Gibson Brands Forums

Genesis on Ebay

jadedbat

Okay, I have to say it. These guitars are absolutely hideous looking!!! lol I know some people love them and they have sort of a "cult following", but man, I'm not surprised that they were discontinued. Definitely not my cup of tea, but to each his own. [biggrin]

I kinda agree that they are funky looking huh :) In person they really look different.. kinda like a Les Paul w/a double cut. Definitely not a design most folks would grab onto. I sure did tho.

Okay, I have to say it. These guitars are absolutely hideous looking!!! lol I know some people love them and they have sort of a "cult following", but man, I'm not surprised that they were discontinued. Definitely not my cup of tea, but to each his own. [biggrin]

That's why I like them.

Everybody has a Les Paul (me included), and while I worship the man, the guitars are just so.... ho hum.

Brian: Thanks, that's a very kind offer but, realistically, I cant justify another geet coming home until my 'Epi Biggest Loser - Mystery Case' makes it safely into my hands in May.

Rob: You've bought geets from the US I think??? Just outta interest then (& with US$ parity), what's the maths like on that?

EDIT: Looking back over this I think we might have an Animal v/s Duane 'knock down' match brewing [scared]

Cheers guys,

Brian: Thanks, that's a very kind offer but, realistically, I cant justify another geet until my 'Epi Biggest Loser - Mystery Case' makes it into my hands in May.

Rob: You've done geets from the US I think??? Just outta interest then (& with US$ parity), what's the maths like on that?

Cheers guys,

Shipping cost is 100-120 US$, in reality can be charged 75-200 US$, I wouldn't pay any more than US$150, insured. The total cost of the item is assessed by Aus Customs as cost of item + shipping + insurance (if taken), If it's under AUD$1,000 then no GST or Duty is payable, AUD$1,000 and over it costs %10 GST, %3 Duty and about $30 processing fee on top of the item's cost.

The Free Trade Agreement as applied by the Customs Dept is that's for US manufactured goods sourced from the US, I don't think they enforce the "manufactured" too strictly though and if it's from the US and from a US manufacturer (ie. Epiphone) it'll usually pass through no probs. To use the FTA you have to lodge an "Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA) Statement of United States origin" form, if accepted then you pay no duty but I think you still have to pay %10 GST. The FTA is only worth using on AUD$1,000+ purchases.

Shipping cost is 100-120 US$, in reality can be charged 75-200 US$, I wouldn't pay any more than US$150, insured. The total cost of the item is assessed by Aus Customs as cost of item + shipping + insurance (if taken), If it's under AUD$1,000 then no GST or Duty is payable, AUD$1,000 and over it costs %10 GST, %3 Duty and about $30 processing fee on top of the item's cost.

The Free Trade Agreement as applied by the Customs Dept is that's for US manufactured goods sourced from the US, I don't think they enforce the "manufactured" too strictly though and if it's from the US and from a US manufacturer (ie. Epiphone) it'll usually pass through no probs. To use the FTA you have to lodge an "Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA) Statement of United States origin" form, if accepted then you pay no duty but I think you still have to pay %10 GST. The FTA is only worth using on AUD$1,000+ purchases.

Great overview... Thanks Rob.

Anyone particular you use for shipping?

Great overview... Thanks Rob.

Anyone particular you use for shipping?

Fedex are good, USPS are great and UPS is to be avoided at all costs, UPS always get the paperwork and customs formalities wrong, you have to pay and then claim a refund on their mistake, problem is they make the same mistake every time. I'd ask for USPS if ever given an option.

I'm really unclear on the FTA and if GST is payable or not, it's been a while since I've imported a $1,000+ guitar.

EDIT:[/b] Looking back over this I think we might have an Animal v/s Duane 'knock down' match brewing [scared]

SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Be Vewy, Vewy Quiet - I'm hunting Wabbits!!!!!!

Hmmmmmm... I'm thinking Duane has coffee cans full of cash buried in his

back yard, ala Tony Soprano. But wait - there may be hope - it's winter,

the ground is frozen....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40&feature=related

I'm thinking Duane has coffee cans full of cash buried in his

back yard, ala Tony Soprano. But wait - there may be hope - it's winter,

the ground is frozen....

The ground is never frozen in SoCal [biggrin] ... However I just unloaded a tad over 4K on a amp and cab set-up, so the coffee can may have enough left over for a couple of cups of mud [crying]

If the price stays reasonable, I may come in towards the end and snatch it away [biggrin] .... Or if a 79 Genesis Custom shows up soon, I'll focus my attention on that model instead.

Don't buy it.....

The owner drilt right into the glue layer(the body is a pancake construction--> 2 layers mahony and a maple top.

The neck is loose, typical Genesis problem and is ripping the 2 mahony layers loose.

If you watch closely, you can see that the heel is loose from the body, it is not just a crack in the paint..

I have repaired almost 20 of these guitars, so I know when the heel is loose in the body....

Don't buy it.....

The owner drilt right into the glue layer(the body is a pancake construction--> 2 layers mahony and a maple top.

The neck is loose, typical Genesis problem and is ripping the 2 mahony layers loose.

If you watch closely, you can see that the heel is loose from the body, it is not just a crack in the paint..

I have repaired almost 20 of these guitars, so I know when the heel is loose in the body....

Thats ineteresting, I have five Genesis guitars and a Genesis bass, and they're all solid mahogany - a center piece and two sides - no top layer, maple or otherwise. One of them I stripped down to the bare wood, repaired the top and drilled a hole for a side-mounted output jack. It was definitely not constructed utilizing the "pancake" method you describe. BTW, what is "mahony"?

But since you're a Genesis expert, surely you have photos of your work and will post them here to educate us. Here's a few of mine:

P1000515.jpg

P1000513.jpg

P1000514.jpg

P1000746.jpg

P1000820640.jpg

P1010310.jpg

P1030570.jpg

Archived