Gibson Brands Forums

Who likes classical music?

ShredAstaire

Very cool! Great selections and very well-played by all of the musicians.

Here's someone else's rendition of the first piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OF2QfJ09E

I've always found that one very interesting. They take it slow and don't even use percussion, so it's very, very traditional in a few ways. I like it a lot.

And then, of course, there's Paul Gilbert:

[biggrin]

EDIT: I just noticed it's all one guy.

I very much enjoyed the Bach - after all the original is a bit of a shred-fest in any case.

Great musicianship, it goes without saying.

The Beethoven and Vivaldi were, IMHO, less well suited to receive the 'full treatment' from the viewpoint of the listener.

At least a listener with slow ears....lol!

I know it's only MHO, but I'd like to see what they could make of a different track-list, and to that end I'd suggest;

Chopin. Some of his Etudes are crying out for that sort of reworking.

Pretty much anything by Liszt. Oh! Just think of the cadences and cadenza's!

Rachmaninoff. Plenty to plunder.

And Paganini ! ! ! ! ! ! ? ? ? ? Fill Yer Boots ! ! ! ! !

All-in-all, though, Really Good Stuff. Thanks for posting!

P.

Theres only a few bands that i believe can do classical music as a side thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEs1AWf1eHs

This is a metal band doing cover of a very historical classical piece, and i think they did quite a good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w90MBg7JoA

Modest Mussorgsky makes very, darkish music perfect for covers.

Funny how the song is about witches and demons coming together for a black sabbath...

I like classical music. And I like rock. But I have always thought these "cross overs" were neither good classical nor good rock. They're OK but lacking.

I am interested and think I understand, but can you elaborate...ie why doesn't it work

Matt

After careful thought

I have decided that

Classical for me personally is better played on it's original intended instruments (including classical guitar, lute etc)

Crossover music can be initially very exciting and full of novelty, but again personally quickly becomes boring and 'showy'

But that is not to detract from the inclusion of a 'classical' interlude for variety in a Queen concert for instance

So long as Bach's Bourree in E minor does not continue to be flogged to death (stand up and confess Jethro Tull) <_<

V

:-({|=

Very valid points, Versatile.

On the other hand......lol!

...Classical for me personally is better played on it's original intended instruments (including classical guitar, lute etc)

Crossover music can be initially very exciting and full of novelty, but again personally quickly becomes boring and 'showy'...

What are your thoughts where the piece is played on the instrument as originally intended - or at least one quite similar - but in a different style?

I'm thinking in particular of examples such as where Jacques Loussier (both solo and as part of his trio) interprets works by Bach in a much more jazzy style on the piano?

Showy? Yes - but then again so are the original works. And I still haven't tired of listening to either version !

Just being curious...

:)

P.

but again personally quickly becomes boring and 'showy'

I agree on the surface...but i wonder if people thought the same thing back when they were originally composed and performed. Most classical tunes are just as "showy"...there's just no distortion or dudes with long hair playing them. (Or were there? :))

I argue that Classical composers were almost all shredders at heart...not to say i listen to a LOT of classical or even a little classical metal, but i enjoy it once in a while for the talent's sake and I enjoy stepping out and hearing someone else's take on a piece.

Thankyou for your responses and interesting points made....

I went through a 'groovy' phase like most young people when neo-classical and fusion styles became popular

I have much Loussier on vinyl and enjoyed it very much for several years...seeing his trio 3 times if I remember correctly

And again, not detracting from the often improvisational nature of some of Bach's work....

Perhaps my point is the 'full on' nature of most neo-classical rock guitar...a loud virtuoso spot during an Ozzy Osbourne concert for instance

I like to hear mf, m, p, pp as well as the occasional ff......

V

I was raised listening to classical music when my parents were home......standard fare, Beetoven (sp?) Bach, Brahms, Motzart,etc..........then one day my Dad brought home the synthesized "Switched on Bach" album, and I actually started LISTENING to the music.

I like Classical Metal crossover, but seldom listen to it, so I don't experience "burnout" with the genre.

There's an amazing amount of talent in the genre, thats undeniable.

I also really like Classical Hard-Rock c/o such as Trans Siberian Orchestra, anybody thats never experienced them REALLY needs to "youtube" some of the music from the Christmas in Sarejevo show.....great stuff there !

My first perceptions of music (apart from Bert Weedon on the BBC)

Were via the World Record Club mail order selections which have stayed in my conciousness to this day

Benjamin Britten...Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

Tchaikovsky...Serenade for Strings

Gershwin...Rhapsody in Blue, American in Paris

Rodgers and Hammerstein etc...Oklahoma, South Pacific, Showboat, The King and I, The Sound of Music

V

Archived