Gibson Brands Forums

Played some Gibsons today ..

EuroAussie

A small New years miracle occured today.

Just near my work is Pragues largest guitar shop, but its really a bit of a barn much like Guitar Centre in the US.

They stock many acoustics but mainly low end versions due to the realities of the average pay check here in Czech republic.

They did in the past stock a few Taylors and I bougth my old 214ce from there. ( it was a mistake and a learning experience)

I walk in today at lunch and oh my god, on the wall hang 6 Gibson acoustics, 6 of em, Im in candy land ... so heres my report on them.

As my past experience around 60% of Gibson acoustics sound good, 20% sound outstanding and around 20% are real dogs, today was no exception.

Here's how it went.

(1) First tried a J-45TV. I was excited about this because i played an amazing J-45TV in Germany sometime back and was blown away by it. However this one was an absolute and utter dog. It felt like plastic as soon I touched it, just strange, cheap in a way. It sounded even worse, literally like a plastic box and played horribly. I was quite shocked and couldnt work out what happened. Set up and strings were not an issue as they all just arrived and had fresh strings. Not a good start at all ..

(2) J-45 Standard. wow, probably the BEST Gibby there i played for rest of the lunch period. This was such as stark contrast to the TV that its just hard to believe. Amazing growl, projection, playability, good balance, not as midrangey as some J-45's. Just an absolute beauty.

(3) Hummingbird standard - As has been my experinece with most recent Birds, it sounded fine, everything was in place but just didnt grab me. Was simply ok, but not earth shattering. As always looked great. I was hoping for more.

(3) Moved onto a J-185. I finally found a J-185 that sounded really good. Very clear note seperation, good projection, great strummer. I can see why many people like this model. But for me there was something missing. And in the end it was a lack of bass and overall warmth. I think i would miss the warmth of mahogany or rosewood if i took this baby home. Looked amazing though in tobacco sunburst. Probably best looking Gibby there.

(4) SJ-200 standard - Much like the J-185. It sounded good, clear but again it didnt grab me and make me go wow. There was also bass missing, just somewhat nice, but without real attitude.

(5) I was about to resign myself that I was not a maple guy and then i picked up an SJ-200 studio, the cheaper, less blingy cousin of the one above. Oh my god, my faith in the maple jumbo returned. This had everything the other two didnt. It was loud, amazing, amazing bass reponse, great note seperation, oustanding strummer and picker. Just a killer J-200. It came with a fishman aura band so i plugged it into a marshall as-50d and the tone was heavenly. If i didnt have my SWD this would be my gig guitar. Had both the warmth and depth plus the great note seperation and clarity. Great balance. Winner.

(6) SWD - another great example of a SWD. Probably most consistent model Ive come across in the new Gibby collection. Although it did feel and sound a bit differenet to mine. The tone seemed a little lighter than mine, not as gowly, but overall a great guitar, great warmth and balance. All that you expect from a rosewood guitar.

So there it is, wanted to share my experience with you.

It reinforces the common perception that there are great Gibbys out there but you must play them first. Its a huge risk buying one unplayed with Gibson unfortunately, today was a great example.

The overall winners was an SJ-200 Studio, and J-45 standard.

cheers.

As always good to read these reviews of random collections of Gibsons. Welcome back from Candyland. What caught my eye was the way you rated the Standard over the J-45TV. Being a Standard owner, I several times wondered if the TV's is one tooth better since most of the people here seems to have preferred that model to the Std. There are some technical differences, spruce type, glue, not sure 'bout bracing - and of course the electronics. Especially the L. R. Baggs - which make the saddle rest on the soft-metal of the pick-up itself - could be an issue due to the lack of direct contact.

I am however very pleased with mine and a thing I've noticed when looking inside the creature, is how the 2 diagonal hind braces seem like scalloped by 'feel' rather than template. It's done by hand they say, so it could very well be possible, and the main reason the guits. come with this fascinating variety of flavours. The one I tried before buying what I have here f.x., had a stronger bass, but wasn't nearly as egal/balanced and loud - it's was from 08 and had taken a considerate, but serious banging from the young owner, trying to break it in. The ex. I ended up buying from Jan. 10, still kept the plast-cover on the guard and almost hadn't been played at all - still sounded much fuller and ready to go.

BTW. when studying these braces, I feel tempted to just run them over with a touch of sensitive extra sanding, , , oooooouuuuhhh no, better not !

Thanks for the detailed report, EuroAussie. I have a feeling that Prague is better stocked than Budapest, but this turn of events does give me hope that I might stumble on a cache of Gibson acoustics next time I stroll past the shop in Maria Square in Buda. Less hope of getting to Budapest this side of next Christmas though. Slightly disturbed at the canine qualities of the J45 TV. Can't afford one, and probably won't get a chance to try one, but on Thomann the sample sounds great (not quite as great as the Woody Guthrie). Wasn't there a post recently asking whether the TV was a good bet? Most people seemed to think it would be, if I remember rightly. There seems to be a sort of sense that guitars in this range should really all sound, feel and look great. True for all Gibsons in a way, but the extra layout on a TV should buy something special, in theory. I know I'm like many others who pitch up here, really seeking the impossible, which is a guarantee that if I order online the guitar will be a bona fide keeper in every respect! So it is good to hear from those who have access to more instruments, and who keep it real.

Well, let me tell you it was a shock to find a Gibson acoustic in Prague hanging on a wall, to have 6 of em a miracle !

The only high end models i ever found in Prague in past (not including Furch which is as good as any) was a D-18, Taylor DN8 and probably a 414ce.

Interesting you mention Thomann. When i was referring to the TV i played in Germany it was actually in the Thomann superstore where i made a visit. I actually bought my SWD there. The J-45TV was the best guitar i played there but the SWD better suited my needs at the time. (SWD was the 2nd best).

I also played the Woodie Guthrie J-45 at Thomann and it really stank.

I have to say im disappointed when guitars in that price range whether its Gibson or any other manufacturer sound so poor, or at least inconsistent. It it was a $2000 euro laptop you would expect perfect consistency without the slightest flaw. I believe it should be like that for guitars, or any product which is considered top shelf like Gibsons are.

Anyway, hope you get some nice guitars in Budapest. Great city, have a few friends there and often visit. Love Sziget festival.

Thanks for the detailed report, EuroAussie. I have a feeling that Prague is better stocked than Budapest, but this turn of events does give me hope that I might stumble on a cache of Gibson acoustics next time I stroll past the shop in Maria Square in Buda. Less hope of getting to Budapest this side of next Christmas though. Slightly disturbed at the canine qualities of the J45 TV. Can't afford one, and probably won't get a chance to try one, but on Thomann the sample sounds great (not quite as great as the Woody Guthrie). Wasn't there a post recently asking whether the TV was a good bet? Most people seemed to think it would be, if I remember rightly. There seems to be a sort of sense that guitars in this range should really all sound, feel and look great. True for all Gibsons in a way, but the extra layout on a TV should buy something special, in theory. I know I'm like many others who pitch up here, really seeking the impossible, which is a guarantee that if I order online the guitar will be a bona fide keeper in every respect! So it is good to hear from those who have access to more instruments, and who keep it real.

I love(d) Prague too, but have only been once. Different beauty from Budapest's. Have long wanted to go to the Sziget, but never been around at the right time - either in Blighty or down south here. Furches galore in Bp, and I will be sure to try some, but still hanker after a big G.

Can you say more about how Thomann's Guthrie stank? Did it sound anything like its Thomann sample (put differently, do you like the sound on the Thomann sample by comparison)? This model is top of my hitlist, but a standard J45 is also very high up there. Seriously unlikely to get to play both head to head. Currently MC/standard J45s are trading for less online, but last year it was the WGs which won in the price stakes. One appealing thing about the WG was that every review I have read about it till now was positive, and most were outstanding. There is even a review somewhere praising Gibson on their quality control on this model. J45 reviews more hit and miss, as might be expected. Thanks for posting a frank, negative appraisal - while it doesn't exactly help me make my mind up, it is good to have a fuller range of opinions about the fascist-killer. Could you spare the time to give more detail?

Well, let me tell you it was a shock to find a Gibson acoustic in Prague hanging on a wall, to have 6 of em a miracle !

The only high end models i ever found in Prague in past (not including Furch which is as good as any) was a D-18, Taylor DN8 and probably a 414ce.

Interesting you mention Thomann. When i was referring to the TV i played in Germany it was actually in the Thomann superstore where i made a visit. I actually bought my SWD there. The J-45TV was the best guitar i played there but the SWD better suited my needs at the time. (SWD was the 2nd best).

I also played the Woodie Guthrie J-45 at Thomann and it really stank.

I have to say im disappointed when guitars in that price range whether its Gibson or any other manufacturer sound so poor, or at least inconsistent. It it was a $2000 euro laptop you would expect perfect consistency without the slightest flaw. I believe it should be like that for guitars, or any product which is considered top shelf like Gibsons are.

Anyway, hope you get some nice guitars in Budapest. Great city, have a few friends there and often visit. Love Sziget festival.

I have some good news for you .. it wasnt the Woodie Guthrie SJ, it was the Brad Paisley J-45 that was stinker.

I did not play the WG, and now listening to the Thomann sample it sounds great, actually a very, very similar tone to my 69 country western.

Good value also, i think this ones a winner !

I love(d) Prague too, but have only been once. Different beauty from Budapest's. Have long wanted to go to the Sziget, but never been around at the right time - either in Blighty or down south here. Furches galore in Bp, and I will be sure to try some, but still hanker after a big G.

Can you say more about how Thomann's Guthrie stank? Did it sound anything like its Thomann sample (put differently, do you like the sound on the Thomann sample by comparison)? This model is top of my hitlist, but a standard J45 is also very high up there. Seriously unlikely to get to play both head to head. Currently MC/standard J45s are trading for less online, but last year it was the WGs which won in the price stakes. One appealing thing about the WG was that every review I have read about it till now was positive, and most were outstanding. There is even a review somewhere praising Gibson on their quality control on this model. J45 reviews more hit and miss, as might be expected. Thanks for posting a frank, negative appraisal - while it doesn't exactly help me make my mind up, it is good to have a fuller range of opinions about the fascist-killer. Could you spare the time to give more detail?

Hi Aussie - and all you guys ( this is my first post here :) )

I played exactly the same guitars as you did here in Prague (twice in 2 days), and the absolute agreement with your experience made me to register and post here.

Mind you, I had no previous experence with Gibson Acoustics (I have a M..can I say it here ? 000-18).. but I love my Gibson electrics, so I am a Gibson guy too :-({|=

Anyway, I was shocked by the J45 TV as well, reading all the rave reviews I really wanted to like it, but was disappointed as you were -esp.by the dull bass notes, which I later realised may be in part due to the vintage correct bone bridge saddle (rounded, with no sharp edge), which (maybe) muffles the sound compared to modern sharper saddle IMO. The mids had nice depth to them though, still it was a major letdown.

I liked the J45 Standard best, in fact I might go and buy it tomorrow :P ) - but it has a slightly dead E note on A string (7.th pos.), more like "I dont want to plays this note" than a real dead spot, but still..

Second favorite was the 185 - almost agreement again here.. sweet tones with nice sepration, balanced sound... also I am partial to the Vintage Sunbursts .. [thumbup]

I wanted to try the Studio J 200, but felt like I was kicking tyres for quite a long time anyway, so I left .. but probably will try it too..

All in all, none of the guitars screamed Take me home - but the J45 Std was damn close to it !!

But it is indeed something special here - to have 6 Gibson acoustics on the wall in the guitar shop in Prague - has never happened IRC in past.

Thanks for the review, it is good to know my senses didnt fail me ..

Wow, what a coincidence mate !

So i guess you are living in prague then and made the stop at kytary.cz ??

Definitely try to J-200 studio, it is unbelievable !

if youre aound were playing at Fatboys tomorrow nite at mala stupartska from 9pm.

cheers,

Mark

Hi Aussie - and all you guys ( this is my first post here :) )

I played exactly the same guitars as you did here in Prague (twice in 2 days), and the absolute agreement with your experience made me to register and post here.

Mind you, I had no previous experence with Gibson Acoustics (I have a M..can I say it here ? 000-18).. but I love my Gibson electrics, so I am a Gibson guy too :-({|=

Anyway, I was shocked by the J45 TV as well, reading all the rave reviews I really wanted to like it, but was disappointed as you were -esp.by the dull bass notes, which I later realised may be in part due to the vintage correct bone bridge saddle (rounded, with no sharp edge), which (maybe) muffles the sound compared to modern sharper saddle IMO. The mids had nice depth to them though, still it was a major letdown.

I liked the J45 Standard best, in fact I might go and buy it tomorrow :P ) - but it has a slightly dead E note on A string (7.th pos.), more like "I dont want to plays this note" than a real dead spot, but still..

Second favorite was the 185 - almost agreement again here.. sweet tones with nice sepration, balanced sound... also I am partial to the Vintage Sunbursts .. [thumbup]

I wanted to try the Studio J 200, but felt like I was kicking tyres for quite a long time anyway, so I left .. but probably will try it too..

All in all, none of the guitars screamed Take me home - but the J45 Std was damn close to it !!

But it is indeed something special here - to have 6 Gibson acoustics on the wall in the guitar shop in Prague - has never happened IRC in past.

Thanks for the review, it is good to know my senses didnt fail me ..

Thanks for the additional info EuroAussie and also Tom. Slightly relieved that the Woody still has a clean record, though I'm bemused that this almost mythical beast is Gibson's cheapest list slope-shoulder. (Even more bemused though that it ends up costing more than the standard 45 at both Thomann and Woodbrass, also at most UK online dealers...) From your description of this spectacular J45 in Prague, it sounds like your verdicts are based on an ideal which is not too far from mine. I want plenty of middle, but not so much that the guitar sounds tame. The best sloper I've heard on the net is a 2003 reissue of a banner SJ, which is warmer and has more middle than the 1946 SJ that its owner also plays, but still has more of that 1940s dryness and cracking treble than a lot of modern J45 samples I've heard. Sort of halfway between what I take the vintage and modern sounds to be. Also would like some bark and growl in my guitar - glad it can be found in a J45 MC. Just out of interest, how much is this fantastic specimen in Prague? No worries about competition, if you really do want to buy it Tom: I have no chance of getting there to try it! Just interested to know what sort of cheque you need to pick up a Gibson in the Czech Republic. Nice guitars are something of a plague on your bank account if you buy them in Pest... certainly way more expensive than in the UK.

Here's the magic 6 that we saw, the J-45 standard is around 1800euro. But you can get it for a couple hundred Euros less through Thomann, the only question is, will it be also as good ... http://kytary.cz/kytary/gibson/akusticke-kytary/

Thanks for the additional info EuroAussie and also Tom. Slightly relieved that the Woody still has a clean record, though I'm bemused that this almost mythical beast is Gibson's cheapest list slope-shoulder. (Even more bemused though that it ends up costing more than the standard 45 at both Thomann and Woodbrass, also at most UK online dealers...) From your description of this spectacular J45 in Prague, it sounds like your verdicts are based on an ideal which is not too far from mine. I want plenty of middle, but not so much that the guitar sounds tame. The best sloper I've heard on the net is a 2003 reissue of a banner SJ, which is warmer and has more middle than the 1946 SJ that its owner also plays, but still has more of that 1940s dryness and cracking treble than a lot of modern J45 samples I've heard. Sort of halfway between what I take the vintage and modern sounds to be. Also would like some bark and growl in my guitar - glad it can be found in a J45 MC. Just out of interest, how much is this fantastic specimen in Prague? No worries about competition, if you really do want to buy it Tom: I have no chance of getting there to try it! Just interested to know what sort of cheque you need to pick up a Gibson in the Czech Republic. Nice guitars are something of a plague on your bank account if you buy them in Pest... certainly way more expensive than in the UK.

Thanks for the link and the statistics. Woodbrass in Paris is even cheaper, with J45s on sale at 1508 Euros. But then there's the same quandry of buying an untried instrument. And maybe I'd regret not waiting for a Woody to come along (they're currently unavailable at both Thomann and Woodbrass). Has anybody had dealings with Woodbrass? I know the north-east of Paris quite well, but not the shop...

Just a quick follow-up:

Yesterday evening (after couple of hours hard deciding and playing the three guitar, the J-45, J-200 Studio and J-185) I went home with ....

the J-185 [love] in beautiful Vintage Sunburst !

She was just singing the best of them !

having it all, the sound, the feel, the looks...

The J-200 was also a super nice guitar but I guess I´m not a all-maple guy, the mahogany neck on the 185 made it sound warmer to my ears ..

The J-45 was as wonderful as I remembered it, but I already have a spruce/mahog.body guitar (of course sounding different, as it is a 000-18, but still I wanted to have a different combination of woods )

So I spent most of the last 24 hours learning the new girl to sing my songs (sorry Mark, I just had to stay at home with her O:) ) .. she responds beautifully, right now even seems to start getting little louder and less stiff.. When I was not playing, she got massaged leaning by the box with also new (burning-in) Alnico Blue supplied by a looper. No time wasted !!

Here she is (sorry for twisting your neck but rotating the pic would degrade it):

post-28619-089497800 1294526166_thumb.jpg

Excellent choice TomV !

The J-185 was definitely one of the best Gibbys up there and it definitely was the best looking one, good stuff.

No doubt you will have many happy hours with her over the long Czech winter !

Completely understand choosing styaing at home rather than going to a gig, would have done the same ..lol.

Hope to see you in the near future, here is our reverbnation site link which has also gig dates. Next Friday nite will be a big one as we play the Hard Rock cafe from 8.30pm as a three piece (tripleshot?) with a 2nd guitarist, should be lot of fun.

http://www.reverbnation.com/taylorprague

cheers,

Mark

Just a quick follow-up:

Yesterday evening (after couple of hours hard deciding and playing the three guitar, the J-45, J-200 Studio and J-185) I went home with ....

the J-185 [love] in beautiful Vintage Sunburst !

She was just singing the best of them !

having it all, the sound, the feel, the looks...

The J-200 was also a super nice guitar but I guess I´m not a all-maple guy, the mahogany neck on the 185 made it sound warmer to my ears ..

The J-45 was as wonderful as I remembered it, but I already have a spruce/mahog.body guitar (of course sounding different, as it is a 000-18, but still I wanted to have a different combination of woods )

So I spent most of the last 24 hours learning the new girl to sing my songs (sorry Mark, I just had to stay at home with her O:) ) .. she responds beautifully, right now even seems to start getting little louder and less stiff.. When I was not playing, she got massaged leaning by the box with also new (burning-in) Alnico Blue supplied by a looper. No time wasted !!

Here she is (sorry for twisting your neck but rotating the pic would degrade it):

post-28619-089497800 1294526166_thumb.jpg

Archived