Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Bigsby

Kpassa

There is a guitar at an auction house that is labeled as a Gibson Bigsby. From what I've read a Bigsby is nothing more than an aftermarket item

and there is no such animal as a Gibson Bigsby guitar, just an auctioneer who is going by what he sees. I looked on the neck and it didn't have

a model number for the actual guitar but it did have a serial number 0008260590 stamped on it. Any idea what the actual type of guitar would be?

I does look pretty nice and could be an older model Les Paul but if I was sure I wouldn't be asking here :) Thanks for any help.

Looks like it has a Vibramate.

Here are some more pictures. In the last picture, even though it is fuzzy you can see where they stamped the serial number and "Made In USA" if that helps to identify what

model and year it is. As you may have noticed it didn't say anything other than Gibson on the headstock.

15frayc.jpg

2py7wqx.jpg

11klaw0.jpg

2q2hj6q.jpg

Yeah, it's a 2002 Les Paul DC (Double Cutaway).

The Vibramate is an adapter to mount the Bigsby on the guitar without drilling holes in the top.

Supposed to work pretty good.

See if the guitar includes the original Stop Tailpiece - no big deal if not, they're not expensive.

You could remove the Bigsby if you wanted, and restore the original Tune O Matic/Stop tail with minimal effort.

I like a Bigsby myself.

The top is badass.

Guitar appears to be in great shape.

DC isn't very common, and I'm guessing the price may be lower to reflect that.

What's the story?

Got a price?

Include ORIGINAL factory hard case?

I like it. [thumbup]

Yeah, it's a 2002 Les Paul DC (Double Cutaway).

Did you date it by the finish or the serial number? If you used the serial number you must be an amateur cryptographer because

I didn't see anything in those numbers that would give me a clue as to the year of manufacture. Good job :)

What's the story?

Got a price?

Include ORIGINAL factory hard case?

Somebody needed money fast so they put it up for auction, actually at another auction house up the road. I was at that auction looking at

a 1952 es-295c and this guitar just happened to be there. It sold for $1600 but it looks like they figured they could get a better price

at this auction house. It's a long story but there are 3 auction houses in the area all run by members of the same family and they bid on

each other's stuff if they think it could do better at another auction. The next time this will go up for sale (unless someone walks in and

makes him an offer he can't refuse) is in March. No case or original pieces, just the guitar (which they obviously think is a lot more

valuable than it is).

FYI -

There are Gibsons built sporadically with a Bigsby installed - kinda rare though...

I'm sure there is but it wouldn't be called a Gibson Bigsby like these people are calling it. I'm sure they have no idea it's actually

a Les Paul or they would have noted that on the tag.

Did you date it by the finish or the serial number?

If you used the serial number you must be an amateur cryptographer because

I didn't see anything in those numbers that would give me a clue as to the year of manufacture.

First and fifth digit are the year.

Serial number 0008260590

Second, third, fourth are day of the year.

0008260590 = January 8.

Final three (or four after 2005) digits are the actual serial for that day's production.

No case or original pieces, just the guitar (which they obviously think is a lot more valuable than it is).

When there's no case, I worry that the guitar was stolen.

Get plenty of paperwork when you buy one like that - you may need it in court to recover your money... [scared]

Archived