Gibson Brands Forums

My first recording of any sort.

DAS44

Just decided to screw around and see how my mic sounds, its a wee little webcam mic though so don't expect the world!

The playing isn't so great but any thoughts are encouraged!

One is clean improvisation over Little Wing, another just over a built in backing track on my amp and the other is just a random 12 bar blues I put on my looper pedal.

Insecurity!

(How's the mic sound you guys? It's the only one I got)

That's good tone, reminiscent of T-Bone Walker. Hard to believe it was a Web Cam mic.

Nice Feel, too. [thumbup]

Thank you sir :)

I'll probably upload some other stuff at random <shrugs>. All that is pretty clean so far.

Hey DAS44, I tried to send you a PM but I think your inbox might be full.

That's odd, I have 3 messages in my inbox so I don't know how that's possible! I'll clear it though!

Joined Kimba

Sounds great. The web-cam mic does distort a little, but that's not your fault. The playing is great. [thumbup]

Sounds like a Tele :-k

It's actually my Strat, in the neck pickup (The S1 was engaged on every one besides the "Random" one)

Anyone got any criticism to offer? the idea o the thread was to give me an idea of what I need to work on, it's been pointed out in real life that I tend to rush through things, and I've noticed it and I've been trying to work on it.

I thrive on criticism, it's a good way for me to get an idea of where I'm at and where I want to go, helps me get there too!

The faster runs do seem a little rushed. Your bends and note choices are very tasty, but the longer, faster runs could use a little more "attention".

Or maybe "Linger" in them a little longer. Other than that its good stuff[thumbup]

Resurrecting a necrothread, I know, but...

It caught my eye while I was looking for the "songs that have atmosphere" thread (to post up some ambient black metal) and I just had to take a listen.

First of all: your tone, for starters, is awesome! It's mellow, thick and substantial and it really complements your phrasing which, by the way, is very cool. I heard touches of Robbie Robertson in your "Little Wing" jam, and some very classic blues phrasing in your "RJ" and "Random" pieces (I thought Buddy Guy and T-Bone Walker). I'm definitely impressed by your technical precision and just how clean everything sounds. It's definitely something to be admired. Your "Random" piece was excellent, in particular--I think, for that one, you really held on to the notes and worked them with passion and palpable intensity.

As for any criticism? Just that, at times, I feel like you sort of lose touch with the rhythmic and melodic flow of the piece you're working in. My only advice is that you try to really pay very close attention to the timing of the piece as you play it--especially when you do a fast run, since I think that it's during those times especially when I really get lost. Try practicing different time values (quarter-notes, eighth-notes, sixteenth-notes, eighth-note triplets) with a metronome, at first with a tempo that you feel comfortable with and gradually increasing the tempo until you can't go any faster--then pull back a little and work your way up again. By playing in the context of the clicking metronome, you get a feel for the way a certain note sounds within the framework of a measure, as opposed to just being able to work your hands at a certain speed. That's really the only criticism I have for you--but overall, I really thought your playing has the potential to be top-notch. Tone was great, too, especially considering that it was from a webcam mic.

As for any criticism? Just that, at times, I feel like you sort of lose touch with the rhythmic and melodic flow of the piece you're working in. My only advice is that you try to really pay very close attention to the timing of the piece as you play it--especially when you do a fast run, since I think that it's during those times especially when I really get lost. Try practicing different time values (quarter-notes, eighth-notes, sixteenth-notes, eighth-note triplets) with a metronome, at first with a tempo that you feel comfortable with and gradually increasing the tempo until you can't go any faster--then pull back a little and work your way up again. By playing in the context of the clicking metronome, you get a feel for the way a certain note sounds within the framework of a measure, as opposed to just being able to work your hands at a certain speed. That's really the only criticism I have for you--but overall, I really thought your playing has the potential to be top-notch. Tone was great, too, especially considering that it was from a webcam mic.

Great advice man [thumbup] I'll keep that in mind. This is why I love your posts :)

Archived