Gibson Brands Forums

Sakai Electric Guitar - opportunity to buy cheap...opinions?

DB Cooper

I have the opportunity to pick up a Sakai Electric Guitar for just $50. I have not gone to look at it, but the pics look interesting, the condition looks decent. It's stated as being from the 1970s. I really don't need another guitar, but for $50 this might be kind of cool to mess around with.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

~DB

I don't recall the brand, but I'd love a project guitar if there's a decent neck and body that's not messed up.

A couple of years ago I looked at a 60s semi from one of those Japanese companies from the time period when they'd stopped using orange crate or shipping crate woods. It was in pretty sad shape and the closing-down pawn shop still wanted like $200 for it. The bolt on neck was stripped, but the wood otherwise wasn't bad. For $50 I'd still have bought it, just for giggles and for something to play luthier with...

m

I don't recall the brand, but I'd love a project guitar if there's a decent neck and body that's not messed up.

A couple of years ago I looked at a 60s semi from one of those Japanese companies from the time period when they'd stopped using orange crate or shipping crate woods. It was in pretty sad shape and the closing-down pawn shop still wanted like $200 for it. The bolt on neck was stripped, but the wood otherwise wasn't bad. For $50 I'd still have bought it, just for giggles and for something to play luthier with...

m

That's what I was thinking. I don't have time today, but if he still has it tomorrow, I'll go check it out. It's less than a tank of gas for my truck!

~DB

It has that zero fret European style I kinda liked...

Heck, if it wasn't rotted out I'd probably go for it. It's not a real "copy" of much of anything I can tell so...

With just one "neck" pickup... it looks like a great project guitar if the neck is at all half decent.

m

SAKAI was not a factory.

Sakai was a badge of an Englisch import company who imported guitars and amplifiers from mainly Azia to Europe and later North America and Canada.

Sakai guitars where ordered form various factoy's in Japan and Korea.

Your Sakai dates from end 60's to early 70's era.

The body of your Sakai is laminated plywood (much used by the Japanese for cheap guitars)

The tuners are not very good.

The neck is pretty good, and the frets are reasonably, no more, no less.

The guitars are very good to use for slide, thanks to the pick-up that has a very bright sound.

Around 1973, Sakai also ordered good Gibson and Fender copy's in Japan, from the Fuji Gen, Maya and Matsomoku company's.

In the early 80's Sakai disappeard from the market.

In the Netherlands Sakai guitars are pretty common.

Here is mine:

001-19.jpg

003-17.jpg

002-21.jpg

SAKAI was not a factory.

Sakai was a badge of an Englisch import company who imported guitars and amplifiers from mainly Azia to Europe and later North America and Canada.

Sakai guitars where ordered form various factoy's in Japan and Korea.

Your Sakai dates from end 60's to early 70's era.

The body of your Sakai is laminated plywood (much used by the Japanese for cheap guitars)

The tuners are not very good.

The neck is pretty good, and the frets are reasonably, no more, no less.

The guitars are very good to use for slide, thanks to the pick-up that has a very bright sound.

Around 1973, Sakai also ordered good Gibson and Fender copy's in Japan, from the Fuji Gen, Maya and Matsomoku company's.

In the early 80's Sakai disappeard from the market.

In the Netherlands Sakai guitars are pretty common.

Here is mine:

001-19.jpg

003-17.jpg

002-21.jpg

Thats pretty intresting stuff.

I like the SG, well minus the pink wirting on the pickguard.

Any sound clips of this baby?

As it turns out, I wasn't able to check it out today, and the seller told me someone else was coming to look at it...bummer...but, he never showed. So tomorrow morning I'm off to check it out. Low expectations, coupled with a low price = I'll probably bring it home!

~DB

Well, I bought the SAKAI. It's a bit rough, but for $50 it will be fun to play with. I've decided to do some alterations, as I figure I've got nothing to lose, right?

I didn't notice in the pic posted above, but the high E tuning machine is missing the knob (as well as the gear). So I will be putting in all new tuning machines. Any (cheap) suggestions?

The neck looks good, so other than a good cleaning/polish, I will be leaving it alone.

I plan on stripping, painting, and refinishing the body. Haven't decided on a color scheme, but something that says "early 70s" for sure.

I may switch out the pick-up for something else, too. I will have a look at the wiring when I remove the pick guard and pick-up.

I plan on leaving SAKAI on the headstock, but might put in a custom name somewhere on the body - maybe make it into a DB Cooper Special!

I've never worked on a guitar before, so this will all be fun. We'll see!

~DB

Great to hear you got it.

Shame about the tuners.

Although I can appreciate the thought behind sticking in an SD Antiquity or something I'd probably leave the p-up as is.

Sort of belongs there if you know what I mean.

Unless it sounds really dreadful, of course!

Looking forward to the updates as-and-when.

P.

Archived