Gibson Brands Forums

Speaker Cab ---finally close to finish

Andre S

Only one more piece of wood to cut! And thats because the back got messed up when I was trying to glue the tolex on.....so I simpy stapled it instead.

Whats left to do:

Cut a new back

Cut out space for jack plate on the back

install tolex on the back

and install speakers (not sure when)

Here are some pics

By itself, you can see the recessed handles, they are on either side.

DSCN3052.jpg

Wheels, they also have little slider feet so it can stand either vertically or horizontally

DSCN3053.jpg

Group pic:

DSCN3054.jpg

And the other way:

DSCN3055.jpg

Definitely fun!

The original plan was for 2 212s like Bonamassa's 2 412s, so like a mini version of his setup but now I don't have space in my room for another.

I may put in a greenback and v30 or some other combination. I don't know yet what amp I will be using it with so.....

I like your handles.... [biggrin]

I think the handles have a nice vintage look, thanks. I see you opted for Tolex, that stuff was too expensive for me so I just stained and poly'd, oh and the grille is purple velvet, I did a sound demo of it if you'd like to hear. My link

Sorry, didn't mean to make this thread about myself, your cab is the shizz, much cooler than mine. [thumbup]

Andre +1 from me. Nice job!

Thanks....the corners really saved me, in practice with paper they were beautiful, but with the real thing they were less than stellar.

Also the grill cloth, I pulled a little tighter in the middle, so the pattern is slightly off.

However considering that its my first time building anything like this plus using that material I will use it and not redo it.

Plus the screw heads for the baffle have become slightly worn out because I used a drill to put them in and the drill only has one direction turn so I can't remove them except by hand, which I really don't want to do.

I think it turned out great. I like the "wheat" colored cloth with the black tolex.

As for the pulling of the grill cloth. As it sags over time, you can always pop the

front frame back off and re-stretch/re-staple it.

As for speakers, not sure I'd go with a greenback/V30 combination... a 25 watt and

60 watt speaker... I night try a G12H30 with the greenback instead.

I think it turned out great. I like the "wheat" colored cloth with the black tolex.

As for the pulling of the grill cloth. As it sags over time, you can always pop the

front frame back off and re-stretch/re-staple it.

As for speakers, not sure I'd go with a greenback/V30 combination... a 25 watt and

60 watt speaker... I night try a G12H30 with the greenback instead.

Yea, I haven't researched properly as yet. I've stated it before, not sure if in this thread but I originally planned to build two 212s and run 4 amps, an amp per speaker ala Joe Bonamassa. However I don't have enough space in my room, so I'll just build only one.

Archived