Gibson Brands Forums

GOT MY NEW SG TODAY!!!

VinceS

I just picked up a new 2010 SG Std 60's from GS today. I love it! I used to have a '64 SG "back in the day" that ,like an idiot, I sold and bought a Strat. Of all the guitars I've owned, I missed that baby the most. This one has the same feel as my old '64. Needless to say, I couldn't put it down until our power went out. We're in the midst of a pretty good snowstorm here in NJ. Luckily my laptop is all charged up. It's apparantly a GS special edition, so they hot rodded it a bit. It has a BB3 at the bridge and a BB1 at the neck. It also has coil taps which I think is a nice feature. The pickups are uncovered zebras and I don't think the cream coil goes with the dk cherry finish and the black pickguard. I'm probably going to install a set of chrome covers on it. Also, it doesn't have the trim rings around the pickups! Has anyone else ever seen a Gibson without the trim rings? I've picked up a set at the store and they're going on tomorrow. My other Gibby is a 2009 Les Paul Studio. The nice thing is they both sound different. Both have great tone and play great, but they're different enough to keep me interested in both. At any rate, I'm a happy guy!

Nice man.

The pickups aren't supposed to have the rings around them. This model has the pickups mounted on the pickguard like a Strat so the rings aren't necessary. On a '64 the pickups are mounted on rings like a Les Paul because of the small pickguard.

I agree that the pickups would look better covered. I have an uncovered zebra BB3 on my SG in the treble position and I like the way that looks but I think the zebra neck pickup looks kinda awkward.

Archived