Gibson Brands Forums

Who's The Best Shredder?

neilpanda

and without strings YOUR licks would sound like s**t...horses for courses [thumbup]

Hmmm I don't think you could even have a lick that sucked or didn't without strings msp_huh.gif Kinda Like saying that that Air Guitar Guy's riffs suck! blink.gif Uh I don't get it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Les Paul. There are some wicked videos of him doing some prety amazing jazz shreddin' [thumbup]

Does Adrian Smith fit the description? He's one of my favorite guitarists.

Buckethead comes to mind... everyone keeps on whining about how he is just a shredder (and a great shredder at it) with no soul and all that... I think his playing is great.

Can someone answer me this - why do all of the hard rock and metal shredders use that same lite digital delay on everything? Everyone from Buckethead to Satriani to Petrucci.

I've never tried that. I use a hint of reverb from time to time on that style but never delay. For some reason I like to practice that stuff on my ESP Semi Acoustic Eclipse....unplugged...go figure :mellow:

Best Shredder?......This guy dammit. Been sayin this since 1975, especially this song:

Way to make a firebird scream. Second 20 is a good place to start.

YES! If we're counting Johnny Winter as a shredder, then I'll put him (and Rick Derringer) very high on my list. Ditto for Randy Rhoads. But if we're counting rock/metal lead guitarists who can play quickly as shredders, even if they don't fit into what's been labeled the "shred" genre, then my favorite (at the very top of the list) is Ritchie Blackmore.

If we're not taking into account guys like Blackmore, Rhoads, Van Halen or Tipton/Downing or Murray/Smith/Gers and if we're not taking into account all the great fusion players (McLaughlin, Di Meola, Holdsworth etc.) then my top-fiver goes kinda like this:

1. Marty Friedman

2. Paul Gilbert

3. Guthrie Govan

4. Buckethead

5. Chris Poland

Beyond that, I dunno. There are a bunch of others I like, and plenty of others I haven't really listened to or don't like very much. Yngwie doesn't fit into my list. Michael Angelo Batio does fit on my list, and he's high up on it, but I don't know where exactly. Basically, I like a lot of stuff. Hey, could I make a case for "Fast" Eddie Clark as a shredder?

Archived