Gibson Brands Forums

adding a trem to lp special

Doin Montary

i would like to have a guitar with a trem, Johnny A looks real nice and so does the 356... but on a poor mans budget. i saw a used Gibson Les Paul Special for $550, previous owner replaced the pickups with Dave Mustaine pickups. I am considering purchase ... but... i want a trem ...

question ... what type of trem would you suggest ? i am thinking floating ??? i want to make some cool tones but still have a poor mans budget.

also ... are Dave Mustaine pickups any good ?

i would like to have a guitar with a trem, Johnny A looks real nice and so does the 356... but on a poor mans budget. i saw a used Gibson Les Paul Special for $550, previous owner replaced the pickups with Dave Mustaine pickups. I am considering purchase ... but... i want a trem ...

question ... what type of trem would you suggest ? i am thinking floating ??? i want to make some cool tones but still have a poor mans budget.

also ... are Dave Mustaine pickups any good ?

Bigsby. You can get them for less than 100 on eBay, Amazon, craigslist, etc.

What are you wanting to do with your trem?

Just basic vibrato or (as you mentioned floating) super dives and pulls?

When you say Dave Mustaine pickups, do you mean the signature Seymour Duncan Live Wire active pickups or

pickups he's known to have used in the past on signature guitars (Seymour Duncan JB-4 and Jazz-2)?

I know you want a trem - anchored or floating ?

You want a guitar - a Gibson ? . . Les Paul? . . With a trem ?

On a poor man's budget . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . .Maybe something more affordable - Epiphone ?

Here's a new Epi Les Paul Plus Top Pro/FX - With coil splitting, straplocks and Floyd Rose Special double locking trem - $499

683811.jpg

Here's a new Epi Les Paul Plus Top Pro/FX - With coil splitting, straplocks and Floyd Rose Special double locking trem - $499

683811.jpg

There you go!

[confused]

Can someone explain to me why Fred got 2 negative points for suggesting a Bigsby?

I actually like the Bigsby...

Please don't hurt me!

[crying]8-[ :unsure:

Dunno, not me. I don't use those msgbrd features.

That is pretty lame to give negative anything over a valid hardware suggestion just because you don't like the hardware.

Okay.... I don't like trems at all, to put it bluntly.

But... if you've gotta have one, the Bigsby is probably as classy an option as you might have available to you. Parts are available too. Frankly I always disabled such stuff on guitars that I've bought for various reasons that had a B or other type of trem bar on it.

OTOH, if you get anything, you may also wish to consider a roller bridge of some sort. That adds to the price tag, but probably also will help keep things in tune. I even have one as a standard on my ancient (early 1970s) Guild SG clone, the S100c. It doesn't even have a whammy on it. Doggone guitar overall is wonderful and I always wondered whether the roller bridge isn't one of the reasons tuning never has been a problem until well after strings are totally worn out and even have fret indentations.

m

683811.jpg

that is a lot cheaper than a Johnny A or a Florentine... there must be a whole lot of dif between the epi and gibson ?

What are you wanting to do with your trem?

Just basic vibrato or (as you mentioned floating) super dives and pulls?

When you say Dave Mustaine pickups, do you mean the signature Seymour Duncan Live Wire active pickups or

pickups he's known to have used in the past on signature guitars (Seymour Duncan JB-4 and Jazz-2)?

i play some Hendrix, however i have been playing it acoustically ... i am less of a dive bomber ... more in the vain of Stevie Ray on Lenny and Riviera Paradise ... and yes ... i would say they are seymore duncan live wire ... i guess ... they have his name on the pickup ... ok, i dont know... now i am even more confused [blink]

i play some Hendrix, however i have been playing it acoustically ... i am less of a dive bomber ... more in the vain of Stevie Ray on Lenny and Riviera Paradise ... and yes ... i would say they are seymore duncan live wire ... i guess ... they have his name on the pickup ... ok, i dont know... now i am even more confused [blink]

Well, then you really don't need a floyd rose floating trem or anything like that.

A Bigsby or Lyre type trem (as already mentioned) would be more what you are looking for and

you would most likely not want the DM Live Wire active pups either.

To be honest, sounds like you really need a Fender.

that is a lot cheaper than a Johnny A or a Florentine... there must be a whole lot of dif between the epi and gibson ?

Gee, ya think ? [blink]. . . . . . . . Labor in China and Korea is inexpensive, and so are the materials.

Johnny A - Gibson Custom (USA) - about $4K more expensive

LP Florentine - Gibson USA - about $2K more expensive.

i play blues and jazz , played a 335 in the college jazz band, i like the 335 tone, i have been playing " inside the house " since college, "unplugged". I am playing a lot of jimi hendrix but again unplugged in an acoustic format, no guitars on fire, no feedback ... lol ... i guess my genre would be Barry Manilow playing Jimi Hendrix :-({|= lol ... you think there is a niche for that ? actually i guess its couch jimi... The guitar i really want is a 336 semi-hollow with a bigsby ... Gibson isnt knocking my door down to bring me one... and i am a poor man. [confused] my mind got to wandering when i saw the used LP Special.

this LP Special may be a deal i can walk away from

I personally do not care for Fender necks. Never owned one and I've had lotza other brands that have received varying degrees of affection.

As for the Epi LP versions, I'm also not an LP fan. But there are some Epis with a whammy, both solid and semis. I've bonded with a cupla Epis because of their necks. Given the price points, I've been happy even though I wish it wasn't from China for non-guitar playing reasons.

But as has been said many times, try before you buy regardless, if at all possible.

So.. why not just a 335 or an Epi of the same genre and forget the whammy? With 9s you can bend multiple strings. With practice you can fret with a bend and unbend for a downward run.

m

683811.jpg

Good choice for Don's budget.......

From what I've heard, I would suggest a made in Mexico Fender Strat.

Perfect idea.....MIM Strat....new $499.00........used, less.........perfect for what you want to play Don............

Yeah, that would be my vote as well. However, if you want a Gibson/Epiphone, I would just throw on a Bigsby.

A used Bigsby.......great for a trem...looks great, sounds great.......I'm addicted to them.......easy to install..........

Looks like the tribe has spoken...let us know what you end up doing....

Archived