Gibson Brands Forums

michael kelly or gibson

krock

have a very low budget of about 300-400 pounds which means the only gibby I could get is the melody maker. But also saw the michael kelly patriot series. I have to say, I'm very impressed. But does anyone have preferences as to which they prefer out of the patriot limited spalted maple or the custom. Feedback would be most helpfull, thanks in advance

Krock...

You didn't say what your Gibson preferences might be.

You may wish to look at the Epiphone offerings as excellent alternatives to Gibson designs. They're not identical, but...

You also didn't say what your neck and playability preferences are. They should be considered too.

m

good point. atm i play a squire tele custom which is a mix between a fender delux and a 72 custom. I think it has a medium C shape neck. And I dont mind epi's, I just want to know that they would be better than the Michael Kelly which I know are getting great reviews

Those Kelly's look pretty killer. I would go that way if they are in your budget. Of course, I have never played one, so I am making this based on looks alone. Melody Makers are great guitars. The first guitar I ever played was a Melody Maker, but only having one pickup can limit your tonal possibilities.

You will find the necks are very different on a Gibson - or Epi. That's why given my checking account, I find the Epis attractive - the necks.

I've never felt comfortable with Fender necks. Period. You may feel otherwise entirely.

That's why not matter what you decide, you should play the thing before spending your money. I personally put playability and reliability as the two top criteria for an electric guitar, far above "style" or "looks" or even tone.

m

As I play a mixture of different styles I need a guitar that can do everything. Thats the reason I love the tele. playes everything from blues to metal and everything in between. I bought it off merchant city about 4 years ago based on looks alone ( I was a noob then) but tbh I got a great guitar. I wont ever under estimate a guitar based on its brand. I know cheaper brands produce great instruments too.

so wat other guitars are good around the 300-400 pound mark?

kramer, jackson, ibanez all make quality guitars at that price imo although i admit more suited to rock and metal.

maybe try ebay? you may find a gibson lp studio "used" around that price? B)

Any models in particular? I dont mind if it cant play blues because I always have the tele for that.

endless models mate, check out there websites for a rough idea [thumbup]

i'm looking to get a jackson RR model for about £400 (just for thrashing) but you can get em for as little as £200 depending on pups...or kramer make two fantastic guitars "striker" and "pacer" models at around the £200-3oo mark, check out there websites

I have one. I've got a red Patriot Decree. Coil tap. Great guitar. There's nothing wrong with them at all.

I was going to sell mine as I've just bought an Ibanez AF.

It's in a stagg case. As new. If you're interested message me. I'm in Birmingham.

Welcome....I love my Epis..........I also own three M.K.s, and they are fantastic guitars; big bang for low bucks....The tops (usually) are solid; ie, my spalted maple top is solid....As per the two you show, I'd go for the spalted top with the string through body.........Fantastic guitars.....I'll post some pics of mine in a bit..........................

The Michael Kelly stuff I have played has been hit and miss. Overall they seem pretty nice and I came very close to buying one a few years back. I think great guitar that is made exceptionally well that can be had for the 200-300 USD Rang is the 1986, 87, and 88 Made in Japan Charvels. I have 2 MIJ and one in American and I have to say I still like the MIJ better. Everyone I have seen have excellent fretwork and very playable and stable necks. Every bit as good as the Old 80's Kramers that are now going in the 2000.00 USD range. I Still by them if I have extra cash and the price is right.

Here are the ones I own. I had a Black one but gave it to a friend for Christmas and he has just been raving about how well it plays...

6882d574.jpg

Regards,

Andy

Krock; My Spalted is chambered a bit, has split coils, is small and light; the book matched top is well done...The Patriot Decree is solid, darker than the photo, and has a very LP sound, and the top is solid and perfectly bookmatched.......

I also love my Gibbys and Epis, and Fenders, etc.....I do recommend M.K. guitars though..As Andy says, choose one in person......Hope this helps, Damian.........

Krock; My Spalted is chambered a bit, has split coils, is small and light; the book matched top is well done...The Patriot Decree is solid, darker than the photo, and has a very LP sound, and the top is solid and perfectly bookmatched.......

I also love my Gibbys and Epis, and Fenders, etc.....I do recommend M.K. guitars though..As Andy says, choose one in person......Hope this helps, Damian.........

Thanks for the info. Tbh I'm not too keep on the decree. With MK it would be between limited spalted and the custom. But tbh I would only in the end have the spalt if I liked the pattern on it.

Thanks for the info. Tbh I'm not too keep on the decree. With MK it would be between limited spalted and the custom. But tbh I would only in the end have the spalt if I liked the pattern on it.

Keep us updated on what you choose....and pics when you do...M.K. spalted tops are solid, not veneers, and they do them well......wishing you well for the new year, Damian...

Archived