Gibson Brands Forums

Annoying Cable Problem

guitargreg1993

Hey, I am very impressed with Monster rock cable's tone quality... far superior to my previous cables. However, when i'm moving around the cable tends to get all coiled up and tangly, which annoys me. I don't think I would be able to gig with this, as it would be too big of a problem.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?? What brand/kind of cables can I buy that would be best for stage use that wont coil up like that? Money isn't really an object... thanks!! [biggrin]

...or is this just a problem because the cable is new and not "broken in" very much? will it go away as i start using it more??

Get a coily cable there sparky! And they give you great t00ne as well!

Other than that, I have yet to play a brand (Monster, Fender, DiMarzio, etc.) that doesn't coil.

The way I think about it though, singing and playing guitar, I'm pretty tied to my pedalboard, so a 10 foot cable works great. And the Monster one that I have (cost like 40 bucks for 10 feet) doesn't tangle that much.

Rubber Coated cables do that to me all the time. I like braided Cables, they lay nice and resist twisting.

Here's a little obvious tip that often goes unnoticed. Right Handed guitar players turn to the right more often than they turn to the left, turning to the left puts your headstock in danger. This twist up your cable after a while, make it a point to untwist your cable from time to time.

I like using wireless stage systems, I can run, jump, roll on the floor, or whatever and I wont get all tangled up or run out

of cable, so I can go anywhere. but sadly, I dont own one [crying] but I am getting one, and I suggest you get one too!

I like using wireless stage systems, I can run, jump, roll on the floor, or whatever and I wont get all tangled up or run out

of cable, so I can go anywhere. but sadly, I dont own one [crying] but I am getting one, and I suggest you get one too!

yea that'd be nice... if i had $300 laying around i could spend [crying]

seriously though, it's not very high up on my list of stuff i gotta have. for that type of money there are so many other things i'd like to have....

Is that one of those cables that isn't very flexable and stiff? (I have experiences some monster cables like that with stereo stuff, but some were super flexable).

When I set up, I always take the twist out by running the cable through my hands in both directions all the way through. (I just have a habit like that as I use a lot of extention cords at work). The act of rolling up a cord always puts twist in it.

I been using Spectraflex practically sense they came out. Broken in cords sound better. They were the best sounding at the time new when I bought them, but I'm sure there may be better ones now. I'm actually surprised they still work.

Get a coily cable there sparky! And they give you great t00ne as well!

The way I think about it though, singing and playing guitar, I'm pretty tied to my pedalboard, so a 10 foot cable works great. And the Monster one that I have (cost like 40 bucks for 10 feet) doesn't tangle that much.

hahaha the funny thing is that i was going to buy the silver Vox coily cable, but decided to get the Monster Rock...

i can't sing worth s**t, so i wouldn't just stand there onstage. i move around quite a bit... which is part of the reason i didn't go with the coily cable. i figured it would be impractical to have it onstage since it would limit my movement.... [unsure]

Rubber Coated cables do that to me all the time. I like braided Cables, they lay nice and resist twisting.

Here's a little obvious tip that often goes unnoticed. Right Handed guitar players turn to the right more often than they turn to the left, turning to the left puts your headstock in danger. This twist up your cable after a while, make it a point to untwist your cable from time to time.

thanks man!! yea, that's pretty much what i do when it gets coiled up to the point where it bothers me... i just pull the jack out of my guitar, straighten the cable, and plug it back in. [thumbup]

Is that one of those cables that isn't very flexable and stiff? (I have experiences some monster cables like that with stereo stuff, but some were super flexable).

When I set up, I always take the twist out by running the cable through my hands in both directions all the way through. (I just have a habit like that as I use a lot of extention cords at work). The act of rolling up a cord always puts twist in it.

I been using Spectraflex practically sense they came out. Broken in cords sound better. They were the best sounding at the time new when I bought them, but I'm sure there may be better ones now. I'm actually surprised they still work.

thanks for the suggestion!! i will have to check them out....

I like Stein's idea about making sure the cord ain't twisted to start with.

I've used coily cords and straight ones. A cupla years ago Elixir sent me one of their new high end cables and I couldn't mess with it enough to make it get twisted. Of course, I don't prance around much either nowadays, but... unless you're stepping over yours a lot, I don't know how you could be twisting it that much unless it's already kinda pre-twisted.

I actually did try a lotta that at one small gig soon after I got the Elixir cable and it didn't twist. I used a 335 clone and an SG clone both. No problem.

m

I like Stein's idea about making sure the cord ain't twisted to start with.

I've used coily cords and straight ones. A cupla years ago Elixir sent me one of their new high end cables and I couldn't mess with it enough to make it get twisted. Of course, I don't prance around much either nowadays, but... unless you're stepping over yours a lot, I don't know how you could be twisting it that much unless it's already kinda pre-twisted.

I actually did try a lotta that at one small gig soon after I got the Elixir cable and it didn't twist. I used a 335 clone and an SG clone both. No problem.

m

hahaha thanks!! that sounded like a decent option until about 5 sec. ago when i looked them up and saw the price.... [flapper][scared]

Yeah, they're a little pricey... but honestly, they seem to be the best I've ever used. I'll admit, though, that I use about anything that still works from back in my olden days on up to some nice stuff I've bought recently to... even the cheapies that come with a new Epi.

<grin>

The reason I like that Elixir is precisely that it's "heavy," but flexy and yet doesn't seem to want to curl up like most. Again, I'm not prancing around like I used to on stage, but... back then I used coiley cords and hadda spend ages untangling them every now and then just like landline telephone cords that get all messed up.

m

I did...

Turkey... <chortle>

m

You're quite them man for admitting it... [biggrin] Fwiw, I clicked on it too :unsure: [tongue]

It can be frustrating just for the cables to get stuck on effx boards or pedals. You can't just yank them, lest your gear or cable suffers some potentially devastating damages.

Desk telephone cords have a tendency to curl up. It is because the user picks up the receiver to take a call, then when he hangs up he unknowingly gives it a 360° rotation from when he picked it up. These rotations stack up until the cord is unwieldily coiled up. Solution? Move the phone to the other side of the desk, or place the phone in the center of the desk. It worked for me.

What does this have to do with your guitar cord? Obviously, when setting up, you do not start out with it curled up. While playing, you must be moving the guitar in a 360° rotation between picking it up and setting it down. Or you are doing a pirouette or the pas de deux with your guitar. Not sure how the telephone analogy should be applied here, but maybe it means you need to move the guitar stand to the other side of you. If you are doing the pas de deux with it, make sure to mix up the direction you are turning, left to right.

Tommy...

Using a longer cord and a shorter distance to an amp, and consistently circling over it does the job of twisting 'em, just as you say. That's true with a coily cord or a straight cord.

It's been a bad habit of mine when standing to pick with a group for ... a long time. <grin>

But the older I get, the more I like the idea of a bar stool; and you don't wiggle nearly as much and fewer cord problems.

Funny thing is that sitting on a bar stool for a rock or country band used to be kinda considered horrid; seems to me I see more folks of all ages doin' it nowadays.

m

As the baby boomers, we, age, I suspect it will be more common and more accepted. I saw Roy Clark a couple years ago at, now defunct, "Nashville North" in Taylorville, Il. He played the entire show standing, except. For when he played, "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago. He played it on a electric twelve string Ovation. I think it is called "The Preacher". He sat for that one. That's a heavy guitar!

Guest FarnsBarns

Tommy...

Using a longer cord and a shorter distance to an amp, and consistently circling over it does the job of twisting 'em, just as you say. That's true with a coily cord or a straight cord.

It's been a bad habit of mine when standing to pick with a group for ... a long time. <grin>

But the older I get, the more I like the idea of a bar stool; and you don't wiggle nearly as much and fewer cord problems.

Funny thing is that sitting on a bar stool for a rock or country band used to be kinda considered horrid; seems to me I see more folks of all ages doin' it nowadays.

m

Coil cables are illegal on British stages, Europe too I think. It's a health a safety thing. Apparently they get hooked up on things and Marshal stacks end up falling over all around you.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?? What brand/kind of cables can I buy that would be best for stage use that wont coil up like that? Money isn't really an object... thanks!! [biggrin]

yea that'd be nice... if i had $300 laying around i could spend [crying]

Fail.

Seriously if they're coiling it's because you're not uncoiling them once in a while. Stand on a chair, hold it at one end and let it unwind, once that's done plug back in and enjoy.

Back in the '60s the coiley ones were fun. Especially the longer lengths. I'll never forget playing a gig with about a 6-inch high stage and dancing with a blonde between me and the guitar just in front of the stage. <grin> Nowadays it'd probably give me back strain even to think seriously about that one... And the foxy blonde nowadays probably is a grandma.

Alas, too soon oldt, too late schmardt.

m

Learn the roadie-wrap for storage, too.

Keeps the twisties to a minimum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbYyaUY5Sk

I felt this deserved a "Next Page" Bump.

Coil cables are illegal on British stages, Europe too I think. It's a health a safety thing. Apparently they get hooked up on things and Marshal stacks end up falling over all around you.

It seems I'm the only American that noticed this problem with Coiled Cables. You can't feel the tension it's putting on the Amp Head, so it slowly walks off the cabinet, or it pulls your combo off the stand. They're the Devils Cables! [scared]

Fail.

wow i just realized this... :unsure: [scared]

i admit that was a pretty bad fail, but i guess what i meant by "money isn't really an object" was really "i am willing to spend any amount of money on better cables, as long as it's not more than around $80-90..." [flapper]

I felt this deserved a "Next Page" Bump.

It seems I'm the only American that noticed this problem with Coiled Cables. You can't feel the tension it's putting on the Amp Head, so it slowly walks off the cabinet, or it pulls your combo off the stand. They're the Devils Cables! [scared]

yea, that cable coiling trick is really cool; ill definitely try that and hope it helps at least a little...

and ouch, that would suck to have your amp come toppling over onstage... not only would it probably put a nice-sized dent in the floor, but it would certainly ruin your amp and probably cause a VERY unpleasant sound!!! [scared][crying]

Archived