see a chick rockin out it's just :wub:

That chick from silversun pickups does it for me... oh my god [blush] I want to see them so bad

i want her autograph [razz][love]

Sonic Youth is a great band!

I don't know if many of you heard about it, but "Daydream Nation" was chosen by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry. http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/registry/nrpb-masterlist.html

As to the disparagement and slights of some of our older members here against all "newer" music (i.e. everything after the Beatles [lol]), I can actually think of many fantastic bands from the 80's and 90's.

Archived