Gibson Brands Forums

Record Player advice

Silenced Fred

So I have a crappy one I bought at a Garage Sale, turns out its busted [lol]

For around $100, what's a good or decent quality record player? I have no idea where to start.

And before someone posts it, yes, I would like the Third Man Records set with his special headphones and all that jazz, but $500 is pretty steep.

The best I can offer is buy new.........Record players are still around, as you well know; do research as well.........some brands will be over-priced just because they can be.......

Sorry, that's all I can help with.........

Get a used Linn Axis or LP12 and be done with it.

An LP 12 for $100?

Can I have one too?! I'll pay cash....

LOL!

P.

EDIT : I've just had a look on ebay and the cheapest S/H 'buy it now' LP12 is $2,186.......

An LP 12 for $100?

Can I have one too?! I'll pay cash....

LOL!

P.

EDIT : I've just had a look on ebay and the cheapest S/H 'buy it now' LP12 is $2,186.......

I've seen them cheaper than that, but you're correct that an LP12 will definitely be more than $100.

The Axis is near enough the same turntable and they often sell for a couple of hundred or less.

Two options I would recommend.

1. Go used. In the city check out places like Saturday Audio Exchange.

2. Get a higher end consumer turntable like a Sony PSLX350H and upgrade to the best stylus you can afford.

LP12 for $600. Last record play you'll ever need;

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e#ht_500wt_1156

Yup. That would be a good one.

My search was a very lighthearted look at the UK offers only...

They were (are?) made in a small town about 10 miles from my hometown.

One of my best mates from school worked summer jobs in my area's esoteric hi-fi shop - curiously enough in the years around the same time as the deck in the ad was made (1978) - and I spent a lot of time listening to my fave vinyl on the most astonishing hardware I've ever heard.

I've always coveted a Linn (or a Pink Triangle) but I doubt I could justify the outlay. And what would I do with all my '45s and '78s? LOL!

I used to have a nice JVC and when that died (aged about 25!) replaced it with a Pioneer mid-market model which is good enough for all my aural/vinyl needs these days.

I still have about 600 albums which get decent 'airplay'.

I'm not familiar with the lesser models in the Linn range. I may check them out...

P.

Two options I would recommend.

1. Go used. In the city check out places like Saturday Audio Exchange.

2. Get a higher end consumer turntable like a Sony PSLX350H and upgrade to the best stylus you can afford.

I'll check it out, thanks.

And I understand what everyone is saying, but all I have is a Squier budget. I want something that will sound decent

Seriously, I doubt you'll get far with 100$. I've got a Rega Planar P1, which is a bone-stock no frills kind of record player with a good stylus and all that, rather than variable speed controls (you can actually just move the rubber belt onto different latches to change speed, manually). It sounds terrific and is always considered to be good for what it is in reviews, much more so than the Crosleys that TMR sell, which are actually more or less thought of as junk. But that's how Jack likes 'em.

Anyhow, I paid around 300$ for mine. I'm sure you could get it cheaper though, Sweden being notoriously expensive and all that.

Fred I'd be patient and extend your budget a few hundred. The Rega model mentioned are an excellent entry level machine. If you buy something sub-standard you're going to want to upgrade it immediately once you get a taste for vinyl anyway. Might as well get something half decent to start with [thumbup]

btw do you have an amp with a Phono input? What's your hifi rig?

And what would I do with all my '45s and '78s? LOL!

The Linn Axis plays 45's. The LP12 will play them depending on the power supply. As for '78's you'd need another deck entirely anyway.

I bought my Linn Axis used for $200. I've compared with with an LP12 with Lingo power supply and honestly could not tell the difference. It has the same bearings, motor, tonearm and a better power supply/motor controller than the older LP12's.

btw, LP12's are still made new in Scotland (same place they always have).

The Linn Axis plays 45's. The LP12 will play them depending on the power supply. As for '78's you'd need another deck entirely anyway.

I bought my Axis used for $200. I've compared with with an LP12 with Lingo power supply and honestly could not tell the difference.

Thanks for the info, mcmurray!

It's nice to know that not all manufacturing has been shipped to China...

I must check out the Axis. It sounds (pun) like it would be a very good choice when the Pioneer shuffles off it's mortal coil!

And whilst I do have a few dozen 45's the (very) few '78s I have are not exactly played every day...in truth I only have them for their wonderful packaging.

Cheers!

P.

Fred I'd be patient and extend your budget a few hundred. The Rega model mentioned are an excellent entry level machine. If you buy something sub-standard you're going to want to upgrade it immediately once you get a taste for vinyl anyway. Might as well get something half decent to start with [thumbup]

btw do you have an amp with a Phono input? What's your hifi rig?

I bought my Axis used for $200. I've compared with with an LP12 with Lingo power supply and honestly could not tell the difference.

I need to get a hifi set up. I don't have anything really. I have an older radio with a phono input that I was told should work, hooked up to some decent speakers

A bit of advise from a guy that remembers the "invention" of 33 1/3's the and change-over from 78's, OK, not really but only a few years from being true.

DO NOT buy a belt drive, yes they sound better, yes they are quieter, blah, blah, blah. They require maintenance and PARTS on a regular basis. ALL drive belts will require replacement due to use and/or age, and will eventually become an obsolete item and unavailable. I have put at least three turntables in the trash bin because belts for them were no longer available, and I'm talking about brand name turntables.

The "industry standard" commercial application turntable (radio stations, and "DJ's") is the Technics SL-1200 series direct drive. They are built like a tank, will last forever, and under normal circumstances will not require maintenance parts. They are not cheap, but they're not $1000 either. They are also a "current model", still being built, and I think even the mail-order music supply houses sell them for "DJ" use.

Last item: The most important parts in the sound of a turntable is the cartridge and stylus, and the stylus (needle) is another part that WILL eventually need replacing, they just wear out. DO NOT buy a "DJ" cartridge and stylus, while the term "DJ" used to mean a guy at a radio station that spun records, it now means a guy in a nightclub that spin records back and forth real fast by hand. They are not made to sound good, just to hold up under abuse. What you want is an "audiophile" type cartridge (and stylus) for actually PLAYING records. Make sure that is what you get.

I bought my "last" turntable about 15 years ago, a Technics SL-1200 MK II, and expect it to live up to that description.

OK, I'm done now.

DO NOT buy a belt drive, yes they sound better, yes they are quieter, blah, blah, blah. They require maintenance and PARTS on a regular basis. ALL drive belts will require replacement due to use and/or age, and will eventually become an obsolete item and unavailable. I have put at least three turntables in the trash bin because belts for them were no longer available, and I'm talking about brand name turntables.

Not if it's a Linn they won't. I don't see Rega going out of business either.

Belt drive all the way.

Best Buy usually has them for a "C" note. They invariably show up in their Christmas ads.

While you usually do not get a choice, direct drive is not all it's cracked up to be. Belt drive is better in that the motor noise doesn't get transmitted up through the turn table as it is insulated from the turntable via he rubber belt.

There are, currently, some turntables being marketed which plug into your USB port on your 'puter. I don't know if they will plug into a HiFi.

Good hunting.

[edit]

I just checked BestBuy, search for 'Turntable'. They have three listed on their website. If It were me I'd go with the one in the mahogany case. It specifies USB and auxiliary outputs to your HiFi, probably RCA or TRS plugs.

And while you're at it get a Discwasher. It's a micro bristle brush and cleaning solution for getting the peanut butter out of the grooves. I have one and it works fantastic. Worth the 20 buck investment.

I think I'm gonna end up getting a Crosley from Amazon for under 100 plus free two day shipping. Speaker jacks and a USB plug. Just need the expendable cash once I know how much more I need to spend on art supplies for class [crying]

I've purchased art supplies.. [bored] Now I know why artists are starving. $25 - $35 a pint for paint! [scared]

I think that Amazon Crosley unit is bundled with software for recording to your HD.

Good Luck!

P.S. Don't forget the Discwasher! You're not likely to find it elsewhere. [crying]

Archived