Gibson Brands Forums

ES-295

Juicefani11

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to ask, is Epiphone ever going to make ES-295 again, or do we have to buy them overpriced from jerks in eBay? My dream has always been to get ES-295 and i want to make it happen... :) I'm not sure does this belong to this forum, but i hope it does.

Very hard to guess what the corporate heads will and will not issue...

Alternatives...

Epiphone Swingster----Joe Pass Thickness

Epiphone Riviera Custom P93-----ES 335 Thickness

Epiphone Wildkat-----ES 335 Thickness

Gretsch 5120-----Joe Pass Thickness

Epiphone ES-175 Reissue, with mods:

Swap out the Humbuckers for P-90's, and add a Bigsby.

-same guitar without the gold finish.

Dean Palomino with an added Bigsby, already has 3 P-90's

-almost the same guitar without the gold finish, but an extra pup and a five way switch...

There are others as well, not sure exactly what your after, the shape, size, features, or finish... [unsure]

I met a fella that is the original owner of a Gibson es-295 in gold that he bought new in 1954 for $400. What a beauty.I gave it a little play, you could just feel the history flow through it.....

Davej

These guitars seen on Ebay for 6 to 7 bills are a great price without a question .

Comparing the Gibson 295 vs the Epiphone 295 there is not much of a difference sound wise if any at all . The Epiphone 295 is one of the most underrated under priced guitars on the market today .

• 4 weeks later...

I met a fella that is the original owner of a Gibson es-295 in gold that he bought new in 1954 for $400. What a beauty.I gave it a little play, you could just feel the history flow through it.....

Davej

Hi,new guy here..the 295 in es-295 represented the price for a new one back then. All Gibsons of the Era (at least the es models) used the same method. So a new 175 would cost ya 175 bucks new back then.I have a 1955 es-295 and also a 1953 in sunburst(looks more like tobaccoburstthese really are great sounding,playing guitars. Very silky fretboards too.

These guitars seen on Ebay for 6 to 7 bills are a great price without a question .

Comparing the Gibson 295 vs the Epiphone 295 there is not much of a difference sound wise if any at all . The Epiphone 295 is one of the most underrated under priced guitars on the market today .

I am sorry but can't believe what you said..lol..their isn't much difference soundwise? Right,only night and day! The epi copies are ok for a cheap copy,but apparently you have never played a real es-295. With all due respect....Not even close. Seriously,not even close!The old Gibson p-90's are rich and warm and very uniform while the epi's are about like any other epi of the modern era. Nice copies but actually they just don't sound very much like the originals. In fact they aren't p-90's. Now the Gibson ri's sound pretty close,but still not as good.Maybe in another fifty years the newer (Gibson) ri will sound as good.Maybe.

All you gotta do is get the 175, add cream rings, a Bigsby, and a flower guard.

Gibson made 295s in sunburst and they made them with 'buckers.

I'm not sure if the ever made a sunburst AND humbucker model, but...

Yes,they should then sound the same..but would still be a copy. If sound is all you want though,then yes the 175 modded a bit would sound just like a 295.As long as you had the original Gibson p-90's to go with it.

• 4 months later...

The original Gibson ES-295 was the same body depth as the ES-175. Epiphone's 295 reissue is a little thinner.

This is my es-295 ..Signed by Scotty Moore (pickguard) This is the sweetest sounding guitar i have ever played. So warm and smooth.

55gibsonsignedscottymoore.jpg

This is my es-295 ..Signed by Scotty Moore (pickguard) This is the sweetest sounding guitar i have ever played. So warm and smooth.

55gibsonsignedscottymoore.jpg

Now THAT'S a 295. Love the Les Paul patented trapeze tailpiece and all.

Thanks for posting this beauty - put up some more pics!

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I don't care for on the Epi ES-295's (and also on the Peerless version) is the incorrect B-70 Bigsby. I never understood why they didn't come with the correct B-60 (which have a smoother feel on guitars with higher angled wooden bridge bases). Other than that, I think their great guitars.

Archived