Gibson Brands Forums

What should I do now?

awel

Hi,

I am into a deep introspection and wondering what should I do now? [unsure]

I am playing in a stoner rock band, but I would like to do something else, something more; I have started a new blues rock covers project but I am afraid of being caught in a closed 'blues' box.

I mean I like almost all kind of music so I was asking myself if I shouldn't start a rock (wide sense of it, from Stevie Ray to Green Day) cover band instead.

Does anyone already feel the same?

Do you like your bandmates? Are they in for a change? Try to start incorporating new sounds and ideas into your music.

Why do you have to be a "Stoner Rock" band? I never liked that term because i find it puts you in a box. Stoner rock is just a form of blues rock anyway...turn down the fuzz a little, and start writing ROCK songs...there is a lot of variety in rock.

Unless you are JUST looking to do covers...then just PLAY rock songs. :)

I really like my bandmates, they are very kind and try to do their best.

@ShredAstaire: I like your idea of just a rock band forgetting the labelling but the thing is it is hard to forget when the band is tuned in B!!!

they like it, but to me I am losing what I like in a a guitar sound, as I don't want to tune so low, I have a Morpheus drop tune pedal and it is doing her job well, but I lost the natural warm sound I like so much.

I really like my bandmates, they are very kind and try to do their best.

@ShredAstaire: I like your idea of just a rock band forgetting the labelling but the thing is it is hard to forget when the band is tuned in B!!!

they like it, but to me I am losing what I like in a a guitar sound, as I don't want to tune so low, I have a Morpheus drop tune pedal and it is doing her job well, but I lost the natural warm sound I like so much.

Is there a reason you can't tune up a bit? Talk to your bandmates and see if they are open to it...if not, then you know you'll need to find new bandmates...hehehe. :)

Good luck man!!

I'd say there are two aspects to the problem:

1. How can I play more music that I like... and...

2. How do I get it so folks will pay for me to play stuff I like.

Answer #2 and #1 will come...

If you have a broad enough book... reinvent the band you're in; make the book broader. Play stuff you all like in your collective style.

Talk to places that hire you now and experiment if they like the idea, at least to try a song or two that doesn't fit the mold. Heck, the Stones even did country songs!

I know what you mean about liking a really broad range of music; it's both wonderful and frustrating as all get out - which is why I suggested what I did.

m

back in the 80's, i was in no less than 3 bands at once: drums in one, guitar in others, etc. different styles: covers, "80's cheese", alternative, etc... add to that HS marching band, jazz band, orchestra... you get the idea.

I think your desire to expand horizons is normal: we all grow, tastes change, etc.

don't ever limit yourself: combine all your interests, and create your own sound...

:)

Don

I know but did any of you never been in that situation where you ask yourself: and now, what?

I am 36 and now dreams of being famous went away, but still like playing live so much, but I don't know what to do, afraid of not being good enough to join some bands...

not always easy [unsure]

I am 57 and started lessons to get better. I have not played live in many years but would like to again. I have those same fears of not being good enough, but when ever I play for someone they seem to enjoy it.

You will feel your way through this and it has to be your decision. Maybe you could sit in with another band a little to help you figure out your way.

I am 55, started playing guitar 4 years ago. Work at it everyday, been playing in a band now for over a year and we do a pretty wide variety of music. Some stuff I like more than other but it's all good in that I am getting better everyday. BTW I still have dreams of becoming famous one day because of my music... [thumbup]

Archived