Gibson Brands Forums

Combo amps with LP Traditional

Jared Purdy

Hi,

I was wondering if some of you could share with me what combo amps you are using with your LP's? I'm asking as I bought my first LP last week and when I was testing it out,I found some amps that sounded great with it, some that were not so great,and some that were down right horrid.

For example, I plugged it into a Mesa LSS 112, an amp that I use to have, and I thought that it sounded horrid with the LP. It was flat, muddy, and overall devoid of tone. Whereas the Strat Deluxe that I have sounded fantastic with it.

I also tried the Fender DRRI, and it was sublime. So much so that I may have to rethink getting that amp, or a clone (such as Vintage Sounds, Headstrong or Marsh) just for the sake of the Gibson! I was not so fond of the sound of the Strat Deluxe through that amp, though I did have the chance to play a 65 BFDR and it was amazing with the Strat. I also checked out a couple of Traynor amps, both of which worked really well with the LP.

Recently, I bought a Swart AST Master 112, which will hopefully arrive on Wednesday oR Thursday this week. I'm really anxious to hear what it sounds like with the LP, and pray to God it sounds amazing.

Any thoughts?

I'm sure the Swart will sound great. Your LP is a much different guitar than the Strat and as a result, you will have to change your amp settings from one guitar to the next to get a sound you like. It seems vintage Fender amps sound great with anything. I've found the reissues to be disappointing by comparison. I ended up going for a used Victoria which uses the old Fender Champ 5F1 circuit. They put it in a solid pine cabinet the size of a Tweed Deluxe and mine has a 12" Jensen (I think a P12R) alnico. The only knob it has is a volume. I put an overdrive pedal in line and it sounds fantastic with any guitar I've played with it. I was always tweaking the knobs rather than playing when I had more to choose from.

another vote for victoria. if you have the bucks, they are about the best you can get, almost like a whole new league. the tweed fender copies victoria does are extrememly good for getting the natual overdrive when you crank them, which is where a lot of amps have trouble replicating. for combo's with reverb, his origional designs are both pure and usable.

Personally I think the Fender DR is probably one of the best and most versatile tube amps ever designed and manufactured. It ain't a stack; it ain't a practice amp. A SS with fancy stuff on it may be better for somebody. But you actually can carry it and it can sound good for all kinds of styles at more than enough volume in a lotta venues, especially if you have it lifted off the floor a bit. Or you can mike it.

Depending on your pocketbook, you may even wanna look at some of the new SS Fender Mustang amps that seem to get mostly good reviews but apparently take some playing with. Mostly the only problem I can see with Fender - or, I guess, any - amps in my personal experience is folks expecting and wanting one thing, but buying something else for heaven knows what reason.

My guess is that a DR would handle 90 percent of anything most of us ever would do. Probably more, especially if properly miked. The weakness is that as an old design tube amp, there's no easy way to plug it directly into a computer or sound board and it has to be miked.

As has been mentioned, amp settings... vital.

m

Thanks for the replies.

It's funny that a couple of you mention Victoria as that was one of the amps that I was testing with the LP. I believe it was the Victoriette with two tens. It had EL84's in it, which wouldn't be my first choice, but it was a great sounding amp none the less.

I agree, generally, I am underwhelmed by the Fender RI's I had a PRRI, modded it with a new Celestion G10 Gold, a BillM Audio OT and Tung Sols, and the speaker would still fart out with the volume past 6. I was playing that with my Strat Deluxe. However, I was really surprised at how good the DRRI sounded with the LP. I compared teh Strat to it at the same time, and I think it works better with the LP. It's much fuller sounding. Some really noce bite.

When I was buying the PRRI, I tested the DRRI with my Strat and I thought the PRRI sounded better. But when I was checking out my LP, the DRRI sounded great, really great. A Victoria, Vinatge Sounds DR clone, Headstrong King S or a Marsh PR clone might be what I am after. Vintage Sounds will take a DRRI and remove the chassis and do a complete hand wiring of it for $500. So, if a used DRRI could be had for $500-$600, you'd have a hand wired Fender DR for $1000-$1100!!

My experience over the last year, with 3 different amps (Peavey C30, Fender PRRI and Mesa LSS), all of which had PCB, all of which had problems, is making hesitant to buy any more expensive amps with PCB, one of the reasons I went with the Swart AST Master.

As much as I like the sound of the Marshall amps, most of the clones that I have seen, don't come with reverb, which I generally like to have when playing solo, so I tend to gravitate towards Fendery type amps. Though I realize that there are a lot of non Fender sounding amps out there that come with reverb.

If I could score a 65, 66 or 67 BFDR, I would. I checked out a 65 BFDR two weeks ago, and decided to think about it over night. I went back the next day and someone had scooped it :( $2000, original Jensen speaker, original trannies, recent cap job, and very clean. That's how i ended up with a Swart. That money was going to go to the BFDR!!

black faced deluxe reverb is ALWAYS a good choice, and i agree with milrod that the it can and does nearly everything at one volume or another. i also think that speaker changes with that amp at an almost unlimetd versitility. origional c12r and c12q will breal up nicely, but if you want to gig with it and need it louder without breaking up, c12n's get it there. (but it should be noted that the reissue jensens will not mate with old fenders the way they are supposed to-far to bright).

anyway, besides confirming the choice of a dr being a great choice regardless of anything, there is one characteristic common to black faces in that as you turn them up, or turn the volume up on the guitar, they get brighter. the treble frequencies seem to be the first thing you get. cotrast something like a tweed and when you turn the volume up into breakup territory, it gets into a smoother tone. i said all that to say that the victoria in particular the victorilaxes and more so the victoriette, seem to act more like a tweed to volume adjustments. to me this is the biggest differnce between bf fenders and victoriette/victorilux. another thing that is common though is that the amp must be chosen for size more carfully, in that if you get a 40 watt you might be stuck with its clean tones and if you get a 20 watt you might be stuck with dirty if you need to be loud.

the regal is a whole different animal, and has been super popular around here. it may be the one amp that easily fits into the slot as being able to address getting tone and volume of the most amps. a lot of it has to do with the ability to change power tubes (or delete one) but it also has a lot to do with the inherent tonal qualities. one guy i know says it gets the most of different guitars. it also mates well with a lot of guitars because it doesn't have a lot of over the top tendencies. to me, the way i would describe it is it sounds almost identicle to the other vicky's from the audience, but feels polar opposite playing it. but not everyone agrees with me on that assesment.

If I gigged I would probably find a vintage BF Vibrolux Reverb pre or immediate post CBS. Those are the most amazing sounding amp to me.

Hi, what's the wattage on that, and the cost? I'm asking as I don't play out very much. Mostly at home, so I tend to go for 20 watts or less (the DR would be an exception as it is so amazing sounding with the LP!)

Hi, what's the wattage on that, and the cost? I'm asking as I don't play out very much. Mostly at home, so I tend to go for 20 watts or less (the DR would be an exception as it is so amazing sounding with the LP!)

I think they're 40 watts and have 2 x 10's. You could get an attenuator and still drive it. Even though my amp is only 5 watts, it has the 12" speaker and can get quite loud. I have a Weber Mini Mass attenuator and it's great. I can turn the amp up as much as I want really driving the 6v6 and keep it at a comfortable volume. As far as price for vintage they vary. The reissues lack that warmth of the older ones, IMHO.

black faced deluxe reverb is ALWAYS a good choice, and i agree with milrod that the it can and does nearly everything at one volume or another. i also think that speaker changes with that amp at an almost unlimetd versitility. origional c12r and c12q will breal up nicely, but if you want to gig with it and need it louder without breaking up, c12n's get it there. (but it should be noted that the reissue jensens will not mate with old fenders the way they are supposed to-far to bright).

anyway, besides confirming the choice of a dr being a great choice regardless of anything, there is one characteristic common to black faces in that as you turn them up, or turn the volume up on the guitar, they get brighter. the treble frequencies seem to be the first thing you get. cotrast something like a tweed and when you turn the volume up into breakup territory, it gets into a smoother tone. i said all that to say that the victoria in particular the victorilaxes and more so the victoriette, seem to act more like a tweed to volume adjustments. to me this is the biggest differnce between bf fenders and victoriette/victorilux. another thing that is common though is that the amp must be chosen for size more carfully, in that if you get a 40 watt you might be stuck with its clean tones and if you get a 20 watt you might be stuck with dirty if you need to be loud.

the regal is a whole different animal, and has been super popular around here. it may be the one amp that easily fits into the slot as being able to address getting tone and volume of the most amps. a lot of it has to do with the ability to change power tubes (or delete one) but it also has a lot to do with the inherent tonal qualities. one guy i know says it gets the most of different guitars. it also mates well with a lot of guitars because it doesn't have a lot of over the top tendencies. to me, the way i would describe it is it sounds almost identicle to the other vicky's from the audience, but feels polar opposite playing it. but not everyone agrees with me on that assesment.

Thanks, great reply. I don't play out, rarely with friends. I use to play professionally, so I have an ear for tone, but I'm at home most of the time now. I like combos, preferably with reverb. I'm 9-5, dad to a 14 year old girl who's a hockey star, married, dog owner. Sh!t, the list goes on! Like I said, I play alone. Guitars, amps and harmonicas are my vices. I don't own a Corvette!! I have imaginary throngs of gorgeous groopies flooding my imaginary stage!!!!

Hey Jared...

Here's just an idea; I know you want "the real thing," and I certainly gain nothing; but have you even thought to consider one of those Fender Mustangs that in theory, at least, emulate the DR? Then if a hockey stick goes through the speaker, it ain't such a big deal.

And you can download all kinds of additional fun stuff to play with on it, like backing tracks and such. I don't care so much for such stuff since when I do play out it's 80 percent gonna be some sort of a solo gig. But... if you've an LP which usually is more of a guitar for ensemble playing... that Mustang may offer some fun options just for messing around.

I know... It's heresy or perhaps worse, obscenity, to suggest such a thing to a "serious" picker who has pro experience. But... hey, if I did different sorts of stuff, I'd think about it. In fact, I'm already thinking about one of the smaller rigs just for fun and to add some metronome type extra discipline for some stuff I like to do.

Just a thought. And, depending on the paychecks, a spouse may complain far less than with a grand for the DR. (As in, promote the DR as the best, then the Mustang as a fall-back. <grin>)

Oh, and I gotta ask this. Is that Purdy as in the fine firearms or as in a Wyoming ranching family?

m

I think they're 40 watts and have 2 x 10's. You could get an attenuator and still drive it. Even though my amp is only 5 watts, it has the 12" speaker and can get quite loud. I have a Weber Mini Mass attenuator and it's great. I can turn the amp up as much as I want really driving the 6v6 and keep it at a comfortable volume. As far as price for vintage they vary. The reissues lack that warmth of the older ones, IMHO.

Thanks, That's what I thoght, though I could have just done a quick google duh! Too many watts for me.

I use my Fender Blues Jr. or my Marshall JCM 800 4210 with my Epi L.P. Trad Pro and she sounds great through both of them.There's something about a Fender amp that can bring out a real warmth in a L.P. and a Marshall can bring out the raunch.Although they're not combo amps my '69 Bassman with the '68 2X15 cab sounds absolutely fabulous with my Trad Pro-think Robert Fripp's sound on Epitaph on King Crimson's first album-I could listen to it for hours.I have a Marshall JCM 800 2204 that reeally makes the L.P. sound like a rabid dragon-just wild.

Archived