Gibson Brands Forums

Lil Night Train

dem00n

I've played three. All sounded terrible. Glad you found a good one, all the ones I played sounded like they were coughing when you used any bit of distortion or the gain knob past halfway

Hmm, did you use a guitar with high output pups?

I only got to play it with a Tele, it was great.

Now you gave me second thoughts. [lol]

I should bring my MM some day next week and try it.

I haven't played one yet because I'm guessing I'd want it and I sure don't need another small amp, but they look great. I just wish they would sell the head without the speaker cab since I already have the Night Train and it's matching cab I sure don't need another cab. If and when they sell them separately I'd have trouble resisting it just based on looks.

I really like the Night Trains sound and at 2 watts it's not going to be a killer gigging amp but for sitting at home and practicing or even some basic recording with the aux out it has should be a winner. it's pretty cool looking. Almost all the complaints Ive heard have been related to the speaker cab with seems under sized and poorly made, in the reviews I saw rattle and speaker breakup and squealing were all pretty common issues.

I actually don't like the Night Trains that much in general.

I dunno, I tried a bunch of them (because of all the hype) and I always really wanted to like them. Hell, I wanted to love them, because everyone else did.

So, I know the Night Train is a sacred cow of modern guitar amplifiers, but I really don't like them. They sound cheesy and shrill to me.

Damn you Dem00n you just cost me money again after reading that post and making the comment about wanting the head only I decided to check tp see if the Lil Train head was for sale alone yet since Namm is over and thats when they said it would be available alone, and well it is. Sweet water has the head only for $249.00 so gotta do it and I ordered it. [smile]

Thats definitely your fault but I also bought the ZT lunch Box Speaker Cab with the 6.5 inch speaker, I've heard could things about these little boxes and there well made so I bought the cab and I plan on pairing it up with the ZVEX Nano Amp 1/4 watt head for the worlds smallest real half stack. I know the ZT might not be 100% your fault but you got be looking at amp on the Sweetwater site so I plain that $99.00 on you also. [confused]

Just what I need more tube amps [blink]

I played it at a shop in Portsmouth. Sounded terrible, way too thin. I tried it with 2 Prs SE's. One had buckers the other p90's. I always find it interesting when loads of people comment saying its bad and then you get a few saying it's good. It's either down to taste or QC. Good luck buddy [thumbup]

Hmm, did you use a guitar with high output pups?

I only got to play it with a Tele, it was great.

Now you gave me second thoughts. [lol]

I should bring my MM some day next week and try it.

I used a Tele, a Strat, a Blacktop Jazzmaster (which I hated), a Firebird, an SG and a DeArmond semi hollowbody.

From all of the reviews and what I'm hearing from other people, these are just bad units. However, me going three for three makes me nervous about those things for some reason.

If that one works, and you like it, snatch it up. I have just had bad experiences with em

They sound like a really good little amp, I find Vox is either you love them or hate them. I've used Vox only for about 7 years now. I'm really looking into the lil night train. I think I'll go try one out and give you guys my thoughts of it.I am really curious on how it sounds with my Traditional with 57's. Should be fun lol

I'm not too experienced with Vox amps, so I can't really judge it.

From that demo it sounds good to me. The nice thing about low wattage amps

is you don't have to crank 'em to get decent tone.

But with the wrong guitar, cab or even pickups they can easily be unforgiving.

Archived