Gibson Brands Forums

Which lightweight Gibson models would you recommend?

Jericho-79

Hey everyone. My girlfriend is interested in getting her first Gibson guitar. As we all know, Gibsons are quite heavy, especially for female guitarists. So I was hoping if I could get some input from all you Gibson experts here.

What Gibson models would you recommend for an adult female? Which models are lightweight enough for women?

My girlfriend told me that she doesn't want an SG or an Epiphone. So those guitars are out of the question, as far as she's concerned.

Right now, I know of only a few lightweight Gibson models:

Les Paul Goddess

Les Paul Vixen

Les Paul Studio Lite

Each of these are discontinued, I think.

I'm willing to consider both solid-body and hollow-body Gibsons. As long as they're easy on the back muscles.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks everyone!

Some of the new Standards are quite light. They vary in weight from one guitar to the next so it pays to hunt around. Studios are the same. Anything chambered would be worth a look.

Failing that try Specials, Juniors, TVs. or does she insist on a carved-top LP?

If she doesn't mind buying s/h try to find a used Goddess; they are very good instruments.

P.

This is difficult to answer, as LPS of the same models can have significant weight differences, as its subject to the wood used.

For example, my LP 08 Standard is 9LB, but there some out there weighing in at 8.5 LB and 10 LB!

The Studio Worn Brown is all mahogany and chambered, so very light. My one was 6.5 LB. But there is an impact on tone, so will need to try one first.

Alternatively you can buy a VOS, as some of there solid body models are much lighter than Standards / Traditional s etc., due to the very expensive and light wood used.

By the way, I would not say 9 LB is too heavy for a girl! I suggest you let her try some, before buying. She knows what you are planing and at lest this way you know she will love it.

All the best

Maybe check out what favourite female artists are playing...

And consider cost budget etc

Les Paul Juniors are great fun and make great sounds

Melody Makers are great value for money

Not forgetting the lovely Tele Deluxe or even a Strat...quite light bodied and looks great....

V

:-({|=

Failing that try Specials, Juniors, TVs. or does she insist on a carved-top LP?

It doesn't have to be an LP. But she doesn't want an SG either.

Are Juniors relatively light? Billie Joe of Green Day plays one.

If she isn't married to the Les Paul, you should check out the semi-hollow body models. Much lighter than Lesters and very versatile.

Which Gibson semi-hollow bodies do you recommend in that case?

It doesn't have to be an LP. But she doesn't want an SG either.

Are Juniors relatively light? Billie Joe of Green Day plays one.

Which Gibson semi-hollow bodies do you recommend in that case?

I would have to go with I know best. The ES-339. A little bit smaller than a ES-335 and in my own opinion, more comfortable to play.

It basically plays like a LP and sounds like a 335. It can be ordered with either a fifties style neck (chunkier) or a 60's (slim tapered).

This guitar will sing, cry and growl like a dog in the right hands.

I really like the 57 classics pickups on it too.

Hope this helps.

Dave

You might look at the new Nighthawks. I tried one out last week, and it played very nicely, was pretty light weight, and had a very nice variety of tones with the 3 pickups. Also, the price isn't that bad for a US made Gibson. Not my style, but then again LP's weren't my style 20 years ago either.

Archived