Gibson Brands Forums

Who says you can't play Hendrix on an SG?

Shimla

Lately I've been devoting a lot of time to learning Hendrix songs and getting them down tight. It's a labor of love and taking some serious study. A muso friend commented, "you can't play Hendrix on an SG!" Hell you can't! Sounds great to my ear. I don't have a Bigsby vibato unit fitted for 'tremolo' effects and would like to hear from players who have one fitted and how you like it - how it compares to using a whammy on a strat, how well your ax stays in tune after using it....I recently had the old girl (a '74) re-fretted and am now thinking about putting the Bigsby on her. Are many of you out there playing much Hendrix on your Gibsons? Appreciate your feedback!I just finished a tribute article to Hendrix with some cool video attached.

If you're into Hendrix you might want to check it out here:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Jimi-Hendrix-Guitar-Wizard-from-Neptune-and-Beyond

post-30855-021848900 1297865780_thumb.jpg

I have a B5 on my SG and my only regret was not getting it sooner. Very smooth operation & feel and tuning has not been an issue unless I really push the bar down. It also looks cool as hell

l_c8cb9db5518b42dda4d323b41be4f899.jpg

Thanks EVOL - just what I wanted to hear - going to check into it tomorrow- you fit it yourself?

Thanks EVOL - just what I wanted to hear - going to check into it tomorrow- you fit it yourself?

No, I had a locale luthier and guitar tech mount it. He did it a lot cleaner than I would have and he filed down the old stop bar posts to shiny domes.

No, I had a locale luthier and guitar tech mount it. He did it a lot cleaner than I would have and he filed down the old stop bar posts to shiny domes.

I think I will go the same way - finally found a great luthier in Chiang Mai who recently re-fretted it beautifully. Bit nervous about picking it up but all was good thank god. Thais don't have the best reputation for precision work..Cheers

Have to borrow your thread for one question; But does actually matter what guitar you use to play the any song in? Saw a video of someone who said that one shouldn't play "Hey Joe" on humbucker, since it would come out all muddy (I think he said that). Just wonder, since it seems to be such a big deal for some people. It doesn't matter if I have a 335 and Fender Super Reverb like the artists that I listen to, it won't come out the same anyways.

When I saw Hendrix in July of 1970, he played a good number of songs with his SG. He switched a couple of times between the Strat. and the SG. When you have Marshalls made up to your specs, a lot of things sound great through them.

Have to borrow your thread for one question; But does actually matter what guitar you use to play the any song in? Saw a video of someone who said that one shouldn't play "Hey Joe" on humbucker, since it would come out all muddy (I think he said that). Just wonder, since it seems to be such a big deal for some people. It doesn't matter if I have a 335 and Fender Super Reverb like the artists that I listen to, it won't come out the same anyways.

For years, the Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore used and was known for playing Fender Stratocasters live and in the studio. When I, as an inexperienced guitarist, was interested in getting Blackmore's In Rock tone, specifically the solo from "Child in Time," I asked a guy at a guitar store for some advice. Guy asked what I was playing, I told him it was a Gibson SG Special.

"Well," he said, "There's your problem! You need yerself a Strat to do "Child in Time.""

Lo and behold: "Child in Time" was recorded on a Gibson ES-335.

More famous story: Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page is famous for playing Gibson Les Pauls. Every time someone wants to cop a Led Zeppelin song or solo, they go out and buy a Les Paul and plug it into a Marshall amp. So, would it surprise you at all to know that the entirety of the electric guitar work on Led Zeppelin, their first album, was recorded on a Fender Telecaster through a teeny-tiny Supro amp? The same goes for the solo on the famed "Stairway to Heaven" from their fourth album. Yet Jimmy himself would play those songs, in the coming years, on a Les Paul fitted with humbuckers, and thousands of guitarists following in his footsteps would hear that album and then proceed to try capturing those tones on a Les Paul?

Ain't no rule saying you've gotta use the same guitar as the guy who originally played it. [thumbup]

It's all in the fingers man, its all in the fingers

I love playing death metal on a jazzbox. If I were to ever start a death metal band, I would get a Gibson ES-137 and wear it down to my ankles.

I saw a great jazz guitar player, he used an ESP or Jackson, the one with the skulls on the finish. I hate to admit it, but Active pickups work great for super cleans and he sounded amazing. The rest of the jazz band was going to kill him and kept *****ing because "his guitar looked bad". While it may have been true, it sounded great and isn't that what matters?

When I saw Hendrix in July of 1970, he played a good number of songs with his SG. He switched a couple of times between the Strat. and the SG. When you have Marshalls made up to your specs, a lot of things sound great through them.

"When I saw Hendix" - how I wish I could utter those words and they be true.....alas I was but one year old

For years, the Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore used and was known for playing Fender Stratocasters live and in the studio. When I, as an inexperienced guitarist, was interested in getting Blackmore's In Rock tone, specifically the solo from "Child in Time," I asked a guy at a guitar store for some advice. Guy asked what I was playing, I told him it was a Gibson SG Special.

"Well," he said, "There's your problem! You need yerself a Strat to do "Child in Time.""

Lo and behold: "Child in Time" was recorded on a Gibson ES-335.

More famous story: Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page is famous for playing Gibson Les Pauls. Every time someone wants to cop a Led Zeppelin song or solo, they go out and buy a Les Paul and plug it into a Marshall amp. So, would it surprise you at all to know that the entirety of the electric guitar work on Led Zeppelin, their first album, was recorded on a Fender Telecaster through a teeny-tiny Supro amp? The same goes for the solo on the famed "Stairway to Heaven" from their fourth album. Yet Jimmy himself would play those songs, in the coming years, on a Les Paul fitted with humbuckers, and thousands of guitarists following in his footsteps would hear that album and then proceed to try capturing those tones on a Les Paul?

Ain't no rule saying you've gotta use the same guitar as the guy who originally played it. [thumbup]

That is exactly what I mean!

BTW. Did you buy a Strat afterwards? :P

Archived