Gibson Brands Forums

Earplug suggestions?

Andre S

The last two days I was sitting about 3 inches from my JCA20, and after playing i realized that my right ear aches a little. There is no ringing, but the actual ear tunnel hurts a little.

Today I stood about 7 ft from the amp, and the same thing happened again. I play in my room that is nearly all covered with hard surfaces, so I guess not much chance for sound absorption on the walls.

I was looking at some earplugs on music123, but I don't know much about them. Which brands of earplugs do you recommend to protect your hearing whilst playing?

Hearing protection is a very important issue

Earplugs tend to be in 2 main categories...Industrial and Musical

It's important to try out more than one type

Generally about 10,15,or 20dB attenuation works well for musicians

Or listening through carefully adjusted headphones can be an option too

V

:-({|=

Hearing protection is a very important issue

Earplugs tend to be in 2 main categories...Industrial and Musical

It's important to try out more than one type

Generally about 10,15,or 20dB attenuation works well for musicians

Or listening through carefully adjusted headphones can be an option too

V

I went to the hospital and got some custom ear mold's taken so I could have plugs that fit my ear perfectly. Worth a try. Custom ear plugs aren't cheap but at the end of the day you only have one set of ears

I went to the hospital and got some custom ear mold's taken so I could have plugs that fit my ear perfectly. Worth a try. Custom ear plugs aren't cheap but at the end of the day you only have one set of ears

Yes good point...I've been thinking of doing this for a while too

Either as simple plugs or as part of an in-ear monitor system

V

Yes.

Put them in your pocket - easy to grab them and pull them out.

Without the cord, the foam grabs the fabric inside your pocket - you look like a doofus playing with yerself.

Also easier to pull them outta your ears.

Leave the cord behind your head so they don't snag anything.

Longer hair (if you are so equipped) hides them pretty well.

Outside work, I keep several in my truck at all times, on my motorcycle, and in my gig bag.

Also in my range bag for shooting.

I've given away dozens of them over the years to contractors/vendors at the powerplant.

Same with fellow shooters and motorcyclists.

Re: krock;

I know lotsa people who've spent the money on custom hearing protection for various physical reasons.

They aren't terribly convenient, and they often resort to old-fashioned plugs.

Their plugs are dirty, their ears are dirty or giving them problems, etc....

Not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's almost as bad as contact lenses sometimes.

Something I will NEVER wear myself - long story.

Yes.

Put them in your pocket - easy to grab them and pull them out.

Without the cord, the foam grabs the fabric inside your pocket - you look like a doofus playing with yerself.

Also easier to pull them outta your ears.

Leave the cord behind your head so they don't snag anything.

Longer hair (if you are so equipped) hides them pretty well.

Outside work, I keep several in my truck at all times, on my motorcycle, and in my gig bag.

Also in my range bag for shooting.

I've given away dozens of them over the years to contractors/vendors at the powerplant.

Same with fellow shooters and motorcyclists.

Cool, thanks a lot Neo, I'll probably order them soon....everytime I play now, it aches a little...hard to hear my tone...So I'll have to set my tone and then play.

Re: krock;

I know lotsa people who've spent the money on custom hearing protection for various physical reasons.

They aren't terribly convenient, and they often resort to old-fashioned plugs.

Their plugs are dirty, their ears are dirty or giving them problems, etc....

Not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's almost as bad as contact lenses sometimes.

Something I will NEVER wear myself - long story.

Ive got custom ones and I'm fine. Ive got no medical condition and Id like to think my ears are very clean :) Only reason I got them is because I got em for like 1/10th of the usual price. But they are great and I love em. So confortable, cant even feel em. But the disposable ones that u have to squash between your fingers then put in your ears are also good because they expand in your ear to block all the gaps.

Archived