Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot pickguards

Crow

Hello to all! new here as you can tell. I have googled for hours and can't seem to find a ready to go aftermarket pickguards for my Epiphone Dot. I have already removed the Big "E" logo, it was actually peeling off anyway. But I would like to replace the guard with guard bound in white. The oem guard has a very unseeable thin line around the edge.

I have found some on ebay but read here and there that they won't fit.

Does anyone know of a source?

I found this one for a 335 and I dowload his pdf file and it's not even close to fitting My Dot. From_Here

It looks pretty good, better than what I have but the measurements show it's just not gonna work even if I revamp it.

ANy help would be appreciated. THanks.

Hello to all! new here as you can tell. I have googled for hours and can't seem to find a ready to go aftermarket pickguards for my Epiphone Dot. I have already removed the Big "E" logo, it was actually peeling off anyway. But I would like to replace the guard with guard bound in white. The oem guard has a very unseeable thin line around the edge.

I have found some on ebay but read here and there that they won't fit.

Does anyone know of a source?

I found this one for a 335 and I dowload his pdf file and it's not even close to fitting My Dot. From_Here

It looks pretty good, better than what I have but the measurements show it's just not gonna work even if I revamp it.

ANy help would be appreciated. THanks.

Welcome to the forum :) There is a member here by the name of TWANG who has , it seems, taken up assorted guitar relaed stuff in his "spare time" (retirement???) He does pickguards and various plastic bits, can source stuff for you, and seems to be a busy guy these days with amp modding. Shoot him a pm, he can probably make you one to order, depending on what plastic he can get, I guess. Haven't dealt with him in that capacity yet, but pics of his work look really nice - he does some cool stuff. TWANG is his username (I'd imagine that if you sent him a tracing of your guard, it'd be sure to fit exactly, as I believe he cuts this stuff from scratch). Search for him on these here forums...

Hi and welcome. Check out the link below. I emailed this guy about getting a new guard that fits a Dot but has the Gibson 335 shape. He sent me a PDF of one he designed the same day to print out and it fit perfect. I still haven't ordered it, but there are tons of different material options and you can choose the angle of the beveling on the edges, ect. The guy seemed pretty cool, so just email him and tell him what you want and I'm sure he can hook you up. This link is for the normal Dot shaped PG.

LINK

I had 3 guards made by Terrapinguitars, and he does good work. (Above link) Below is one of the guards he custom made for me, I like it a lot.

TWANG is a lot cheaper and does excellent work. If I was gonna get a 335 done I'd try TWANG first. I had 2 335s made by terrapin, one was B/W/B which I liked, but I had a black/cream/black made for my Sherry that I like even more. If I was gonna get another one done for my Dot again that is what I would get, it matches the binding really nice. I was gonna have TWANG make the black/cream/black one, but he didn't have any B/C/B in stock.

Terrapin made the 335 guard in my Avatar.

Lion-Body.jpg

Welcome to the forum :) There is a member here by the name of TWANG who has , it seems, taken up assorted guitar relaed stuff in his "spare time" (retirement???) He does pickguards and various plastic bits, can source stuff for you, and seems to be a busy guy these days with amp modding. Shoot him a pm, he can probably make you one to order, depending on what plastic he can get, I guess. Haven't dealt with him in that capacity yet, but pics of his work look really nice - he does some cool stuff. TWANG is his username (I'd imagine that if you sent him a tracing of your guard, it'd be sure to fit exactly, as I believe he cuts this stuff from scratch). Search for him on these here forums...

Thanks for the Welcome. And thanks for the info.

Hi and welcome. Check out the link below. I emailed this guy about getting a new guard that fits a Dot but has the Gibson 335 shape. He sent me a PDF of one he designed the same day to print out and it fit perfect. I still haven't ordered it, but there are tons of different material options and you can choose the angle of the beveling on the edges, ect. The guy seemed pretty cool, so just email him and tell him what you want and I'm sure he can hook you up. This link is for the normal Dot shaped PG.

LINK

I had seen the Terrapin store before. I would like a 335 shape instead of the stock epi style. Thanks for the info, I may holler at him. The PDF's are nice for fitting. I had seen one at all parts and on the ebay store he said it would fit, but it is much shorter and no way to make it fit. That's why I wanted to come here and ask you guys that have done the footwork..lol.. Big help, thank you!

I had 3 guards made by Terrapinguitars, and he does good work. (Above link) Below is one of the guards he custom made for me, I like it a lot.

TWANG is a lot cheaper and does excellent work. If I was gonna get a 335 done I'd try TWANG first. I had 2 335s made by terrapin, one was B/W/B which I liked, but I had a black/cream/black made for my Sherry that I like even more. If I was gonna get another one done for my Dot again that is what I would get, it matches the binding really nice. I was gonna have TWANG make the black/cream/black one, but he didn't have any B/C/B in stock.

Terrapin made the 335 guard in my Avatar.

Lion-Body.jpg

THanks, SOunds like Twang might be the ticket if he's still doing it. I can't decide what color. My Dot is Cherry Red with white bindings, but the binding looks creme colored under the finish. So I might want Cream instead of white on the edge.

When you guys say W/B/W/B does that equate to a black pick quard with striped look around the edge? I assume so. Not familiar with the terms. But that seems like it would look like a while border with a thin black strip in it?

WIsh I could see a closeup of your dot. It looks solid black in that avatar. I like the lion, that's nice.

Here are some pics of my 335 pg. Still hard to see. b/w/b means black on top and bottom and cream in the middle, a 3 ply pg. A lot of guys prefer b/w/b/w/b, 5 ply. The guards I had made by terrapin fit like a glove. I know some have bought Gibson 335 pg and made them fit, but I'm glad I got what I got.

black/cream/black - the cream matches the binding better, kind of hard to tell in this pic but the cream is definitely softer that the white.

Sherry.jpg

black/white/black - the white is okay, but doesn't match the binding like the cream.

GOOD.jpg

Here are some pics of my 335 pg. Still hard to see. b/w/b means black on top and bottom and cream in the middle, a 3 ply pg. A lot of guys prefer b/w/b/w/b, 5 ply. The guards I had made by terrapin fit like a glove. I know some have bought Gibson 335 pg and made them fit, but I'm glad I got what I got.

black/cream/black - the cream matches the binding better, kind of hard to tell in this pic but the cream is definitely softer that the white.

Sherry.jpg

black/white/black - the white is okay, but doesn't match the binding like the cream.

GOOD.jpg

Those look great, especially the black/cream/black one. I'm more a fan of the 5 ply b/w/b/w/b personally. You're right though, the cream does complement the guitar nicely. Sweet looking guitars (especially the Sheraton). [thumbup]

Sherry.jpg

GOOD.jpg

Nice! After looking a several places, I am leaning toward Terrapin. I am a little confused on their site tho. I downloaded and printed their pdf of the Dot shaped guard. If they will make one in the 335 shape, it should fit perfect. I think I will email him. Beautiful guitars you have there. THank you for the pictures.

Nice! After looking a several places, I am leaning toward Terrapin. I am a little confused on their site tho. I downloaded and printed their pdf of the Dot shaped guard. If they will make one in the 335 shape, it should fit perfect. I think I will email him. Beautiful guitars you have there. THank you for the pictures.

Thanks. He custom made mine. I sent him my PG and he made it from that. He did my Dot first and my Sherry second. He used the template from my Dot for my Sherry. I drilled the holes to mount the pg for my Sherry because they were in different places than my Dot. There was an additional charge for him to make the first one because he had to use my pg as a template.

I downloaded the 335 pdf, at that time, and it didn't fit my Dot, the pickups were spaced differently. I haven't been on his site is some time, so he may have them available for Epis now.

He is very easy to work with. When he did my lion pg he sent me several sets of drawings until I found one that I liked.

Thanks. He custom made mine. I sent him my PG and he made it from that. He did my Dot first and my Sherry second. He used the template from my Dot for my Sherry. I drilled the holes to mount the pg for my Sherry because they were in different places than my Dot. There was an additional charge for him to make the first one because he had to use my pg as a template.

I downloaded the 335 pdf, at that time, and it didn't fit my Dot, the pickups were spaced differently. I haven't been on his site is some time, so he may have them available for Epis now.

He is very easy to work with. When he did my lion pg he sent me several sets of drawings until I found one that I liked.

NO they aren't on his site. He has the OEM Dot tonsil shaped one. But I don't want that. Heck the OEM picguard doesn't fit real good itself..lol..I emailed him last night and they haven't returned the email. I called them about five times today, just got a machine, left my number like they asked, but they didn't call me back. I hate to do business with someone I can't communicate with..lol.. He should have the template he used for yours, you would think. I tired the DPF template for the DOT they have and it lined up where it should, except for the holes. SO I asked them if they could do the top cutouts like that, but in the 335 shaped bottom. I would have to drill my own holes, cause they do not line up. I wish they would return my phone call so I could talk to them. But they are closed weekends.

In your two pic, I can't tell which is Cream. They both look white to me from those pictures. So, You have the black and cream on the Cherry Dot? I can't remember if the binding on my dot looked whiter when it was new. It's sure changed color if it was Bright white..lol Not really cream colored like on their website either just a different color..

I am also thinking of adding a Gibson style mounting bracket if I can find one cheap..

The binding on both of mine are cream and haven't yellowed. It's hard to tell in the pic, but the pg for the Sherry is cream in the middle. It looks a lot better in person.

IIRC it took a little while for him to get back to my emails. After I ordered my first, he was quicker. IIRC it cost me about $45 for my first, with shipping, since I needed to sent him my pg as a template.

If you can get a hold of TWANG he might be able to get it done fairly quick, and he does good work. I know he is building some amps now and is kind of busy, but it never hurts to ask. PM him. I haven't seen his name pop up on any threads here is some time though. He is also much cheaper. I had him make some TRCs for me. He did a nice job, and very reasonable too.

As far as getting the Gibson mounting bracket, I think you are just gonna have to get the Gibson one. I haven't seen an after market bracket like it, but they do look nicer. I didn't because of the hole in the side of my guitar where the Epi bracket was. I would have needed to drill another hole for the Gibson one.

The binding on both of mine are cream and haven't yellowed. It's hard to tell in the pic, but the pg for the Sherry is cream in the middle. It looks a lot better in person.

IIRC it took a little while for him to get back to my emails. After I ordered my first, he was quicker. IIRC it cost me about $45 for my first, with shipping, since I needed to sent him my pg as a template.

If you can get a hold of TWANG he might be able to get it done fairly quick, and he does good work. I know he is building some amps now and is kind of busy, but it never hurts to ask. PM him. I haven't seen his name pop up on any threads here is some time though. He is also much cheaper. I had him make some TRCs for me. He did a nice job, and very reasonable too.

As far as getting the Gibson mounting bracket, I think you are just gonna have to get the Gibson one. I haven't seen an after market bracket like it, but they do look nicer. I didn't because of the hole in the side of my guitar where the Epi bracket was. I would have needed to drill another hole for the Gibson one.

If I would have to drill a hole in the side of the guitar for a Gibson bracket then I'm not gonna bother. I was hoping the hole would match up.I guess I'm not sure what color the binding is on my Dot. I thought it was white, but it's definitely and off white now..lol.. Maybe its cream. I dunno..Another member here sent me his template from terrapin. SO that's a head start. I'm trying not to get to antsy waiting. I will see if I can find Twang and PM him.

Here's some pics. AMazing how white the binding looks in the pics, but it;s not bright white off camera. WOuld you call this cream?

binding4.jpg

binding.jpg

binding2.jpg

binding3.jpg

TWANG still pops in over at the sewatt forums (the Epi Valve Jr sub-forum there, for sure, as he's modded a bunch of those) and he's now on Facebook .... he posts up current projects he's working on.... pretty cool stuff - I have not personally dealt with him yet, but may get him to make me a guard for my LP, should I ever decide to put one back on (hmmmmm...maybe cream pearloid :-k )....the stock Epi guard, while appearing "cream" when compared to something white, seems to appear "white" up against the cream of the stock pup rings and binding. This was the main reason for removal - aesthetics/personal preference... playing with or without isn't an issue. The "whiteness" was :)

The white in the guard is definitely whiter than the binding. I know things usually look different in person than in a pic, but I would say your binding is cream.

TWANG is a regular on the Agile Forum. He was here too for quite a while. He was boo-whoed for offering his services several years ago, but continued to contribute. I noticed several members that dropped off the map after Epi.wiki went down. Most of them were banned here several years ago but were allowed to come back. Some of which chose not to return. There were a bunch of very knowledgeable people that have left the ranks.

The white in the guard is definitely whiter than the binding. I know things usually look different in person than in a pic, but I would say your binding is cream.

TWANG is a regular on the Agile Forum. He was here too for quite a while. He was boo-whoed for offering his services several years ago, but continued to contribute. I noticed several members that dropped off the map after Epi.wiki went down. Most of them were banned here several years ago but were allowed to come back. Some of which chose not to return. There were a bunch of very knowledgeable people that have left the ranks.

I have never been tot he Agile Forum. I have an Agile guitar too. Nice guitars. Not sure what I am going to do. I kinda like the 5ply guards. THe guy that sells them for Jeanie Pickguards is hard to deal with tho. I called him and he was kinda rude I thought. His guards are made to fit a Korean Guitar, and they have the 5 play. You think the b/c/b/c/b would be too much? His also have the coloer on top of the guard between the pickups. Where as some o the net don't. I know it's all about individual tastes but I enjoy hearing what others think of my bad choises..lol

Here is the one I was looking at originally. he is the only guy selling them that does not offer a pdf file you can download. he said to just send him my pickguard (Xtra charge). But my picguard doesn't fit right so that would defeat my purpose anyway..lol. Either my pickups arent lined up or the guard is crooked. There is a gap under the bridge pickup. it seems that I could use a dremmel to "file" away some plastic if something doesn't fit right. Have you ever trimmed or reshapes a pickguard?

Here is the one with 5 ply

HERE

John at Terrapin just got in touch. I am going to order a b/c/b one. Thanks for all the help. If the Cream doesn't look good, you will have to send me your Sheiridon guitar, fair enuff? :-"

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got my pick guard from Terrapin. I had to take a grinder to it to make it fit, but I expected that. I think each Dot is a bit different. There is some space between the pickups too. It looks just like I thought it would tho. As advertised. I sorta wish I would have gone to the ebay dealer that makes the five ply, but he was a bit hard headed dealing with. John at Terrapin was very nice. He used the template that was sent to me by Supersonic101, and it came out fine. Just had to make it work. I had to make the cuts a bit deeper (used a bench grinder) to allow the front of the guard to slide up to meet the neck, and I also filed some of the edge of the first cut so it could slide back a bit.. Then I drilled my own holes.I knew there would be some work to getting it installed, because the template Mike sent wasn't quite right. I'm sure each guitar is a little different.

Thanks for the help. I like it better than the old epi guard for sure. I also added some Gibson 57' classic pickups to the guitar. A whole different sound. Very nice. Now I need to find some black screws for the guard..lol

Thanks for the help

mypickguard.jpg

Thank you Mr Rastus. I don't miss the old pickguard that's for sure. Is that you wallerin around on the stage in yer pic??..lol Looks like fun!

I wish, that's Angus Young of AC/DC, if I could play 1/10th as good as him I'd be a happy chappy.

Archived