Gibson Brands Forums

BRIEF teccy question

Johnt

Non guitar orientated but this is spoiling my enjoyment of the forum!

have a new PC running Vista Home Premium and another running XP Prof.

On the Vista machione neither avatars or posted pics show "big"

Used to this as forum has always needed a re-fresh to show pics big from time to time but this new laptop doesn't co-operate.

The XP is fine that is the occasional re-fresh does the trick

Thermionik?

any other puter magicans?

I have a setting wrong somewhere can you tell me where it is

I have lost sight of TWilsons guitars, luckily I have also lost sight of his knees (just kiddin Tel!")

Thanks guys

John

Great question JT. I always have to refresh to get pictures big and I am running Vista. If there is a setting to make them come big to start' date=' I would love it! [/quote']

Frustrating isn't it Paul?

I have 2 PCs running Xp and they both respeond to a re=fresh.

the Vista one just gives me the finger!

When me buddy Thermionik wakes up he'll sort it

At least I do hope so LOL

You're joking - Vista vacuums big time. I have gone back to XP-Pro (in fact two PC's here at Hauteville villas are still sweet as honey on 2000 - best windows ever). My next upgrade will be vanilla hardware with entirely GNU (either Fedora or Ubuntu looking favourites at the moment - had a machine on Fedora/OpenOffice/FireFox/Mozilla a while back and it was brilliant, and my NAS is Ubuntu stripped down and works a treat). My aim is to move all the PCs clean away from microsoft products entirely. Imagine, a world where you don't have to re-boot just to make the basics work. Check out the NASA mission-critical software - Bill Gates ain't even allowed in the same county, just check out those Voyager machines.....

1977 launch, five trillion bits of data sent back to Earth (that's 6000 complete sets of the Encyclopedia Britannica). Once a year they do the equivalent of a re-boot (the baseline sequence cyclics end and restart with any timing adjustments being made and command modifactions implemented) whether they need it or not. And they are still planning for serious mission work until 2020, when the power levels start to drop a bit low. Try that with Windoze.....

That, Johnt, is why I knocked the IT work on the head - clients wanted Vista accreditation (2 weeks in Bracknel and £2,500 fees) and for what - a product that [a] I don't believe in and doesn't work very well. Sure, when it works it looks pretty - but I want IT that functions beautifully, NOT that just looks good. More money in antiques than fixing PCs.

Sorry mate - Vista for me is a mystery.....

For 6 years I used an old IBM Thinkpad 560 with a 1.8GB hard drive and 72MB of memory. It had 98 (upgraded from 95). No cd drive, external floppy and zip, no USB anything, and it ran and ran and ran.... it still runs actually.

A year ago my daughter bought a new Acer laptop with Vista and hated it from Day One. A few months ago she saved up and bought a new HP notepad thingie whiz-bang hoop-de-doo and gave me the barely used Acer. Turned out to have 512 Megs of RAM, which I quickly replaced with 2GB. It seems to run fine now.

I was in Bar Harbor Thursday and Friday and the hotel had wireless high speed. Whooo-baby! So friggin' slick, just let the machine detect a network and click, Bob's your uncle, Bob's your aunt, Sally's your third cousin and she just winked at you.

One thing that irked me was going on youtube and then wanting to dig through my temporary internet files and save the videos... for some reason they didn't show up there at all! I can do that on my old Dell with XP but Vista won't let me.

Understand please folks, I have dialup and have no other choice, so wireless was a delicious treat.

On the way to the coast I reluctantly listened to public radio, as that's what my co-worker wanted to listen to...ugh! They were playing classical and I tried to ignore it, but then I heard a violin in the hands of someone who knew how to draw notes out of a violin that I had never heard in my life. It went on and on and the more I heard, the more I was drawn to it. I hate classical music (or thought I did) but this tore me up so much I had to go to their website, find out what and who, and then went on itunes and downloaded the entire album in a few minutes. It was Paganini's Violin Concerto No. 1 in D major with a 20 year old Gil Shaham playing a 1699 Stradivarius.

I done lost my classical virginity.

I done lost my classical virginity....

Scott' date=' you are a soiled man.....Say 10 'Our Fathers' and 20 'Hail Marys' and you will be cleansed from your sin... O:) [/quote']

Hee hee

from what I heard that may not be enough!

Naw------------------------------> keep building those sins KSD!

Now your classical virginity is gone - check out any Paul Tortelier recordings - his cello playing can make me weep, so much soul (and I don't really get off on classical either.....).

Footnote - Paganini was a $hit-hot guitar player, and considered by the parents of his fans to be the devil incarnate on fiddle or guitar. He was real 'lock up your daughters' material in his day.....

Several first steps:

[1] Verify that the Show Pictures option has not been turned off

To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2. Click the Advanced tab, and then verify that the Show Pictures check box is selected under Multimedia.

3. Click OK.

[2] Enable scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, and Java programs

To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2. Click the Security tab, and then click Default Level (if it is available) for the zone that contains the Web page (for example, the Internet zone).

3. If you are using Internet Explorer 6, click the Privacy tab, and then click Default (if it is available).

[3] Verify that the image type is supported by Internet Explorer

Right-click the red X or the placeholder for the image, and then click Properties. Verify that the image type is supported by Internet Explorer by examining the Type or Address (URL) values in the Properties dialog box. For example, a Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) file lists GIF Image for the Type value. The Address (URL) value ends with .gif. Internet Explorer displays images with .art, .wmf, .emf, .png, .mov, .xbm, .avi, .mpg, .gif, .jpg, .mpeg, and .bmp extensions.

[4] Make sure that the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory is not present and disabling images

If you have the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory installed, click the Toggle Images.exe link on the Links toolbar to turn on images.

Note If the Links bar is not visible, right-click a blank area of the toolbar and verify that there is a check make next to Links. If the Toggle Images.exe link is not visible on the Links bar, click the arrow with two angle brackets on the rightmost side of the Links bar.

[5] Make sure that a 3rd-party security, firewall, or cookie program is not causing the problem

If you are using a third-party Internet security, firewall, or cookie-blocking program, contact the manufacturer of the program for information about how to enable scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, Java programs, advertisements, and HTTP referral information. For example, if you have Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) installed, visit the following Symantec Corporation Web sites for additional information about the various settings in these products that could cause the behavior that this article describes:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf/29dd58255a9a57a585256ee600556cc1/73af2219f66216e585256ede00518e72?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf/29dd58255a9a57a585256ee600556cc1/73af2219f66216e585256ede00518e72?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam)

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/429934053165308488256d8e0076af48/77ee338ff06cf3b5882568a1006a69a3?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/429934053165308488256d8e0076af48/77ee338ff06cf3b5882568a1006a69a3?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam)

If you access the Internet through a local area network (LAN), contact the administrator of your LAN to verify that scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, Java programs, advertisements, and HTTP referral information are not blocked by a firewall or by other security features on the network. This includes home-network router settings.

[6] Enable the Auto-Select encoding option

On the View menu, point to Encoding. If a check mark does not appear next to Auto-Select, click Auto-Select.

[7] Make sure that the encoding option is set to the correct language

On the View menu, point to Encoding, and then click the appropriate language for the Web page that you are trying to view. For example, if the Web page is in English (United States), click Western European (ISO) or click Western European (Windows). If the required language is not available on the View menu, follow these steps to add it: 1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2. On the General tab, click Languages, and then click Add.

3. Click the appropriate language, and then click OK.

[8] Accept that Vista is effectively an expensive beta-test, and Microsoft is using you to test it.

Let me know what happens.....

The other Vista problem which just might be causing this behaviour is the search indexing:

This is supposed to run unobtrusively - indexing at system idle periods in order to minimize the performance penalty affected on normal usage. However, this may not be the case in Vista, as the search indexing related processes such as SearchProtocolHost, SearchFilterHost and SearchIndexer are actively running even though the computer is processing other more critical tasks or running important applications. This effectively slows down overall computer performance by sucking up important CPU, memory and other system resources.

Whilst trying to display on-line images, Vista may just stop at the thumbnail and drop back to indexing duties.

To speed up Vista in general, and see if this particular problem is removed, you may want to turn off and disable the search indexer and indexing service. You can and should also disable the indexing of files if you’re using other desktop search utility such as Google Desktop Search and others. If you don’t mind the slower searching speed when performing searches, the indexing has no meaningful use to you anyway.

1- Click on Start button, then select Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools, and double click on Services applet. Alternatively, simply type “Services” (without quotes) in Start Search box.

2- If User Account Control asks for permission, click Continue.

3- Locate an service named Windows Search. Right click on Windows Search, and then select Properties on contextual menu.

4- Click on Stop button to stop the indexing service immediately.

5- On the Startup Type dropdown box, select Disabled.

6- Click on OK button.

There's classical and then there's classical. Beethoven and later is when it really started to 'rock'. These guys broke from the herd and were on the cutting edge. They wrote songs that any self respecting parent of that era would not let their daughters listen to. They thought it stirred up feelings in a young woman that a young woman shouldn't oughta be feelin' until her weddin' night. (Sound familiar?)

There was a high school group near here last spring I listened to that played "Night on Bald Mountain". I thought, swear to God, it was going to be a fun Bluegrass piece played by an orchestra. Nope, it was a Mussorgski. That piece really moves ya. Not Bluegrass but was really a lot of fun and really painted a picture. Saint-Saëns has a whimsical sense of humor. Also Dvorák wrote some good stuff.

Actually, I think most of this stuff is technically post classical "If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"

Johnt......I am surprised you are asking such a techy question.......I've heard it said......"Every second spent typing keys at the computer' date='is one less note on the guitar........"

LOL.....play more....surf less (ESPECIALLY the websites that YOU visit Johnt!!!!!) Have fun....[/quote']

How do YOU know which websites I visit? Have you been using my log-in again wily. You know the feds told you to stop LOL!

I ain't got facebook. friends reunited or any of that stuff. I did "discover U tube through this forum and I have only been a member for 3 months!

Je suis un Luddite!

Been working so hard for last 2 weeks haven't even taken a guitar from a case!

As for surfing.... I would need Moses to part the friggin waves!

I have been spending a little time lurking in the Acoustic Forum and at Martin. It saves me getting hacked off at Gibson Europe.

Any way love and peace to all.

• 2 weeks later...

I was (way back) going to suggest you ditched IE and went for FireFox - it never seems to give me the avatar/picture problem, where IE on the same machine does it all the time, but.....

I have just put Google's Chrome browser on - and it is even better than FireFox.

May be worth a try in Vista.....

Archived