Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone listen to Indie Rock?

Silenced Fred

I thought indie rock referred to bands that were independent of big labels. Matador, Sub Pop, etc. Or even bands that totally produce music on their own. The genre is irrelevant.

Sort of. In today's context I think of indie rock as bands that sound like they would have been on Matador, Sub Pop, etc. if they were around in the early nineties. Associating modern bands with the original meaning is moot. The labels have been co-opted and redefined.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And since you mentioned Pavement, who saw the farewell tour?

You mean the recent reunion tour? I did and it was amazing because they are an important bad. Songs were great too. I will say that after seeing SM & the Jicks more than a few times Pavement sounds stiff and not the sweet, Crazy Horse ragged I though they were.

Another band that I think you'd like is Surfer Blood. My favorite songs are "Harmonix" and "Slow Jabroni". I can't help but notice some of their songs rip off other bands.. But whatever.

Good call. I love their album even if it sounds completely different from a lot of other stuff I like (you can lump Tokyo Police Club in that group too). It makes me think of later era Pavement playing Tears for Fears songs with a little Afropop sprinkling. They also use a lot of spring reverb.

Blitzen Trapper is another recent band I am into. Great live. I hear a lot of The Band in them, but without a killer pocket drummer like Levon Helm.

You mean the recent reunion tour? I did and it was amazing because they are an important bad. Songs were great too. I will say that after seeing SM & the Jicks more than a few times Pavement sounds stiff and not the sweet, Crazy Horse ragged I though they were.

I saw a Pavement show a few months back too, but they definitely weren't "stiff" that night. I guess I'll have to check out a Jicks show for comparison, but Pavement was as low-fi, low-tech and high-energy as I had hoped they would be. Great concert!

To answer the question about Indie-bands and big labels: IMO a band loses its indie-status by going to a major, and R.E.M. is a perfect example. I don't think it's a coincidence that their music got more mainstream after the move to Sony.

Good call. I love their album even if it sounds completely different from a lot of other stuff I like (you can lump Tokyo Police Club in that group too). It makes me think of later era Pavement playing Tears for Fears songs with a little Afropop sprinkling. They also use a lot of spring reverb.

Blitzen Trapper is another recent band I am into. Great live. I hear a lot of The Band in them, but without a killer pocket drummer like Levon Helm.

I'll check out Blitzen Trapper

I saw a Pavement show a few months back too, but they definitely weren't "stiff" that night. I guess I'll have to check out a Jicks show for comparison, but Pavement was as low-fi, low-tech and high-energy as I had hoped they would be. Great concert!

Don't get me wrong, it was a great show. I am just saying that SM & Jicks have a very breezy feel to a lot of their songs while Pavement tends to be ridged 4/4. For example, rattled by the rush is one of my favorite songs. I just wish it grooved deeper like the Jicks' vanessa from queens or do not feed the oysters.

I'll check both of those out, just lemme know what else you would suggest. I'm starting to really embrace it because a lot of my songs "sound indie" so instead of trying to make it more blues rock-ish, I'll accept it and work off of it

Modest Mouse was awesome! Their old stuff was amazing, the last album was meh

on that note, i want a shirt that just says "...meh"

I don't want to throw a bunch of bands at you all at once because then you might just go to iTunes and click one random song to demo and get turned off on that band. Nah mean?

I'm pretty sure meh shirts are out there.

I don't want to throw a bunch of bands at you all at once because then you might just go to iTunes and click one random song to demo and get turned off on that band. Nah mean?

I'm pretty sure meh shirts are out there.

Yeah, I hear you. I'm new to the whole "indie" thing, but I'm seeing it more and more in my music, its like a combination of 60s garage rock, psychedelia, weird blues and indie

I'm gonna have to find me some of them there meh shirts

I agree but the same could be said about metal for sure. Maybe even moreso for metal.

Majority of metal bands arent indie.

There tons of metal bands that are unsgined, but home town bands that last for a few months and die once they are done doing bad covers.

Alright Fred I threw together some Pinback songs for you. I wouldn't call them indie rock but they're one of my favorite bands ever. I'm not sure any of you guys will dig them but I love them.

Pinback - Seville

Pinback - Concrete Seconds

these aren't necessarily all the best songs by them. They're one of those bands where I love every song on every album (except Autumn of the Seraphs) so it was really hard for me to pick songs. They have about a million other amazing songs.

Haha cool! Yeah most of their stuff is pretty mellow.

It's hard to imagine they're metalheads (at least Rob Crowe is I don't know about Zack). They have a side project called Goblin Cock if you want to check that out and see what I mean. Thingy is pretty badass too. My favorite side projects are Systems Officer and Heavy Vegetable. Three Mile Pilot is sweet too.

Haha cool! Yeah most of their stuff is pretty mellow.

It's hard to imagine they're metalheads (at least Rob Crowe is I don't know about Zack). They have a side project called Goblin Cock if you want to check that out and see what I mean. Thingy is pretty badass too. My favorite side projects are Systems Officer and Heavy Vegetable. Three Mile Pilot is sweet too.

You're kidding me. I have a side project called Cock Goblin. ****, now it's gonna seem like I'm copying them

Archived