Gibson Brands Forums

SG Classic

DiamondJig

I searched but could not find anything on gibson's site on the SG Classic. I was at a GC over the weekend and played one as I've done in the past many times but this one felt special just right, it seemed to have a 60's neck and the body was very nice 2 piece center seem and a great heritage cherry color and finish. I wish they had one of the new 60's tribute to compare.

I picked up the Classic after reading up on the 60's tribute on gibson's page, very nice guitar, the P90 in it are hotter than the ones in my 50's tribute and double cut LP special. I do like the look of the small pickguard better then the full face but, the Classic has more going for it.

The Classics are nice guitars, full gloss finish, bound fretboard and MOP Gibson logo a lot nicer than what the finish on the 60's tribute will be.

I am in the market for one but I am under the rule of "one guitar in, one guitar out" so I must sell my Les Paul Vintage Mahogany first.

The necks on Classics are a rounded C though, and like all Gibson they vary slightly. Last one I checked at GC was spotless and had a real nice neck for my taste, it was thick but without too much "shoulder".

When they say 60's neck on the SG Tributes I'd like to know what that really means, in 61 the neck were tapered but my understanding is that late 60's SGs have chunky necks.

I've owned a few Classics and they all had much bigger necks than the 60's slim taper, more like the neck on the SG standard. There's nothing on the Gibson website because they've been discontinued as a regular product, but continued on as a Guitar Center/Musicians Friend exclusive. Nice guitars that surprisingly have remained priced at a good value.

Classic:

Great guitar, not the dreaded "worn" finish. Get it while it's available, imo. I have a 2000?? Classic and it plays and sounds excellent. P-90's not as hot as on my '65 Firebird 3, or 50's lap steel. Maybe Gibson left the P-90 specs behind in Kalamazoo, while at the same time they're constantly tweaking their humbuckers. Still a great axe, with plenty of snarl.

• 2 weeks later...

The local GC has had one that's been there forever. I think it hasn't been snatched up is because the finish is a very light cherry--looks almost orange. Otherwise it would be mine last year.

Does anybody know when the last "ebony stain" Classics were made?

I searched but could not find anything on gibson's site on the SG Classic. I was at a GC over the weekend and played one as I've done in the past many times but this one felt special just right, it seemed to have a 60's neck and the body was very nice 2 piece center seem and a great heritage cherry color and finish. I wish they had one of the new 60's tribute to compare.

I picked up the Classic after reading up on the 60's tribute on gibson's page, very nice guitar, the P90 in it are hotter than the ones in my 50's tribute and double cut LP special. I do like the look of the small pickguard better then the full face but, the Classic has more going for it.

I do a side by side comparison between my SG Classic and the new SG 60's Tribute in this thread:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/62696-60s-tribute-sgs/

...and as for the link, they've never had one as far as I know. I searched back in '05 when I first got mine and there was no link on the Gibson page, or any search results for "SG Classic" on the Gibson page. I've searched plenty of times since and haven't been able to find one. I heard from everyone at that time in '05 it was because it was "discontinued", which is obviously not true. The only thing I know they discontinued around that time was the black finish.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the 61 Reissue and am currently working a deal for a SG Classic at my local Guitar Center Store, plus with an upgrade to a SKB 61 ATA case, don't have any use for the gig bag. Was interested in something with P90s, seems like a good value. Comparing the neck, not bad at all and very close to my other one, not offensive at all.

Seems like the body on the Classic is thinner and the nut is plastic. If the deal goes thru, I will repace the nut and put Sperzel locking tuners on it for playing out. Better than taking my Les Paul or 61 RI out to get F-up up or stolen. Should become a workhorse for me.

Any other opinions on the Classic out there?? Areas where they cut corners and so on. I feel that it's a good value for a made in USA version in spite of being a mass produced production line item in the year 2011. Looking to pay $950.00 plus tax here out the door with the SKB. Asking them do do a little better, will know in couple of days. Thanks All.

^ Hey Mark good to see you here. I checked with a local Portland, OR, luthier and asked about replacing the stock plastic nut. This was the response:

"Bone is my favorite material for the nut on any guitar. That said, I don't generally consider it so superior to a well cut plastic nut that I would replace the plastic nut with a bone one. But plenty of people disagree with me on this issue and we would be happy to replace your nut if you like."

I really trust this shop so I'm going to leave the stock plastic nut in place. As far as replacing the tuners - the only issue could be the extra weight/strain it might place on the neck vs. the stock tuners (or so I have read on other forum sites).

^ Hey Mark good to see you here. I checked with a local Portland, OR, luthier and asked about replacing the stock plastic nut. This was the response:

"Bone is my favorite material for the nut on any guitar. That said, I don't generally consider it so superior to a well cut plastic nut that I would replace the plastic nut with a bone one. But plenty of people disagree with me on this issue and we would be happy to replace your nut if you like."

I really trust this shop so I'm going to leave the stock plastic nut in place. As far as replacing the tuners - the only issue could be the extra weight/strain it might place on the neck vs. the stock tuners (or so I have read on other forum sites).

Hi Dan, Sounds good, will also look into that tuner issue with weight and tension. Talk to you soon.

Archived