Gibson Brands Forums

Grover Tuner Swap

Andre S

I prefer the look of these compared to the stock tuners on my Les Paul Studio, and I saw on MLP that the Grover tuners can be a direct swap, without any headstock hole widening on Les Paul Studios.

I am looking at the aged Grover tuners from RSGuitarworks.

Does anyone know for sure?

Also I heard that the greater mass of the Grovers can increase the chances of a headstock break from a case fall compared to Kluson types. What do you think of that?

I much prefer the way they look, and from the research I have done, they do seem to be an easy replacement, I think that on the back of the headstock, you will have an extra hole and some people hate that.

not sure about the increased likelihood of a headstock break though

I think that it was Boleskinhouse on MLP who said that the Grovers are a direct replacement on Studios.

I don't want to buy them and find out I have to ream the headstock holes....That would suck.

When one of my original Kluson tuners broke off my Studio, I replaced them all with Grovers I bought from Stew Mac. They fit perfect with no drilling. I don't notice much difference from the originals other than they feel a little tighter.

I've never heard of the headstock issue until now, but I'm a little skeptical of that claim.

When one of my original Kluson tuners broke off my Studio, I replaced them all with Grovers I bought from Stew Mac. They fit perfect with no drilling. I don't notice much difference from the originals other than they feel a little tighter.

I've never heard of the headstock issue until now, but I'm a little skeptical of that claim.

So am I honestly.

What year is your Studio? I am hoping that this direct fit doesn't vary with year and type of tuner factory installed.

Also, do you know if the Grover tuner you bought from Stewmac is the same as sold by RS?

Roman Rist, a great luthier on MLP said in another thread that the holes do NOT need to be reamed if the guitar has the kluson look alikes which have a nut and washer compared to a press in bushing.

'Reaming wasn't stopping the change, but I am glad I don't need to ream out the holes.

Whether it's the kidneys or the keystones, be sure to get ones where the screw hole on the back of the tuner points straight down and not off to the side. You will still have a hole on top but that's life. The claim is that the extra weight of the Grovers would put more stress on the part of the neck where it meets the headstock if the headstock were to have an impact. Don't see the tuners making any difference there...but YMMV.

+1 on the extra hole. When 1 of my stock tuners broke, I changed them to grovers, and an extra hole for each is visible. The guy at the store didn't tell me that was going to happen (bad business), but fortunately I didn't care.

Edit: This was on my Studio.

+1 on the extra hole. When 1 of my stock tuners broke, I changed them to grovers, and an extra hole for each is visible. The guy at the store didn't tell me that was going to happen (bad business), but fortunately I didn't care.

Edit: This was on my Studio.

I think it looks cool....the extra hole.

One thing to consider is that the extra weight of the heavier Grovers will make for more neck dive. Personally I can't stand the Grovers. My 97 Studio came with those super heavy Keystone Grovers and I swapped them out for Gibson Deluxe tuners. But that's me.

Archived