Gibson Brands Forums

quick question...

Silenced Fred

Singles sound better with fuzz... I think I'm just gonna order up a GFS or something

I was going to try and do this for no money outlay

Well, I "googled it," and got this:

"All you do is solder the black and white wires to ground. Everything else is the same. If you have a switch, all you are doing is toggling whether or not the black and white wires are sent to ground. So for your situation, you'd permanently want to solder the white and black wires to the back of a pot or something else grounded."

(From "Waylay00" on Jemsite)

That's one idea...there are other sites, (Guitar Tricks, for one) that discuss this.

CB

you could split the coils, permanent or with a coil tap switch, and what you have is technically a single coil, but it is not the same as having a single coil pickup. it will not sound as good. the design of the coils are more different than they look.

some aftermarket pup companies make humbuckers with one of the coils designed to sound better with coil splitting. some of these have coils that are imbalenced, and look like a normal humbucker baut hum a little because the coils are not the same, so its like a trade off.

it's all a matter of taste, fuzzman. you know what you like. have at it and tell us what you think.

THATS what I'm talkin bout.

Lay some down, Fuzzman. Give us some.

Just in a little bit. Actually, it only had one lead. I just pulled one of the bobbins off, attached the wires back so it created a circle, and let er rip.

Mmmmm... 60 cycle hum... [biggrin]

Here ya go!

So I have that tuned down a whole step, and I usually drop the lowest string to C. I give it the grunge treatment, It looks tacky (pictures in a bit) so I felt inspired to play some Nirvana. I love the drop tuning on that guitar, the strings feel amazing. I don't really care for the clean sound that much, but it was even worse for clean when it had the humbucker in it.

I know, it sounds like ***, I was rushed. Better clips later! along with pics [biggrin]

That sounded a lot better than i thought it would. Of corse, don't have a comparism, but I heard some good tone there. Heck, i might be tempted to buy a switch or a push pull. But then again, a new pickgaurd would be a stroll too.

But the best part, you SAID you were gonna give us some, and Fuzzman just up and delivered. Like, right now. "Want it?"..."Sure"..."WHACK..there it is"..

Fuzzman gets it done. Thats just how it is.

I'm busy multi tasking; but, um, that's great for a quick listen to......You took a crappy pickup and on the fly did it justice......Sounds great; good single coil tone...[thumbup] ....

Its a signature model man, can I get Gibson to produce these and then sell it for 4 grand? Hell, I'll sign each one [thumbup]

Nah, get Fender to produce it as the Roadworn Fuzzy Signature Superstrat :) That's a raunchy (in a good way) sounding pickup.

Archived