Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar + hot car interior = Disaster?

heymisterk

After all my poetic waxing about my SG Classic, I left it - in its case - in my car on a relatively warm and muggy day. When I pulled it out of its case, I grimaced as I felt how warm to the touch it was. Sh*t! I blame my girlfriend who - ironically enough - was trying to talk me out of buying a used Les Paul!

Bottom line question: Could I have done serious damage by leaving it in the car for one day? I would say it probably was 80-90 degrees in there. I didn't notice any changes, but I guess I'm worried I might have weakened the glue or something like that.

Has anyone out there done something equally thoughtless? :)

Guitars like the same temperatures you do.

I love that line, it should be written in every guitar owners manual and how-to book published. You could tweak it a little and say "temperatures AND humidity".

Extreme (within reason) conditions will not do any damage to your instrument. It's extreme SUDDEN CHANGES that will hurt it.

I forget which forum (or even which message board) I read it in, but there was a guy that left his SG in his overnight in winter and when he brought it in to the heat the finish cracked right before his eyes (from the extreme temp change). Keeping it in the case might have helped...

dude leaving your guitar in the car is one big mistake my friend! you will regret it after the heat tweak the truss rod, because the heat actually tweaks the truss rod, scary! 6 feet underground is the best storage for your tweaked truss rod guitar! iam not sure if gibson sg could have the neck replaced. so its a big don'ts!

Archived